Tall Forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'll give this a go

At the moment we have Will Johnson, Rhy Stanley and Paul Cahill all seeimingly on the verge of being cut.
We've been playing an out of form Kosi and not really tried anyone else as forward (mind you we've not cut any of them yet but still) Johnson in particular has the hallmark of a player thatwe will cut b4 giving him a chance

Matty Ferguson spent years on our list and barely played after his 2nd year, showed a lot of potential in his last season taking 5 cont marks vs Melb (missed all his set shots though)
Gone but never played enough kids for us to see what he had

Alan Murray and Mark McGough didn't really get many chances

Barry Brooks played stuff all games despite having a good lastseason in the reserves

Luke Miles showed something andhad potential

Adam Pattison looked ok in his 2 games

Heck even Armitage was seemingly on the verge of being cut having barely gotten a game over 5 years.

I'm not saying that that list is full of champions but the majority of these guys didn't get many chances despite our club lacklustre players infront of them at teams and having lean patches of form too
So after that post you realised what you said was wrong.Everyone of those had to go and if anything some went to late.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Sigh.....

I wish Allen had recovered from his injury.

He would have Been playing a lot IMO. Think all last last when Roo was out, along with most of this year (likely).

I really liked him in his few games he played.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:Sigh.....

He would have Been playing a lot IMO. Think all last last when Roo was out, along with most of this year (likely).

Yep absolute tragedy for the kid.

And pretty devastating for the club also.

No way of knowing how good he would have been, which is a real pity. Just hope JA has more luck in his post football life.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:Sigh.....

Yep absolute tragedy for the kid.

And pretty devastating for the club also.

No way of knowing how good he would have been, which is a real pity. Just hope JA has more luck in his post football life.
He has now had a full hip replacement and is close to finishing his landscape apprenticeship.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Prismal, Mololney, Kingy, That tool that was captain and went to north, carlton got a guy this year that I forget his name also. they also lost a first rounder to the dogs in Djerkura. Geelong isn't any different, just lucky that some speculative talent worked.
Hmmm
they didn't cut the majority of the those players from the list, they wanted out or SC pressures pushed them out.

Moloney they couldn't afford to keep and chose to keep Bartel, Selwood, Abett etc all there other stars instead

Prismal is the same deal except he was less established and also wanted out for more opportunity
Clearly not that great a player anda good 1 to lose

Djerkura... clearly not good enough

King they wanted to cut anyway

Not sure about the Carlton player but you've kind of proved my point

where are the question marks for Geelong?

All very sound decisions

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

Alan Murray had all the tools. Ok speed, strong mark for his size, could run, good goal sense.
Entering his last season he should have had anextra 20 games under his belt... instead he was left languishing in the 2s playing mostly good football. He got a 5-6 game stint in his last season and couldn't take that opportunity so we stamped his papers. He knew his career was on the line... won't be the 1st good player to have choked under pressure.
We failed that kid.

Barry Brooks my understanding was that RL made the decision that he wasn't aggressive enough to make it as a forward so chose not to play him. His form in the 2s warranted more games than he got. Maybe with a little more time in the seniors he could have developed more.

Matthew Ferguson was aplayer we just plain mismanaged. Looked ok off a HBF early then late in his career (with us) we tried him a forward. He showed a little bit as aforward too in his last season but couldn't cement a spot in his 3-4 game opportunity that he was granted

What was the point of Miles... had the tools, barely played him... 2 games, 1 good 1 bad/ok... cut him

McGough and Pattinson never really got a go.

There's been some debate about every 1 of these players when we cut them.

Ryan Gamble on the other hand... not too many cat fans were unhappy about losing him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

Alan Murray had all the tools. Ok speed, strong mark for his size, could run, good goal sense.
Entering his last season he should have had anextra 20 games under his belt... instead he was left languishing in the 2s playing mostly good football. He got a 5-6 game stint in his last season and couldn't take that opportunity so we stamped his papers. He knew his career was on the line... won't be the 1st good player to have choked under pressure.
We failed that kid.

Barry Brooks my understanding was that RL made the decision that he wasn't aggressive enough to make it as a forward so chose not to play him. His form in the 2s warranted more games than he got. Maybe with a little more time in the seniors he could have developed more.

Matthew Ferguson was aplayer we just plain mismanaged. Looked ok off a HBF early then late in his career (with us) we tried him a forward. He showed a little bit as aforward too in his last season but couldn't cement a spot in his 3-4 game opportunity that he was granted

What was the point of Miles... had the tools, barely played him... 2 games, 1 good 1 bad/ok... cut him

Ryan Gamble on the other hand... not too many cat fans were unhappy about losing him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

We failed that kid.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Prismal, Mololney, Kingy, That tool that was captain and went to north, carlton got a guy this year that I forget his name also. they also lost a first rounder to the dogs in Djerkura. Geelong isn't any different, just lucky that some speculative talent worked.
Geelong players elsewhere: Gary & Nathan Ablett, Mumford, King, Moloney, Prismal, Djerrkura, Gamble, Carazzo (ex Geelong Rookie list) & Laidlaw (traded to Carlsmeg this year)

The former captain was Colbert.

So for whatever reason, some Geelong players do end up at other clubs, not much difference to all other teams :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Plugger

We failed that kid.

That is your opinion as a watcher but not one shared by any other coach in the AFL as they werent picked up. Those guys had plenty of games in the seconds to show something but never really stared or if they did when put up to the ones really struggled or in some cases were surplus to our requirements. Apart from Pattinson they were all given at least 2 years and up to about 6. Reckon that is plenty for RL and other coaches to see they just werent good enough.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sorry about the stutter there everyone

Shane Birss is another I would add onto that list.

Well of course it's an opinion. By the time they were passed on, most of those guys were a bit older and more of a risk than taking on younger kids... recruiting middle aged playerswas not the done thing 5 years ago.

Not being picked up again doesn't sway the argument.

It doesn't mean we didn't develop them as well as wecould have.

Don't get me wrong, other than Murray, Ferguson + Birss I don't think any of them had a hope in hell of making it. But considering many on this list had sustained patches of good form in the 2s, showed glimpses in the 1s and and played during a period where we didn't perform brilliantly all the time and had obvious weaknesses... they were all worth more games than they got.

Other guys like Sweeney, Raymond, Connors never looked like making it

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We failed that kid.

Could you repeat that..... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

We failed that kid.

so u think a player to be on our list for 5-6 seasons and only get a handfull of games reflects good practice?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

We failed that kid.

so u think a player to be on our list for 5-6 seasons and only get a handfull of games reflects good practice?
Probably very lucky but it doesnt, as you said, reflect lack of opportunities. Probably to many chances to prove he wasnt good enough anyway.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I respectfully disagree Plugger

I think the opportunity and form form was there to play them all more and we didn't.
Why? Personally I think our former and current coach make poor decisions when it comes to team selection. IMO it's reflected by the lack of 2-4 year players cementing a spot in the 22.

I think it's something we've done poorly for a while.

I guess we'll have to leave it at that

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I respectfully disagree Plugger

I think the opportunity and form form was there to play them all more and we didn't.
Why? Personally I think our former and current coach make poor decisions when it comes to team selection. IMO it's reflected by the lack of 2-4 year players cementing a spot in the 22.

I think it's something we've done poorly for a while.

I guess we'll have to leave it at that
Think that is called recruiting. One question, if these guys may be good enough why hasnt one been picked up by another side?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we're at a stage where we need to play guys regardless of whether they deserve a spot based on their form.

Call it tanking, call it what you like. But this season should be about the future - not taking it one week at a time.

The intention shouldn't be to get 4 points each week. It should be to build the best scenario for ourselves in 2-4 years time.

What some people need to be wary of though, is that some young guys get burnt out if they play too much when they're not physically ready.
The comp's (and clearly our club) been riddled with guys copping OP and having their careers ruined because they went too hard too early.

So the powers that be may thinking to the future, and in doing so may believe that too many games at the top level for certain youngsters may hinder them next year and beyond.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:What some people need to be wary of though, is that some young guys get burnt out if they play too much when they're not physically ready.
The comp's (and clearly our club) been riddled with guys copping OP and having their careers ruined because they went too hard too early.

So the powers that be may thinking to the future, and in doing so may believe that too many games at the top level for certain youngsters may hinder them next year and beyond.
This, so this!

I was getting annoyed with the constant comparisons with kids at other clubs who have had 2-3 good preseasons under their belt.

Steven King answered that question on coaches corner this week, it's about sore bodies, and guys like Ledger who had a 6 wk hamstring injury earlier this year, that is causing the caution...

Not because the coaching staff are allergic to young players.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Think that is called recruiting. One question, if these guys may be good enough why hasnt one been picked up by another side?
Already been covered plugger, please keep up

also the question is not so much would they have made it, but more did we develop them well enough.

I like many at the time was frustrated with our policy, thought not. You've not said anything to sway an opinion 1 way or the other

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Heaps of players miss out because circumstances out side of their control conspired against them. teams like our current list identify one type we need and over load while neglecting other areas.

we stocked up on quick mids like Ledger and Crocker and grabbed no rucks. Laidlaw is the guy the cats cut loose playing for the Blues and has made them a better side. Geelong have stacked marking forwards but in 2 to 3 years may be a few mids short when their core retires.

We currently have lots of rebounding and key pos. backs and would love a ruck and key forward. We will probably stuff the balance up and delist some guys that could have made it if opportunities were available.

Just because a player isn't redrafted or misses an AFL opportunity doesn't mean they wont capable.