The Scully Phenomena

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Blanket TV coverage, particularly if it is "live," will eventually take crowds away and cause Memberships to drop. Look at the NRL - low attendances, high TV audience and "privately owned" Clubs. :!:

Most footy club members are the sons/daughters of keen members, who have taken them to the football over the years. As this link breaks down, other entertainment "options" will begin to take over. Result - lower memberships and 12 - 15,000 attending matches. How would that look!

In Europe and USA, the populations are so big that tickets are almost impossible to get, so they watch their football on TV - but that's not the culture here.
Look it is fine if live footy on TV means that attendances drop a fair bit, together with membership revenue PROVIDED the AFL compensate clubs properly for the loss.

I already hear of plenty of people watching delayed matches on TV rather than going to the game - non members citing the cost factor. Well I reckon that's a crock as a $20 GA ticket is cheap entertainment, but I've always had a preference to being there as opposed to watching on TV, and am a member.....more to the point there are plenty of fair weather fans that only want to go to a handful of games each year.

Live footy against the gate is an essential in this era we live in, and we are several years behind best practice. The AFL should have renegoiated the TV rights a couple of years ago and gone the live model already IMO if they were smart enough/capable of twisting 7's arm!!!

It's a shame Foxtel aren't a listed company in their own right - I reckon if they were their shares would go off next season!
Some of what you are saying is simply not true. A day at the footy is no longer cheap entertainment. Saying $20 GA is over simplifying things dramatically. Add a partner and a couple of kids to the equation then a drink each and a pie on top of transport costs. All of a sudden your $20 has become $130 and it is now an expensive past-time. This every two weeks means you are looking at $1500 for the season for a family without even considering finals etc.... That is a lot of money for a lot of families.

Watching it on telly is a very viable alternative for a lot of people because of the cost factor. This is being reflected very well in the latest TV license.

I do agree that live televised games are a must for the game to progress and grow. GWS is not about getting people in Sydney's western suburbs tripping down to ANZ stadium on a Saturday afternoon but about getting people in western Sydney tuning in on the box.

Yes live crowds will drop but this is not necessarily a problem. Look at the premier league in England most stadiums hold between 20 - 30 K and are no where near full most games. This has stopped there being more money in the game now than ever before and it is all on the back of the television market.
Footy is cheap compared to just about any other sport in Australia. I am unsure how 2 kids and 2 adults plus transport gets anywhere near $130. A family ticket is about $45. Must spend a lot on transport. There is also membership options if you are going to attend about 11 games. The way I see it, it is closer to $400 a year plus transport and you may play in finals. It is fantastic value and has always been.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Blanket TV coverage, particularly if it is "live," will eventually take crowds away and cause Memberships to drop. Look at the NRL - low attendances, high TV audience and "privately owned" Clubs. :!:

Most footy club members are the sons/daughters of keen members, who have taken them to the football over the years. As this link breaks down, other entertainment "options" will begin to take over. Result - lower memberships and 12 - 15,000 attending matches. How would that look!

In Europe and USA, the populations are so big that tickets are almost impossible to get, so they watch their football on TV - but that's not the culture here.
Look it is fine if live footy on TV means that attendances drop a fair bit, together with membership revenue PROVIDED the AFL compensate clubs properly for the loss.

I already hear of plenty of people watching delayed matches on TV rather than going to the game - non members citing the cost factor. Well I reckon that's a crock as a $20 GA ticket is cheap entertainment, but I've always had a preference to being there as opposed to watching on TV, and am a member.....more to the point there are plenty of fair weather fans that only want to go to a handful of games each year.

Live footy against the gate is an essential in this era we live in, and we are several years behind best practice. The AFL should have renegoiated the TV rights a couple of years ago and gone the live model already IMO if they were smart enough/capable of twisting 7's arm!!!

It's a shame Foxtel aren't a listed company in their own right - I reckon if they were their shares would go off next season!
Some of what you are saying is simply not true. A day at the footy is no longer cheap entertainment. Saying $20 GA is over simplifying things dramatically. Add a partner and a couple of kids to the equation then a drink each and a pie on top of transport costs. All of a sudden your $20 has become $130 and it is now an expensive past-time. This every two weeks means you are looking at $1500 for the season for a family without even considering finals etc.... That is a lot of money for a lot of families.

Watching it on telly is a very viable alternative for a lot of people because of the cost factor. This is being reflected very well in the latest TV license.

I do agree that live televised games are a must for the game to progress and grow. GWS is not about getting people in Sydney's western suburbs tripping down to ANZ stadium on a Saturday afternoon but about getting people in western Sydney tuning in on the box.

Yes live crowds will drop but this is not necessarily a problem. Look at the premier league in England most stadiums hold between 20 - 30 K and are no where near full most games. This has stopped there being more money in the game now than ever before and it is all on the back of the television market.
Footy is cheap compared to just about any other sport in Australia. I am unsure how 2 kids and 2 adults plus transport gets anywhere near $130. A family ticket is about $45. Must spend a lot on transport. There is also membership options if you are going to attend about 11 games. The way I see it, it is closer to $400 a year plus transport and you may play in finals. It is fantastic value and has always been.
You are right Plugger, hard to see how it gets to $130, but try adding in some food costs...and it quickly rises. Family of 4, each having the equivalent of a bottle of water and a pie or chips quickly adds another $40+

Guess you can not eat and save though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

You are right Plugger, hard to see how it gets to $130, but try adding in some food costs...and it quickly rises. Family of 4, each having the equivalent of a bottle of water and a pie or chips quickly adds another $40+

Guess you can not eat and save though.
I spend at least $60 to $80 every time I go to the footy and that doesnt include entrance and that is for myself only. However I can afford that. If I was struggling I would still go but either bring food and drink or do without. The only thing you have to pay for is entering the ground.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I usually take a packed lunch and if i do buy hot food, its away from the TD.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!