"Broken heart syndrome"? Give me a spell!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

PJ wrote:Perhaps take the boys for a stroll through the cancer ward for some perspective. Yep we all get troden on but you get back up. Each week is a new chance to play the game, a chance to appreciate what you've got. Yep they're smacked around a little from the close defeats but where would you rather be as a player in September - in the stands? Maybe a season without any finals action will stiffen a bit of resolve.
Maybe take the supporters with them. You think the players need to get over it, well so do the supporters with their expectations.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny: I don't need to visit a cancer ward for some perspective mate. As for the "expectations" of supporters? Is it really asking a lot for some EFFORT from the players? My OP is simply saying that if we are looking to "mental scars" as the reason we're seeing what we've seen so far, then the team are in a whole world of trouble!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
PJ
SS Life Member

Maybe take the supporters with them. You think the players need to get over it, well so do the supporters with their expectations.
Maybe they do st lenny and if that's what it takes. Everybody needs a little reality check from time to time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

I dont understand what that has to do with being mentally stuffed. Who says they feel sorry for themselves they are mantally shot from losing 2 GF's in a row and also drawing one.
Mental strength is about thresholds, being able to reinvigorate yourself, mentally and physically. Seeing how other people are doing it in the world outside of AFL can give you a whole new perspective on how hard some people have to do it to get up again after knocks.

What's with the "feeling sorry for themselves" angle - are you struggling a bit tonight p66? The cancer patients I know and have known are some of the bravest and most inspiring people I've met - what's so hard to understand about the benefit of that experience?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
StSteven
Club Player

Get on with it......we look pathetic against the Cats who have been winning over a period that we were supposed to be better than them. Boy I am sick of this mentality...... Who was supposed to be the better team and who is?

Get a grip.

starsign
Club Player

I'm with you Dave
Get over it boys, get on with it and into it
Or Get Off to Sandy and spend some time contemplating what you are really missing ...

Of course we are ALL hurting
and perhaps we can all do with a good check-up from the neck up
But it's time to bite the bullet or bite your bum for some!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I dont understand what that has to do with being mentally stuffed. Who says they feel sorry for themselves they are mantally shot from losing 2 GF's in a row and also drawing one.
Mental strength is about thresholds, being able to reinvigorate yourself, mentally and physically. Seeing how other people are doing it in the world outside of AFL can give you a whole new perspective on how hard some people have to do it to get up again after knocks.

What's with the "feeling sorry for themselves" angle - are you struggling a bit tonight p66? The cancer patients I know and have known are some of the bravest and most inspiring people I've met - what's so hard to understand about the benefit of that experience?
I wasnt saying the cancer patients were feeling sorry for themselves but if you are suggesting they should go a cancer ward then I reckon it is pretty obvious you are saying the players are feeling sorry for themselves. Surely that is exactly what you meant. I just reckon they are mentally scared. And why wouldnt they be. It seems at least half on here are and all we do is support the club. These guys were one bounce away from winning one and then got smashed in the second final. On top of a toe poke the previous year I reckon that could make it hard for some players. I have no idea why some think it would be hard for all if that is the problem. Everyone takes things differently.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:My OP is simply saying that if we are looking to "mental scars" as the reason we're seeing what we've seen so far, then the team are in a whole world of trouble!
No Dave, your OP is saying perhaps that is the reason, but then you tell them to harden up even though you admit it may not be the case.

Could be an old fashioned form slump, they happen from time to time.

BTW I find the calls to visit hospital wards a bit excessive, nobody on here knows what players are going through, or their families.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK I appreciate how you may read my OP, and agree to disagree with me on my take. I think that the "old fashioned form slump" is an understatement, and yes, mate they do indeed happen from time to time.
What brasses me off is the EFFORT (or lack of same :roll: ) that we've seen too often in games so far in 2011. The inability to make tackles stick, the lack of a decent disposal (particularly out of defence) ONE goal in a half of footy against the Crows.
If the players are indeed mentally shattered and scarred from the GF experiences, then they are not in the right frame of mind to be out there!
and maybe should be looking at what THEY are doing wearing the jumper!
Having said all that, I'll be cheering my head off the next time I'm at the game (V Hawks @ the G) and hopefully will be a part of the solution to our bad season so far!
And the comments you made re: hospital visits is fair comment and those sort of remarks are uncalled for.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)