Standalone St Kilda VFL team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Stand alone is certainly being discussed in AFL and AFL Vic circles as more than St Kilda have expressed interest

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6036866240

VFL operations manager John Hook wants the VFL alignments to continue.
there have been good and bad for alignements

It's hard to realise it is only 10 years or so since the saints did have it's own team--- and cost was one of the reasons it changed. but that was around 2000,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id chip in as well
as long as you obviously got something for it
id be happy with a cap along with the membership, as im obviously not going to get to games. Maybe some detailed emails about players, the club, write up about each game etc

yeah id be in for sure

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

[merged into this thread]

It's what Garry Lyon is effectively suggesting here:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/two- ... 1d7tf.html
Two sides for total control
Garry Lyon
April 9, 2011

...But the facts are that there will always be an impasse, at some stage, about what is right for the AFL club and what is right for the VFL club. No matter how harmonious the relationship between the two clubs is, it cannot hope to compete with the likes of Geelong and Collingwood, whose hierarchy is long established and whose priorities are well known to every member of the organisation.
That's just a snippet of the whole piece he wrote earlier this week but I think he's spot on and it's a point that's been overlooked in recent discussion.

What were the costings of having our own team? That seems to be the prevailing argument against it, but can we afford not to have one?

However, with Seaford now completed, and with our membership going over 40,000, the club must have significant cash reserves that can be invested into the development of the next generation of St Kilda players.

And the best place to groom them - as much as we like the alliance with Sandringham - is where we have control over them.

While I'm sure we get considerable input at Sandy into the players' development, I dare say that it should be total. Until we're at that point, we're going to have continual issues fast-tracking and developing our youth.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Would be great to see a reserve game as a curtain raiser. A chance to see the potential new boys strut their stufff and with the added bonus of them getting a sniff of the "bigtime" on an AFL ground

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

thejiggingsaint wrote:Would be great to see a reserve game as a curtain raiser. A chance to see the potential new boys strut their stufff and with the added bonus of them getting a sniff of the "bigtime" on an AFL ground
Curtain raisers are very rare in Melbourne these days, they try to protect the turf by keeping traffic to a minimum. More than likely it would mean we need to find somewhere to play that we would have the facilities to play regular games.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
goddardisgod
Club Player

Saint_Ash wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Would be great to see a reserve game as a curtain raiser. A chance to see the potential new boys strut their stufff and with the added bonus of them getting a sniff of the "bigtime" on an AFL ground
Curtain raisers are very rare in Melbourne these days, they try to protect the turf by keeping traffic to a minimum. More than likely it would mean we need to find somewhere to play that we would have the facilities to play regular games.
We still have a 30 year lease with Moorabin don't we? That's a bit less to worry about.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

goddardisgod wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
We still have a 30 year lease with Moorabin don't we? That's a bit less to worry about.
Yes but haven't the old rooms gone with the grandstand? plus coaches boxes, timekeepers, stats people, scoreboard?

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
Yes but haven't the old rooms gone with the grandstand? plus coaches boxes, timekeepers, stats people, scoreboard?
Yep. They would need to spend way over a million dollars to get it to VFL standard but maybe our friends at Kingston will kick in some money.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is it not possible to play games at seaford???

Is it not able to cope with a fortnightly game??

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Is it not possible to play games at seaford???

Is it not able to cope with a fortnightly game??
Agree - would be a great place to host matches. Ideal way to integrate fans into the new facilities and make it feel like a home should.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I may be wrong but I don't think there are any spectator amenities at Seaford?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think there are any spectator amenities at Seaford?
There aren't really any in terms of seating, but there's standing room aplenty.

Parking may be an issue. Local residents may object to matches.

Outside of some minor temporary facilities (toilets, media room) and a hot dog/beer stand, I'm not sure you need a hell of a lot otherwise.

Saints43
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think there are any spectator amenities at Seaford?
Sorry, I should have mentioned, Michael Nettlefold specifically said that the reserve team would play at Moorabbin.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It would be awesome to have the chance to play every week in our traditional strip at Moorabbin. It will be like the 80s again. The Saints would be better off just for the fact that the players would not be required to play Sandy's role. If we want to develop a forward we can play a forward etc. It just takes all the compromise out and allows the senior team to properly analyse a players development.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

also another devil's avocado question.

the idea of total control over developing players sure does sound like a good idea... but practically, how much would/can it change a player?

if i can get some reponses from people who are able to remove their romantic idea glasses and suggest players who have been severly stunted by playing in an affiliate team im all ears.

Sure it's a compromise, but they are playing VFL level regardless of the jumper they are wearing.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: maybe our friends at Kingston will kick in some money.
Time for a bex and a lie down after that statement !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Furphy
Club Player

Yes, bring in a Saints reserve team and play 'em as a "curtain raiser" at our home games. it would be better that the boring pre-match crap that we have to endure and we get to see first hand rising talent. Truly worth ther extra cost!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1hi12.html

financially due to stagmated year ( maybe - I have no idea of the current finacial situationbut do realise that setting up a reserves side will take $$$$$$) would continuing with both sides giving and taking and WORKING together be a suitable option.?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1hi12.html

financially due to stagmated year ( maybe - I have no idea of the current finacial situationbut do realise that setting up a reserves side will take $$$$$$) would continuing with both sides giving and taking and WORKING together be a suitable option.?
From all reports Frankston's in a spot of bother. Can't we in effect "take them over"?

They have the right name and the right colours.

Frankston Saints with our club pulling the strings.

Has to be cheaper than a standalone side. :idea:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It's no coincidence that the top two teams at present have stand alone "reserves" teams in the VFL. What you do with players once you've got them is more important than the draft order in which they are picked, once you go beyond the top ten. Seeing as all but one of your picks come after the first round (GWS and GCS excluded atm), the importance of strong development programs and expert coaches in this area becomes paramount .

It's a major contributing factor to the recent and ongoing success of Geelong and a major factor in allowing the filth to rebuild so quickly after their last serious tilt in 2002-3. It should be a priority for the current Board. $250K is about the cost of one poor recruiting decision. A small price to pay when the potential benefits are considered.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Heading into 2012, how are we feeling about this subject?

Are we content with the alignment with Sandringham?

Are we getting what we need from it?

Sounds like Watters and Pelchen are making a much greater effort to engage and bring the two clubs closer together.

What's your gut feeling about where you would like it to head?

Mackaysaint
Club Player

I think a lot of people here are being disrespectful of the relationship we have with Sandringham. This coming season is the first in a new era of real co-operation. If it turns out to be a failure for both parties (and especially the Saints) then we should look into fielding a stand alone reserves team.

I can see problems arising in the VFL if most or every Vic club has their own reserves team. I doubt that the competition can support that many teams. What of the existing VFL clubs? Do we drive many or all of them to extinction?

If a new league is created that is one step lower than AFL, how many of the relegated VFL clubs will suffer financially? Finding enough quality players will be a problem. Grounds and facilities would become premium.

Just a few thoughts :(

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
Mackaysaint
Club Player

Double post

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mackaysaint wrote:I think a lot of people here are being disrespectful of the relationship we have with Sandringham. This coming season is the first in a new era of real co-operation. If it turns out to be a failure for both parties (and especially the Saints) then we should look into fielding a stand alone reserves team.

I can see problems arising in the VFL if most or every Vic club has their own reserves team. I doubt that the competition can support that many teams. What of the existing VFL clubs? Do we drive many or all of them to extinction?

If a new league is created that is one step lower than AFL, how many of the relegated VFL clubs will suffer financially? Finding enough quality players will be a problem. Grounds and facilities would become premium.

Just a few thoughts :(

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY