At long last no change next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gamble and Gram did enough to keep their spots.

Raph was borderline: he made his usual swag of mistakes, but did some good one per centers and a couple of good tackles. If someone has to go (eg, if Joey comes back) it would be between him and Simpkin IMO (as usual these days, I thought we were one midfielder light.

I guess Walsh for Simpkin is another option, but I'm not sure he'd have a suitable match up.

I thought Zac was OK tonight as a pinch hitter in the rucks. However, from the TV close-ups, he didn't look like he was enjoying it too much.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: I hope they give him a run on the wing, which might free him up a bit and get some of that run back into his game. It's not like we're short of options to replace him in the backline.
Yep, it's obvious and I have been saying the same for years. You can't turn everyone into a close-checking defender. Free him up to create.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:To come to think about it, one of the stronger parts of our game was the tackling.

One tackle of Gamble's comes to mind in from the last quarter and it actually saved what seemed to be a certain Footscray goal :shock:
91 is our highest tackle count for the year. It's one positive sign in a game that was riddled with errors... one can hope if the effort keeps being made the confidence and results will come.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
rexy
SS Life Member

I will be really disappointed if Gram gets picked next week, people can quote the stats 7 tackles 4 hard ball gets etc, but for every hard ball get there is at least as many times when he chose not to go, not went for the hard ball and didnt get it but just chose not to go hard. On top of this his disposal is awful, he is goal hungry and he does not shepard.

Been a big Raph supporter for a whilst but he might just not be up to it?

Need to play guys with SKILLS, Sippos Lynch for me.

Maybe this year?
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I think if Kosi plays a half decent game for Sandy, he will come in.
As good as ben was last night, he does need someone else who can ruck for him.
We need another big forward who can mark, because last night our forward line was once again dysfunctional.
Too many times we won the ball back from the dogs across half back, only to find there was nothing ahead to kick the ball too, or a heavily outnumbered Roo or Milney.
Personally, if Sipposs plays well again, I'd like to see him come in and see how he goes being the third mark up forward.
naturally Joey comes in if fit as we really missed him last night across the midfield.
Don't get too carried away with last night's win, the four points are good, but if we play like that next week against Geelong, it will be a hiding similar to the 08 Qualifying Final.
Mind you, I will be hoping Geelong has a good win tonight, as they will be more vulnerable next week for defeat.
We can beat them, but we will have to find that Fremantle form to do so.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Subject to the availibility of Montagna, I'd like to see the same side get a run against Geelong. There were some encouraging signs there last night (amongst all the negatives folk can find in a win)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

all i know is that gamble did more and went in harder than gram.
raph, taking all the good (none), okay (some), and bad (few - but costly) into account, needs to do much better.
bakes is a small forward option in snatches, but will be glued to sj next week.
milne is a team player and dependable anywhere.
simpkin looks like blake - perservere with him.
gilbert should not be started forward.
i owe ben an apology - always liked his work around the ground, but has been competitive in the ruck these last two weeks - not his fault he is our no. 1 ruck.
armo is getting there. steven is there.
zac is rarely in our worst, rarely in our best.

tackling was high because we played a team that went nowhere. they are horribly out of form. but a win is a win.
i think if we are capable of beating most teams this season, even playing poorly, as long as we can sustain pressure. but we will always leave the door open with our playing style, hence we must play four quarters of intense footy - as a result our younger players will need to be rested often.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Subject to the availibility of Montagna, I'd like to see the same side get a run against Geelong. There were some encouraging signs there last night (amongst all the negatives folk can find in a win)
They're the top team, and we can beat them...but let's not get too carried away, pick the best team available. Monty is a must if fit.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Gamble - 15 poss, 8 cont, 1 clearance, 7 tackles, 30 'pressure acts' (most for the match), 1 goal, 7 score inv.

Gram - 22 poss, 7 cont, 4 clearances, 4 tackles, 16 'pressure acts' - in 78% game time

:shock:
2 players that know they're being scrutinised like hell to keep their spots.

Show me their averages in these departments - I'm guessing 1's & 2's.

It's simply not good enough to put in an effort simply because you're back from the VFL that week. You need to make that your trademark effort.
I've put their full match stats up - why can't players lift when their place in the team is in danger, or even on the list ?
Averages might be poor - but they played ok when they had to.

So we choose when to say 'you're only good as your last game' when it suits

The whole club is under scrutiny, we had a couple on here wanting Goddard and Riewoldt traded

No Contract, No contact :shock:
SaintSimmo
Club Player

i think it needs saying, how bloody good has jacky steven played the past 3 weeks??!!!

He is gonna be a great player, his second efforts and tackling is amazing, just needs to work on his kicking and he will become an A grade midfielder.

His effort on the members wing when layed a critical tackle on a dogs player then hit the ball back into play on the boundary line then ran on to get a hard ball get in the 50 and dish out the handball to dal santo who kicked a critical goal, was a fantastic piece of play.

Sainter for life.
PJ
SS Life Member

Simpkin will be OK in the future but not sure he did enough last nght. If we don't have a tall come in (Kosi, Archer, etc) then I wouldn't mind Walsh for Simpkin and Zac in the mobile role 2nd ruck.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

IN: Walsh Montagna

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

in a good position when difficult to think of an out and Monty is due back in.

we have to play Gilbert back (please), which may mean Simpkin to take a rest unless you want to use him on iPod which would be a big ask, (Gwilt has done the job in the past).

Dawson may then get Vardy (198cm) and Gilbert on Stokes?

looking forward to Sandy today (Kosi) - Siposs may get another role on Scarlet next week similar to Maxwell? Can't have Scarlet running around like he was allowed to last night.

need Dal Santo's contested possessions up - not convinced when he plays forward despite his two goals.

Ledger should get a full game

Steven is a top top bloke!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Apart from a 10min burst ini the 3rd quarter I didnt think Gamble offered us anything really

A bag by Siposs tomorrow may well see a recall?
Agree. Gamble is rubbish go Sippa!

Also think Simpkin is not up to it yet and would like Lynch if fit, to replace him.

NOT Tommy Walsh though!!!

bergsone
SS Life Member

Gilbert must be looking over his shoulder,cant have too many games like that again :oops:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Prefer to see Montagna having another week to get right and then back in the side after the bye. The Cats game is somewhat academic now in terms of a fight for ladder positions, and is more of a chance to give some of our youngsters valuable big game experience. Go with the same side for mine!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)