Footy classified

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's not an easy task and it is full of potentially bad twists and turns. From a strategic perspective, will it be a short, medium, or longer term approach. :?:

a) We don't want another Richmond or Melbourne - poor recruiting and bottoming out for years.
b) If as others say, around 6 players need to be moved on, how can they be fully replaced in only 1 or 2 years?
c) Some of our best players, who don't want to waste away, may look at Free Agency. Frankston travel is a drag for several of them.
d) We need mids & forwards. Who is coming up - of Siposs, Cripps, Archer, Smith, Stanley, assume only two will make a worthwhile impact.
e) Trade a couple of top, older players for good younger players. However, if one or two go, will others "walk," as in Free Agency.

There is no easy answer, as we have seen by past Club mistakes/disasters, the risk is high. Do we have the right people in Management, Coaching, Recruiting? If they are not the right people, then how in the hell can we expect a good outcome. :!: :!:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Junction Oval wrote: Frankston travel is a drag for several of them.
FFS, how many times do we have to dig up that dead horse so we can flog it again?

They play with us so they train at Seaford...... if that makes a difference we are better off without them. Don't need half-hearted players. :x

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I used to have to drive from Port Melbourne to Box Hill every day in traffic for work.

Best job I ever had.

Drive was the price.

Absolute non-issue.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I used to have to drive from Port Melbourne to Box Hill every day in traffic for work.

Best job I ever had.

Drive was the price.

Absolute non-issue.
Good luck to Kennett with his hare brained idea for a NZ based team.

Considering virtually the whole team would need to be made up of Australian players, how's he hope to get that many stars to relocate!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Apparently before the 1st WW NZ had 16 or so leagues or competitions playing Aussie Rules. It was quite big there then. Maybe not such a hairbrained scheme at all.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Dr Spaceman wrote:Good luck to Kennett with his hare brained idea for a NZ based team.

Considering virtually the whole team would need to be made up of Australian players, how's he hope to get that many stars to relocate!
And some people are still banging on about Seaford! :lol:

But wouldn't an idea from Jeffrey be a hair-brained idea?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Thinline wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I think you will find Raph was one of our best in the 2009 finals campaign!
Like Gram's GF that year - it's a long time ago.
Agreed...... As Henry Ford said "History is bunk".
Frustrating to see what Gram is capable of in the 2009 GF and to never see that effort again.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Apparently before the 1st WW NZ had 16 or so leagues or competitions playing Aussie Rules. It was quite big there then. Maybe not such a hairbrained scheme at all.
Well if you're going to fill any NZ team with locals how competive do you really think they'd be?

Let's be honest, a scheme such as this would rely heavily on luring established stars away from the trendy bars and cafes of Port Melbourne. And good luck with that!

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

So over hearing about Seaford being an issue - I think a few need to get a grip and realise it is not the arse end of the world!

It takes me 40mins from Seaford to the city - SHOCK HORROR!!

And if any of them even bothered to come over to the beach side of Seaford they would see we actually have an excellent cafe located on the beach and the area isn't made up of nuff nuff's and toothless wonders.

BTW this is Mrs Seaford_Saint not the Mr.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:So over hearing about Seaford being an issue - I think a few need to get a grip and realise it is not the arse end of the world!

It takes me 40mins from Seaford to the city - SHOCK HORROR!!

And if any of them even bothered to come over to the beach side of Seaford they would see we actually have an excellent cafe located on the beach and the area isn't made up of nuff nuff's and toothless wonders.

BTW this is Mrs Seaford_Saint not the Mr.
+100.

How long does it take to get from Fountain Gate to the city?

Our opponents on the weekend moved from trendy Hawthorn to the sticks and they certainly don't appear to be sooking :roll:

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

At a guess I would say an extra 20mins from Fountain Gate - the infrastructure built now for all the house and land packages out that way mean's it's all freeway.

But don't hold me to that :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:At a guess I would say an extra 20mins from Fountain Gate - the infrastructure built now for all the house and land packages out that way mean's it's all freeway.

A trip from a Port Melbourne townhouse to Waverley would hardly be enjoyable I imagine.

Guess Buddy, Hodge etc must have bought villas in Rowville as the traveling doesn't seem to be getting them down :wink:

SinCitySaint
Club Player

So if Seaford is a problem for our players then they must be a bunch of Prima-donnas who will only be attracted to three or four other clubs anyway.
They would go to Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond and that is about it.
North don't have the money to cash in on Free agency and are probably heading towards either tassie or Ballarat.
In traffic Essendon will take longer to get to than Seaford.
Geelong is Geelong, Melbourne is at Casey, Hawthorn in Glen Waverly and the Bulldogs way out west and crossing the bridge for training in the morning will take longer than driving down to Seaford.
Obviously if traveling to Seaford is too hard on their delicate sensibilities then moving interstate is right out.

A forty minute commute to work everyday is not an issue and any player that thinks that that is too much of a hardship doesn't have what it takes to survive in a tough environment like the AFL.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

Seaford_Saint wrote:At a guess I would say an extra 20mins from Fountain Gate - the infrastructure built now for all the house and land packages out that way mean's it's all freeway.

An extra 20 minutes and the rest. They don't call it the Monash Car Park for nothing you know.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySaint wrote:So if Seaford is a problem for our players then they must be a bunch of Prima-donnas who will only be attracted to three or four other clubs anyway.
North don't have the money to cash in on Free agency and are probably heading towards either tassie or Ballarat.
Geelong is Geelong, Melbourne is at Casey, Hawthorn in Glen Waverly and the Bulldogs way out west and crossing the bridge for training in the morning will take longer than driving down to Seaford.
Obviously if traveling to Seaford is too hard on their delicate sensibilities then moving interstate is right out.

A forty minute commute to work everyday is not an issue and any player that thinks that that is too much of a hardship doesn't have what it takes to survive in a tough environment like the AFL.
Maybe that's why our players have so much trouble in "traffic" :wink:

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

SinCitySaint wrote:So if Seaford is a problem for our players then they must be a bunch of Prima-donnas who will only be attracted to three or four other clubs anyway.

I will say it does take longer in peak times - the Mr commute's to Brisbane every week to work so I reckon they could have it worse!

We have seen Roo driving to Portsea in his spare time so it all can't be that bad 8-)

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

SinCitySaint wrote:

An extra 20 minutes and the rest. They don't call it the Monash Car Park for nothing you know.
It's better now the 4th lane is open - personally I think they should all take a leaf out of the great mans book and move to Mt Eliza :lol:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:There is no need to bottom out. We can retain a mid-level on the ladder whist we rebuild.
It depends though.

If the belief is that we think/want to/expect that our next crack will be whilst Goddard, Dal and Roo are still playing - then a slow and steady 'mid-level of the ladder' type rebuild can't happen.

You'd need to get several high quality picks fast, and have them with at least 50 games under their belts within 3 seasons.

However, if we accept that it won't happen whilst Roo and Dal are with us (probably say 5 years) then we can take a bit longer to rebuild. Which means we can probably afford to only add 1 or 2 kids a year and ease them into it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nice work Gary... i see why you get paid the big bucks.

Geeez does anyone think things through be4 they speak.

From the top

Ray - Keep (ranked in the 16-22 - quality depth player)
Gram - Keep (as above)
Dawson - Keep (starting 18)
Raph Clarke - Keep (starting 18)
Kosi - Keep (see Gram)
McQualter - Delist
Baker - Retire
Jones - Delist
Blake - Keep (pure depth player)
Dempster - Delist
Gardiner - Retire
Gilbert - Consider a trade

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Nice work Gary... i see why you get paid the big bucks.

Geeez does anyone think things through be4 they speak.

From the top

Ray - Keep (ranked in the 16-22 - quality depth player)
Gram - Keep (as above)
Dawson - Keep (starting 18)
Raph Clarke - Keep (starting 18)
Kosi - Keep (see Gram)
McQualter - Delist
Baker - Retire
Jones - Delist
Blake - Keep (pure depth player)
Dempster - Delist
Gardiner - Retire
Gilbert - Consider a trade
I would have thought one was his opinion and one is yours. There are people on here who disagree with what you said as well. Should they they think before typing?

Beekay
SS Life Member

Well it depends if you think we can honestly have a crack next year, which I don't think we can unless we secure two high class clearance midfielders.

That's not going to happen, so personally ...

Ray - Keep (bottom 6 player, but you need them, young enough)
Gram - Delist (is rather symbolic of our overall problem - mentally weak, puts teammates under pressure constantly, not a smart player)
Dawson - Keep
Raph Clarke - Delist
Kosi - Delist
McQualter - Delist (maybe one more year to assist with transition)
Baker - Retire
Jones - Delist (see Mini)
Blake - Retire/Delist
Dempster - Delist
Gardiner - Retire
Gilbert - Keep (rough patch, we can afford to keep a couple of idiots)
Gamble - Delist
Polo - Delist

That's 10 players..... when has that happened before? I honestly don't know.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I would have thought one was his opinion and one is yours. There are people on here who disagree with what you said as well. Should they they think before typing?
Plugger, clearly didn't articulate myself before I finished typing and for that I apologise.

I meant to add, there's no logical way we can delist that many players in 1 hit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I would have thought one was his opinion and one is yours. There are people on here who disagree with what you said as well. Should they they think before typing?
Plugger, clearly didn't articulate myself before I finished typing and for that I apologise.

I meant to add, there's no logical way we can delist that many players in 1 hit.
Now that is 100% correct. I reckon 7 is the most you can delist and that probably is assuming an upgrade or 2.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Now that is 100% correct. I reckon 7 is the most you can delist and that probably is assuming an upgrade or 2.
Walsh will have to be upgraded unless either Tommy or the club pull the pin on the Irish experiment.

Curren and/or Andreoli may come into consideration depending on how they progress throughout the rest of the year at Sandy. Either may be preferred to a late draft pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Walsh will have to be upgraded unless either Tommy or the club pull the pin on the Irish experiment.

Curren and/or Andreoli may come into consideration depending on how they progress throughout the rest of the year at Sandy. Either may be preferred to a late draft pick.
Yes and there is Archer as well but unless there is big improvement what are they going to give us next year. I be more tempted to leave them as rookies or delist if they dont improve especially the second year rookies. I suppose it gets down to how many others we delist. There are even a couple of young players who could be in trouble like Cahill and Simpkin.