Our current game style

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I would like to see a shepard this season. To see one player look after another.
Yes, the 'forward press' support has gone, in favour of 'flowing footy'.

I'm starting to wonder if pressure outside (media, and fans) and within the club, is forcing the coaching staff to bow to public pressure, introducing a game plan that is all risk and no accountability. I'd much prefer 2009/2010 again, where we were flying the flag for successful defensive pressure (much to the disgust of many) and winning.

In short, I'm wondering if the St Kilda isn't being coached out of St Kilda? Sure, we'll look better, but we'll be just another Calton, Freo, Essendon, Adelaide, etc.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The Sainter wrote:So many supporters have said how disappointing Baker's game was with his slowness in moving the ball plus also going backwards so often. I agreed with them yet I pick up the morning paper and see that our coach was thrilled with his game.
Has Ross loss the plot or are we all just very poor judges here?
This was strange.... Cant see for the life of me how Ross could be thrilled with Bakers game... Aside from 1 or 2 solid marks, he was terrible...

Constantly kicked backwards, and stagnated every passage of play he was invloved in... Unless Ross gives him instructions to do this, he has shown he is well and truely past it...

IMO there is no point continuing with Bakes... Loyal servant, great player in his time, career over... He, along with Blake, Dempster and Zac provide no run and attack out of defense whatsoever...

I understand that 1 or 2 defenders need to be focused more on stopping than creating, but we have 4 out of 6.... Chips is equally good at both anyhow, so IMO, we can only carry 1 of the 4... That would be Zac or Blake for mine...

Far too negative in defence, when the game is taking on a more attacking focus starting with the back 6...

The pies have added Davis to thier backilne along with Shaw and O'brien, who are both enormous playmakers, along with Ried and Maxwell who both read the play well and push hard up the ground and peeling off...

Our guys are just dour crabs...

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
The Sainter wrote:So many supporters have said how disappointing Baker's game was with his slowness in moving the ball plus also going backwards so often. I agreed with them yet I pick up the morning paper and see that our coach was thrilled with his game.
Has Ross loss the plot or are we all just very poor judges here?
This was strange.... Cant see for the life of me how Ross could be thrilled with Bakers game... Aside from 1 or 2 solid marks, he was terrible...

Constantly kicked backwards, and stagnated every passage of play he was invloved in... Unless Ross gives him instructions to do this, he has shown he is well and truely past it...

IMO there is no point continuing with Bakes... Loyal servant, great player in his time, career over... He, along with Blake, Dempster and Zac provide no run and attack out of defense whatsoever...

I understand that 1 or 2 defenders need to be focused more on stopping than creating, but we have 4 out of 6.... Chips is equally good at both anyhow, so IMO, we can only carry 1 of the 4... That would be Zac or Blake for mine...

Far too negative in defence, when the game is taking on a more attacking focus starting with the back 6...

The pies have added Davis to thier backilne along with Shaw and O'brien, who are both enormous playmakers, along with Ried and Maxwell who both read the play well and push hard up the ground and peeling off...

Our guys are just dour crabs...
Something like this

degruch
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:In short, I'm wondering if the St Kilda isn't being coached out of St Kilda? Sure, we'll look better, but we'll be just another Calton, Freo, Essendon, Adelaide, etc.
Ross got back to me today:

“We’re going to focus on trying to play that sort of football, winning our own ball and pressuring the opposition."

So, maybe the good ol' days of the last 2 seasons are back?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i don't know how many times i saw one or two saints players on their own down the guts of the field calling for the ball when the ball was being kicked in after a point...did we go down the middle even once....not on your f****** nellie......they are so f****** frustrating i am starting to feel that it is just too painful watching their ineptness..... but i will...always have....
I've seen that also. Then I just presumed I had a better view of the play than the players did at ground level.

It's frustrating to watch. I honestly don't know why we've fallen apart as badly as we have. The one thing I do know is that Geelong are now up and about, and with only a few new faces.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!