Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Unless they turn him into a forward I think Tommy Walsh will end up being our fullback. Jimmy Gwilt was last night but he is just too short.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

In Clarke

Out Stanley

Well that's what I want anyways.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide is very winnable.

Stop Dangerfield, stop the Crows. It was nice to see Clint return to some good form last night, he should mind him.

Hard tag on Taylor Walker, he really doesn't like close attention, perfect role for Dempster.

Johncock is a bit of an architect down back, need to make sure the ball doesn't end up in his hands.

Hopefully that lookalike Lenny kid that plays well on talls (Davis?) is still out injured, and Roo can have a bit of freedom.

Ruck Kosi more Ross, please! We look better...

Out Stanley in Winmar

I have chosen Winmar as the in, as I distinctly remember we have struggled against Adelaides zone in the past, and a bit of run wouldn't go astray.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Adelaide is very winnable.

Stop Dangerfield, stop the Crows. It was nice to see Clint return to some good form last night, he should mind him.

Hard tag on Taylor Walker, he really doesn't like close attention, perfect role for Dempster.

Johncock is a bit of an architect down back, need to make sure the ball doesn't end up in his hands.

Hopefully that lookalike Lenny kid that plays well on talls (Davis?) is still out injured, and Roo can have a bit of freedom.

Ruck Kosi more Ross, please! We look better...

Out Stanley in Winmar

I have chosen Winmar as the in, as I distinctly remember we have struggled against Adelaides zone in the past, and a bit of run wouldn't go astray.
Also he's a player they wouldn't have figured out yet.

To the top
SS Life Member

The ground had obviously been watered - this appears conceded by all parties with refences to the sprinklers being put on during the day not refuted.

I did hear a reference to watering the ground because of complaints that it was too hard.

So the humidity, the heat and the nature of the surface conspired.

That said, our backs were under pressure against a couple of talls.

Dawson plays off his opponent so does not body in the contest - the most he does is reach in to spoil and his lack of body and aggression troubles me in the full back position.

Gwilt has been under pressure this season because he is taking a tall - at 188 cm which is mid-field size.

So we have a problem with tall forwards - and Adelaide has Tippett and Walker plus some rucks to rotate forward.

Our rucks were again decimated last night - and our mids were under immediate pressure - then our defence was under pressure and then our forwards were under pressure because they did not get an opportunity from clearances.

Some thoughts on players who attract attention:-

Stanley - the conditions did not suit because you needed a big body under the ball not someone whose ability is to jump into a contest and grab - plus on occasions when he was the viable option and had made space he was ignored.

Kosi was in the same boat - he is 93kg not 100kg - but he dished out a couple of very precise, quick hand balls to advantage when the game had to be won.

Gram was very valuable around the ground - including covering a player which you do not see on a tv screen.

McQualter - I don't know why we persist.

Dempster - did a couple of useful things around contested situations but generally out of it.

Baker - got some early but faded badly in conditions you would expect him to revel in.

Milne - kicked a couple early through opportunities and got a couple of touches further up the ground later but average in conditions which suited him. Mid-field disposals improved and hit targets with his couple of disposals.

Steven - a goer. Deceptifve due to his running action. The highlight was the 3 contests he made which resulted in a goal at a critical time. Ran 3 opponents off the line of the ball giving opportunity - not a stat but excellent.

Ray was near to our best for mine. This guy has a real ability overhead and I would love to se him floating around the forward half as an option.

Gilbert worked his back side off - absolutely no option when he ran too far including because Roo was just jogging and there was no one down the line.

And Montagna's spiral punt roost landed only 10 metres from the edge of the centre square! Then broke and bounced and bounced as an oval ball can.

Goodbye "umpire"!

All in all they looked exhausted by quarter time - so it was good to win a game which looked in real doubt - and even lost - at 3 quarter time.

Never discount the climate up here!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Stanley looks certain to go for either injury or structure. McQualter did nothing to help his cause. Smith wasn't as damaging as last week but definitely worth persisting with. Steven played a good game and consistency will come with experience. Jones probably saved his spot with his first decent game for the year. Dempster also did some good things late in the game and probably won't get dropped if he breaks a leg anyway.

Possible ins would be Winmar, Peake, Raph, Blake, Johnson, Lynch and Walsh. I'd love to see Johnson get a gig but I wouldn't think it's likely when he was out with a minor injury this week. Blake is a much better option to play on the talls than Gwilt, though Walsh's VFL form is certainly putting his name in there as well. Raph is a best 22 player and might return, while Peake played pretty well for Sandy last week and is a better sub option than McQualter. It seems very strange that Winmar could be robbed of two weeks of footy because they wanted him as an emergency.

My preference would be to include Walsh and/or Johnson, but I doubt it will happen.

My guess
OUT: Stanley, McQualter
IN: Blake, Peake

B: Dempster, Dawson, Baker
HB: Fisher, Blake, Gwilt
C: Gram, Armitage, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Ray
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Steven

Foll: McEvoy, Montagna, Dal Santo
Int: Gilbert, Smith, Jones
Sub: Peake

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I loke that team Mad Saints Guy, but the back line is terribly slow. Baker, Dawson, Dempster. We need some pace there. Tommy Walsh would be an option.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Time to go Stanley, Dumpster and McQualter
In Simpkin, Johnson and Winmar (SUB)

Sainter for life.
St Igmata
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:Time to go Stanley, Dumpster and McQualter
Winmar is an unkown entity as far as footy is concerned.
And not sure you can bring so many kids in at the one time.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

St Igmata wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:Time to go Stanley, Dumpster and McQualter
Winmar is an unkown entity as far as footy is concerned.
And not sure you can bring so many kids in at the one time.
maybe simpkin and johnson then. Because if Dempster plays next week there is something wrong with ross lyons mind, he is the slowest afl player ever, its like he is stuck in jog mode, doesnt do anything at all give Simpkin a go, has a great kick and adds more to the side, very solid defender. And Johsnon has been bagging a few goals in the VFL couldn't do any worse then Stanley...if he is fit.

Sainter for life.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin is another tall as well as blake and walsh who can play back. Will Johnson is injured ? What's he done? Raph forward would be better than Stanley or Gamble. But I can't wait to see what Will J can do.

St Igmata
Club Player

There needs to be balance and thought put into kids as they are elevated to the highest level.
Both for their sake and the teams.

To the top
SS Life Member

I am not attracted to the "Stanley must go for structure" line.

McEvoy carries the bulk of the ruck work (very poorly at this stage of his career which is a real problem every week - I hope King and Gardiner are working with him) with support from Koschitzke and from Stanley until injured.

When McEvoy is rested on the bench and Koschitzke or Stanley rucked or were on the bench that left us with only Riewoldt as a tall in attack - and the old problem re-surfaced - one option. And it then reverts to the old question of whether we can afford a permanent forward pocket given the rule changes and the presssure on mid-field rotations. It comes down to the best balance.

So we need 3 talls between the bench and on the ground - and there is no problem stretching an opposition defence early - or late because, as the old story goes, big guys don't become less big as the game goes on.

Given the way Gwilt has been exposed as our second tall in defence (despite Gilbert and Dempster being taller) I do not see Blake as an answer in defence - he is a role player who fills a space not a close checking defender - and Fisher is the CHB because he is the "general" of our defence - despite a few brain fades under pressure last night.

As I have said, Dawson troubles me.

So the wash up is that we need a like replacement for Stanley - it is unfortunate Cahill is injured because he was kicking goals so it is down to Archer or Johnson or Lynch.

Johnson I would really like to see at full back - putting Dawson under pressure.

Simpkin is the other prospect - also 191cm and of good build for a key position defender taking a tall and allowing the continued use of Gilbert as he is used - and taking the pressure off Gwilt.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

4 outs i would make.......ross will make 1....

Kosi, stanley, gilbert, dempster

In
Cripps, archer, johnson, blake

Cripps...or smith sub

Emerg
Peake, gilbert, dempster

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

IN: Blake (sub) Clarke or Winmar
OUT: Stanley Gilbert

McQualter would start.

Armitage will be on notice: he was pretty poor last night IMO. So was Kosi, but he will be better for the outing. Dal was apalling, but he just is from time to time: he'll probably be BOG next week.

The current whipping boys of the forum - Baker, Dempster, Zac, Ray and McQualter - all went pretty well IMO. My favourite whipping boy, CJ, had his best game since 2009 IMO. Good on him.

Steven is really starting to get with the program and is looking like he might soon cement a spot as a regular starter (more quickly than Armo, I'm sorry to say).

Gilbert was abysmal, as has been for several weeks now. He refuses to play forward, where he is sorely needed. I suspect the bad blood between him and Riewoldt persists and is affecting him (and perhaps this is why he doesn't want to play forward). I reckon some time at the Zebras and some mediation between him and Nick is called for urgently.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

P.S. I would have Blake as the sub every game. Can play anywhere on the park, even ruck. Huge engine.

I really hope that Clarke gets another go soon. I was really missing him last night at times when we were hemmed inside our defensive 50. He would have had a red hot go at bringing the ball out. Sure, he is always capable of stuffing it up. But he can drive the ball forward, break through the press. We will need that if we're to get back into it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Shaggy
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Gilbert was abysmal, as has been for several weeks now. He refuses to play forward, where he is sorely needed. I suspect the bad blood between him and Riewoldt persists and is affecting him (and perhaps this is why he doesn't want to play forward). I reckon some time at the Zebras and some mediation between him and Nick is called for urgently.
I would be amazed if there is bad blood between Roo and SG.

Both SG and JB were played out of position at start of year. It takes time to get the confidence back IMO. Its different to moving someone mid year after they have had BOGs in their settled position.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:IN: Blake (sub) Clarke or Winmar
OUT: Stanley Gilbert

McQualter would start.

Armitage will be on notice: he was pretty poor last night IMO. So was Kosi, but he will be better for the outing. Dal was apalling, but he just is from time to time: he'll probably be BOG next week.

The current whipping boys of the forum - Baker, Dempster, Zac, Ray and McQualter - all went pretty well IMO. My favourite whipping boy, CJ, had his best game since 2009 IMO. Good on him.

Steven is really starting to get with the program and is looking like he might soon cement a spot as a regular starter (more quickly than Armo, I'm sorry to say).

Gilbert was abysmal, as has been for several weeks now. He refuses to play forward, where he is sorely needed. I suspect the bad blood between him and Riewoldt persists and is affecting him (and perhaps this is why he doesn't want to play forward). I reckon some time at the Zebras and some mediation between him and Nick is called for urgently.
Always love to hear your thoughts meher baba. Mini had three clearances which I had not realised until looking at the stats sheet now. Probably still needed in our quest to win contested footy and tackle.

Think you have been harsh on Armitage. 7 tackles, 11 contested possessions and 5 clearances is not a terrible night, although he was beaten. He simply has to play, he is the closest thing we have to a Lenny replacement. He just needs to keep trying and hopefully improve with some tuition from Banger.

Gilbert is a major issue. I think it is primarily psychological, and it must be dealt with. Although his kicking is another serious problem, and I think he should play a more dour role in defence and allow Gwilt to utilise his skills better rather than having to worry about a forward who is 10cm taller than him!

Steven needs to start winning some more footy, but he is pure class when he has it, I can see him being the equal of Schneider within two years, and potentially even as good as a Chapman if he can get a motor on him.

Agree with the rest, although Al Smith will soon become a whipping boy for his terrible footskills which have probably been the reason he has been held back this long.

For Round 6:

In: Johnson (if he is fit- otherwise Winmar)
Out: Stanley

Sub: Smith/Winmar

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Very Conservative.

In: Blake

Blake down back with Gilbert up forward, can switch Gilbet back if need be with Blake rucking (occasionally) or through the middle.

Gilbert needs to be freed up and we need more versatility through the middle and rucks. Blake gives us that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Very Conservative.

Blake down back with Gilbert up forward, can switch Gilbet back if need be with Blake rucking (occasionally) or through the middle.

Gilbert needs to be freed up and we need more versatility through the middle and rucks. Blake gives us that.
Blake is a stop-gap ruckman and awful forward. It's defence or nothing for Neil.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Out: Stanley

Blake down back with Gilbert up forward
Yep. And Kosi to ruck, resting forward.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

OUT: Stanley

IN: Walsh

Yep, it's time for the big Irish lad to get his first test. Debut for a big game, away at Adelaide - why the hell not?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
PJ
SS Life Member

I dont think Cripps has any tank problems.
I'm only basing that on what has been said about his Diabetes issues and general health not any facts about what he's produced so far. I wouldn't know the extent of his condition but I would assume it's at times limited his training capacity.

Adelaide are a very young side that has consistency problems but can be a problem when they're up. Blake may well get a call up but I wouldn't be basing it on the height of the crows as some have suggested. Tippet's big but Walker is more mobile (exactly the type we've been looking for).

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

OUT: Stanley
IN: Peake

B: Baker - Dawson - Gwilt
HB: Dempster - Fisher - Gilbert
C: Goddard - Armitage - Ray
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Gram
F: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: McEvoy - Dal Santo - Jones

INT: McQualter - Smith - Steven
SUB: Peake

There's a chance that Ross gives the big forward line another go. I thought he was nuts when the team was named. It made a little more sense when Roo pushed up the ground. Still, I think our big guys are just too easy to rebound off. Johnson will get a shot up front at some point IMO.

Peake isn't going to thrill people, but we don't have a lot of runners at VFL level who can come in. I think Lynch, Walsh or Winmar would be surplus defenders at this point - foolish, with the short bench. Basically, it's either Peake, Eddy or a teenager if we go for a runner (which I think we will, obviously). Peake may be a boring choice, but I think it's the likely one.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Let him loose now!