Tom Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
saint66au wrote:Did I doze off and miss all Ledgers heroics in the NAB Cup?

I saw him play one game, get maybe 6 touches, one or two of which hit a target nicely

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but the way some people are carrying on, I must have missed the other 30 touches 10 clearances and a dozen hard ball gets
Sippos hasnt had 5 goals and 30 touches either - but theres a bit to see and like.

I dont watch NAB Cup for stats, I watch for players responses under pressure, decision making/skills and ball winning ability along with contested efforts and pace.

I liked what I saw in Ledger - his attack on the contest impressed me.

Geez! Such a small sample size for an analysis method so complex!
I didnt know I was sampling for a statistical methods analysis- I call it observation.

We dont get much opportunity but sometimes in a small window you see stuff you like and dont like about players - aka Sippos's skills under pressure. As supporters its all we have - at this time.

“Yeah….nah””
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
saintbrat wrote:anyone ask Sam crocker what happened to his arm' shoulder on saturday?

had obviously goen through hosptial drive through to collect his x/rays on the way to the function.
What was wrong with Crock's shoulder?
he had arm in sling and x-ray package in hand
but not listed in injury report so maybe it settled...
Trained really well today, no sign of any injury. His field kicking and goal kicking is only second to Siposs!! We got a good one here.
Saintsational's own Sammy Crocker

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
tony74 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
saintbrat wrote:anyone ask Sam crocker what happened to his arm' shoulder on saturday?

had obviously goen through hosptial drive through to collect his x/rays on the way to the function.
Trained really well today, no sign of any injury. His field kicking and goal kicking is only second to Siposs!! We got a good one here.
Saintsational's own Sammy Crocker

Has a brilliant left foot! Amazing for his size!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Crock is a 2012 onwards prospect though. He's tiny!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:We dont get much opportunity but sometimes in a small window you see stuff you like and dont like about players - aka Sippos's skills under pressure. As supporters its all we have - at this time.
As somebody who likes to watch the junior champs each year, I whole-heartedly agree. You can see things you like about a player in a short window. You might not be able to say that player-x is going to be a superstar or a dud, you you can at least see things you like about a player's game. I was really excited about Siposs after the first Sandy game and I'm really excited about him now. I look forward to seeing Crocker's left boot and Ledger's grit when they eventually make their debuts. I've really enjoyed Cripps first few games.

Those are all emotional responses based on observation. You don't need stats for that. We're not trying to scientifically prove a player's impending brilliance here. We're just saying we like something.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:We dont get much opportunity but sometimes in a small window you see stuff you like and dont like about players - aka Sippos's skills under pressure. As supporters its all we have - at this time.
As somebody who likes to watch the junior champs each year, I whole-heartedly agree. You can see things you like about a player in a short window. You might not be able to say that player-x is going to be a superstar or a dud, you you can at least see things you like about a player's game. I was really excited about Siposs after the first Sandy game and I'm really excited about him now. I look forward to seeing Crocker's left boot and Ledger's grit when they eventually make their debuts. I've really enjoyed Cripps first few games.

Those are all emotional responses based on observation. You don't need stats for that. We're not trying to scientifically prove a player's impending brilliance here. We're just saying we like something.
Agree.

I remember going to Princess Park and watching a young fwd we had drafted (whose name now escapes me!!) and being impressed with the way he moved and how he seemed to be able to read the play - he did his hip flexor muscle in the Finals against Pies and retired last year?????.....anyway, you see signs but as you say there is no guarantee of success long term.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I remember going to Princess Park and watching a young fwd we had drafted (whose name now escapes me!!) and being impressed with the way he moved and how he seemed to be able to read the play - he did his hip flexor muscle in the Finals against Pies and retired last year?????.....anyway, you see signs but as you say there is no guarantee of success long term.
Jarryd Allen

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Teflon wrote:I remember going to Princess Park and watching a young fwd we had drafted (whose name now escapes me!!) and being impressed with the way he moved and how he seemed to be able to read the play - he did his hip flexor muscle in the Finals against Pies and retired last year?????.....anyway, you see signs but as you say there is no guarantee of success long term.
Jarryd Allen
Thats him. Thought he had prospects - great hands that praccymatch at Carlton that day...I left chuffed. Such a shame.

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

I all fairness, people arnt just saying they like what they see... Some expect him to play and contribute 22 games this season. Some reckon he still will even given the fact its round 10.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I all fairness, people arnt just saying they like what they see... Some expect him to play and contribute 22 games this season. Some reckon he still will even given the fact its round 10.
I havent read that?

I have read people are excited and rightly so, long way to go but a bit of excitement in the kid is surely ok?

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I havent read that?

I have read people are excited and rightly so, long way to go but a bit of excitement in the kid is surely ok?

Didnt what I just write insinuate that excitement is ok? I think I did.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I havent read that?

No, you bordered on 'hysteria' likening that "some" ...(the nameless)....want him to play 22 games even though we are at round 10.

Tad stronger than "excited" Id think - I could be wrong, though I'm just going off what you actually posted....

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I havent read that?

No, you bordered on 'hysteria' likening that "some" ...(the nameless)....want him to play 22 games even though we are at round 10.

Tad stronger than "excited" Id think - I could be wrong, though I'm just going off what you actually posted....
I've bolded the section(s) of my post that may be of some assistance.

Pretty obvious how some get caught into quoting loops on here...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I havent read that?

I've bolded the section(s) of my post that may be of some assistance.

Pretty obvious how some get caught into quoting loops on here...[/quote]

Yes....yes it is.

Thanks for bolding - its easier to read than your insinuations.

Why not just say what you mean?

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Jarryd Allen
Correct...and I saw the same..a NAB Challenge game v Collingwood (or was it North?) at Princes Park where he played 15mins of footy that had us all going WOW!!

I agree with you Teffers, sometimes you just see something spesh in a kid not based on stats. I see it in Siposs, I saw it in Jarryd Allen and I actually see it in Jamie Cripps (anyone else think he moves a little like Joel Smith at the same age?)
I dont see it in Winmar yet...and I didnt see it in Ledger. To me Crocker looked hte better of the two, based on just the one game they played together

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Scoop
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

I did notice him feeling his shoulder and moving it around a few times today during the drills, however, he did everything asked of him. His kicking is superb, but he does lack size and will need to do a fair bit in the gym.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Jarryd Allen
Correct...and I saw the same..a NAB Challenge game v Collingwood (or was it North?) at Princes Park where he played 15mins of footy that had us all going WOW!!

I agree with you Teffers, sometimes you just see something spesh in a kid not based on stats. I see it in Siposs, I saw it in Jarryd Allen and I actually see it in Jamie Cripps (anyone else think he moves a little like Joel Smith at the same age?)
I dont see it in Winmar yet...and I didnt see it in Ledger. To me Crocker looked hte better of the two, based on just the one game they played together
Funny you mentioned who you didnt see it in (I wasnt gonna go there but...)...I havent seen much in Heyne tbh....and I never saw anything in howard.....

I'll get shot for this but I actually thought Brooks had something but I guess this is where you also need to factor in attitude.

“Yeah….nah””
DWOODROW
Club Player

The same thing u saw in Ledger Teflon I,m pretty sure I am seeing.
Look forward to him getting a game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No shame in mentioning Brooks teflon. I think a lot of good judges at two clubs saw it. He was very coordinated for his size. Hard for outsiders to judge attitude and desire. Similar with Gaertner I guess.

Anyways little Ledger just goes off. Love him. Pocket rocket like Calthorpe (when Calthorpe was good).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Is he still Ross' pet or has Aryn Sippos taken over? !!
i think ledger and cripps are coach's pets. :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Eastern wrote:Is he still Ross' pet or has Aryn Sippos taken over? !!
i think ledger and cripps are coach's pets.
is this bad news for Lenny :wink:
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: I'll get shot for this but I actually thought Brooks had something but I guess this is where you also need to factor in attitude.
Unfortunately Brooks was a "big Fiora". Even with his knee Brooks could have been a player...but like Fiora just could not get it together enough to deliver his best.

Though I harsh a bit on Fioar as he played a goodly number of games as ok player....but he could have beena star....

Back on Recent Thread Topic

It is called be a footy fan. I have always liked to watch the emerging talent...and look for glimpses of real talent from players that may emerge.

I used to love in when the reserves played before the Seniors and used to arrive early watch most, if not all, the reserves.

I clearly remember moments like Everitt for example playing in the reserves against the Cats at Kardinai Park.

There was this passage when this huge gangly kid, just sprinted bent down to cleanly pick up the ball better than most rovers (they had rovers back then!!!) andand drilled the pass.

Man I thought 200cm and blessed with skill and agaility like that he could be a superstar. If he had not done his knee we would most likely have won our second GF with him in the ruck.

Of the current crop..

* Ledger I loved in the NAB..for how he played.

* Siposs. Blind Freddy can see the talent. POISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Cripps. Good players just seem to have the knack at being in the right place at the right time. For this reason it seems most appropriate that he is wearing 35 who was a master at it.

* Steven. It previous years he would just show these flashes of brilliance where that suggested that good to very good player could emerge. Saw it in the seniors against the cats last year..but has been dimmed this year...butr seemed to suddenly re-emerge aginst the Demons.

* Stanley: has gone quite this year...but I sitll thing there is a bundle of talent struggling to emerge. certainly saw it last year. He is stil young and gangly.....

Have not really seen enough of our other new kids yet. Looking forward to it though.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 25 May 2011 1:45pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
savatage
SS Life Member

Tom Curren will emerge at some point.

BallBanger
Club Player

If Jack steven learns to stay on his feet will be another N.Burke....but if he keeps falling over will be just another gop. Does he need to learn to play in different boots?

Is Ledger really that quick..I've not seen much of him but he appeared to be one paced, be good to think he had other gears

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:If Jack Steven learns to stay on his feet will be another N.Burke....but if he keeps falling over will be just another gop. Does he need to learn to play in different boots?

Is Ledger really that quick..I've not seen much of him but he appeared to be one paced, be good to think he had other gears
Alas, Jack's a complete dud. Can't run, kick or mark - or stay on his feet. Just why he has so many boosters is a bit of a mystery. He gets two kicks late in a game that is over and people give him votes! Go figure. In comparison, Tom Ledger is a real possibility. But he ain't played a game yet, let alone 50. Before declaring someone a "gun", it is best to see them over a few years at the top level.