Gards comeback has terrible timing.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

gards v jolly , worth a look !

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:gards v jolly , worth a look !
Wasnt the last time they met.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
All of that one quarter :(

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Very close to 2 and the games was nearly lost in that time.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Very close to 2 and the games was nearly lost in that time.
He actually did his hammy in the first, they just kept him out there longer than they should of.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You cannot get help as a ruckman, by another ruckman in the current format......you simply cannot have 2 ruckmen in the 21.....

Your number 2 must be predominantly another position player who chops out.....

Also

Having a pure ruckman playing in another position, doesnt work......natinui and cox are the only ruck pairing in the league.....and they work because of elite mobility and ability....two draft horses is a recipe for failure....

Gardiner and mcevoy....wont work...

One will play ok, the other will struggle

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

it's not going to hurt having another big man option but can't see Gard's return altering our performances this year
use him as a back up and to give Ben a rest occasionally
I like some of the optimism on here but for me our season is over and best focus on players for the future

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

To the top wrote:To the contrary.

If we are to put together a solid post bye performance and push for finals representation this season, Gardiner is a requirement.

As he is next year.

He has just turned 32 and has 180 games under his belt.

So his time out with injury means his body has not taken the battering of some others of his age.

Is a very good ruckman, with good (and missed) aggression and good mobility.

The only other ruckman we have on our list is the fast developing McEvoy whose other skills indicate he could spend time deep in attack - taking more pressure off Riewoldt and Koschitzke - whilst Gardiner carries 60% of the rucking duties.

And it frees Koschitzke (and Riewoldt this year) up from ruck duties allowing our forward line to structure better.

Of those we have over 30 years of age, Hayes and Gardiner are the 2 who are required.

You do not get rid of good, hard bodied, hard at it and skilled footballers.

These 2 are team leaders by their approach and the central positions they occupy.

Stanley, whilst having the height, does not have the body to ruck at this stage of his career - and may never have.

That is the end of our ruck stocks - as confirmed by our rucking of Blake, Koschitzke, Gwilt, Dawson, Fisher and Riewoldt.

And in regards the awe and admiration for Walsh - well let's see him actually play an AFL game.

Given he has not progressed to that level as yet I fail to accept that he is the cure to our rucks, our backline and/or our forward line as some on here present.

I hope he does progress, but to expect him to be a KPP contributor is fanciful at this stage.

No doubt we need an alternative to Dawson - but the jury is still well and truly out on Walsh.
Some very good points. If were thinking of having a crack in 2012, with our depleted ruck stocks, Gardiner is required (even just as a back up). I'd still like to see Kosi have a good run at the 2nd ruck, which he really hasn't had the opportunity to do.

I like the look of Walsh, albeit he is yet to be tested. I'd like to see him tried at full back for a start.

saint58
Club Player

Re: Gards comeback has terrible timing.

saintjake wrote:With both Johnson and Walsh currently pushing
Very hard for selection the comeback of Gards could not of come at a worse time. Huge chance we will see him playing second fiddle to Mcevoy ala kosi.
Playing as a full forward and going into the ruck for a
Bit.
Meaning on past history of how Ross likes his forward line there will be no room for Walsh or Johnson.
Also if Gards builds up some fitness and takes Mcevoys place it will be for the worse, Gards is the past. Mcevoy is the future if this happens Ross and the selection team would of learnt nothing from the past[/list]
I hate to say it but i dont think they have learnt from the the past.
Look at Geelong and Collingwood Carlton,Hawthorn the reason why they are constiantly strong is that they introduce new players to there teams.

Key position players and allow them time to grow and make mistakes the new players have confidence that they will grow with the side and learn from them.

Not like the Saints key position players they were introduced this year.
Archer,Johnson,Stanley,lynch all got 2 games and if they didnt take big marks or kick a bag of goals they were out.Look at sippos he is a real find but he was 1 out as our only tall most of the time.

Now the coaching staff have said that they have scraped the youth policy for this year and keep the old guys in well that is real head in the sand stuff.

Now gardy is back guys like Walsh and the others will not be playing this year me might as well look to trade them to gws,iam sure we could get something for ARcher,Walsh,Johnson,stanley,lynch teams are allways loonking for big bodyed players.

We have the core of a team that can challenge for the Premership in 2012 but we will need some youth to add to the experience wake up Coaches.?

lefty
Club Player

The obviously future ruck for us has to be a McEvoy/Stanley combo.

If Stanley can win a 100m sprint race, I see no issues with him being mobile, just needs to perform, needs time...

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Gards comeback has terrible timing.

saintjake wrote:With both Johnson and Walsh currently pushing
Very hard for selection the comeback of Gards could not of come at a worse time. Huge chance we will see him playing second fiddle to Mcevoy ala kosi.
Playing as a full forward and going into the ruck for a
Bit.
Meaning on past history of how Ross likes his forward line there will be no room for Walsh or Johnson.
Also if Gards builds up some fitness and takes Mcevoys place it will be for the worse, Gards is the past. Mcevoy is future if this happens Ross and the selection team would of learnt nothing from the past[/list]
Play Gardiner as a permanent forward, we have no one else and it gives us another option so we are not just relying on Roo. Simply swap Gardiner and Kozi's roles. So play Gardiner more as a forward and kozi more in the ruck

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss