Patrick Smith Dumps Dons For Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:Whaling is cruel, callous, unnecessary and validated by perpetrators on spurious grounds of historical merit.

Jumping is cruel, callous, unnecessary and validated by perpetrators on spurious grounds of historical merit.
That statement is just crap and over the top crap. Facts would be good.

I will give some of my own facts. Part owned 3 horses. All no good on the flat. 2 were sprinters and thus couldnt jump. Gave them to friends but they then sold them to the Knackery. Died a painless death but died way to early. The other became a jumper and won us plenty of money. We kept him on a farm and pay agistment and is still going today. Yes I know he could have fallen over and died as about 3% do but id rather go with the odds and give these horses a chance to live.

So it is probably an painless death for 25% of horses that go to the knackery or a painfull death for 3% that do jumps. I say jumping is good for horses. It gives them a second chance.
and you plenty of money

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hey I never said I necessarily agreed with the Smith piece. I said it was an excellent piece of writing.

To be honest I care little for horse racing and know little about its ins and outs other than too many people have their lives f***ed over by betting on it.

But to me, even 3% of those magnificent animals being driven to a painful death by a bloke brandishing a whip seems too much.

Call me a bleeding heart. I couldn't give a stuff.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:Whaling is cruel, callous, unnecessary and validated by perpetrators on spurious grounds of historical merit.

Jumping is cruel, callous, unnecessary and validated by perpetrators on spurious grounds of historical merit.

I will give some of my own facts. Part owned 3 horses. All no good on the flat. 2 were sprinters and thus couldnt jump. Gave them to friends but they then sold them to the Knackery. Died a painless death but died way to early. The other became a jumper and won us plenty of money. We kept him on a farm and pay agistment and is still going today. Yes I know he could have fallen over and died as about 3% do but id rather go with the odds and give these horses a chance to live.

So it is probably an painless death for 25% of horses that go to the knackery or a painfull death for 3% that do jumps. I say jumping is good for horses. It gives them a second chance.
and you plenty of money
Obviously never owned a horse. No money in it unless you are the 1% who get a good horse but plenty of fun.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

and you plenty of money
Obviously never owned a horse. No money in it unless you are the 1% who get a good horse but plenty of fun.
Sure haven't but I've eaten some before and it's not a bad cut.

You know the old saying, only way to follow horses is with a wheel barrow.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
But to me, even 3% of those magnificent animals being driven to a painful death by a bloke brandishing a whip seems too much.

Patrick to give him his dues (in my eyes) has been the only journo willing to take on the racing industry (and all the influential lobbyists that fawn after it) over the disgraceful and needless whipping of magnificient horses during races. Especially in the final run home.

There was nearly a change to those dastardly rules but the jockeys threatened strike, and it all got put into the too hard basket. Hey the poor little wizened up blokes & girlies on those magnificient beasts said it was too difficult to count how many belts they had given a horse in the final run home. Poor little tykes, they must all be mathematically challenged due to their dieting I suppose :roll: :roll:
Nevertheless their math is pretty good when they want to 'pull' a horse even in the last few paces, then they can do their calculations within a 'half head' if it means a kickback to them!!!!!

I'm with you Thinline on being abhored on the needless whipping of such magnificient beasts.

All power to Patrick Smith and his endless campaign to stop such a medieval practise. Actually it looks like there may be a change in some cruelty to animals law in the near future and the racing industry may be forced into changing such barbarous tactics..........bring it on me says.

Maybe we can start a ' saintsational bleeding heart' group eh Thinline I'm sure there must be more appalled with such brutality :wink: :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Patrick to give him his dues (in my eyes) has been the only journo willing to take on the racing industry (and all the influential lobbyists that fawn after it) over the disgraceful and needless whipping of magnificient horses during races. Especially in the final run home.

There was nearly a change to those dastardly rules but the jockeys threatened strike, and it all got put into the too hard basket. Hey the poor little wizened up blokes & girlies on those magnificient beasts said it was too difficult to count how many belts they had given a horse in the final run home. Poor little tykes, they must all be mathematically challenged due to their dieting I suppose :roll: :roll:
Nevertheless their math is pretty good when they want to 'pull' a horse even in the last few paces, then they can do their calculations within a 'half head' if it means a kickback to them!!!!!

I'm with you Thinline on being abhored on the needless whipping of such magnificient beasts.

All power to Patrick Smith and his endless campaign to stop such a medieval practise. Actually it looks like there may be a change in some cruelty to animals law in the near future and the racing industry may be forced into changing such barbarous tactics..........bring it on me says.

Maybe we can start a ' saintsational bleeding heart' group eh Thinline I'm sure there must be more appalled with such brutality :wink: :wink:
Can you tell me how much it hurts horses to whipped. They have changed the whip completely. People in the industry says it doesnt hurt horses but makes them do their best. Of course they have an interest in saying that but they also probably have a lot more idea than Patrick Smith and both of us.

And by the way how many horses are pulled these days? I take it you must have a big insite into the industry or are just making it up to suit your arguement. I would suggest 50K people trying to control a 500K animal have plenty of things going on in a race. That is fact not your story of pulling up horses.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Can you tell me how much it hurts horses to whipped. They have changed the whip completely. People in the industry says it doesnt hurt horses but makes them do their best. Of course they have an interest in saying that but they also probably have a lot more idea than Patrick Smith and both of us.

And by the way how many horses are pulled these days? I take it you must have a big insite into the industry or are just making it up to suit your arguement. I would suggest 50K people trying to control a 500K animal have plenty of things going on in a race. That is fact not your story of pulling up horses.
Easy to find out. Let me whip you with these "changed" whips in the same manner as the horses are whipped.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:
Thinline wrote:

And by the way how many horses are pulled these days? I take it you must have a big insite into the industry or are just making it up to suit your argument. I would suggest 50K people trying to control a 500K animal have plenty of things going on in a race. That is fact not your story of pulling up horses.
Easy to find out. Let me whip you with these "changed" whips in the same manner as the horses are whipped.
Firstly is our skin the same and pain threshold. I doubt it but lets say it is to play a totally irrelevant game. If I was running and someone whipped me i wouldnt run faster, I would run all over the place and definitely stop trying. Now does that suit your argument?
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 09 Mar 2011 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:..but plenty of fun...
...at the expense of the horse. They just love being whipped and breaking their legs over hurdles.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
...at the expense of the horse. They just love being whipped and breaking their legs over hurdles.

On the Smith piece, his point is so obscure it's too difficult to read. He tries to pander to three prejudices in the one article. He should stick to one like all good Murdoch writers.
Are you still here? Werent you the 60 year old guy who quit this site because someone else did a thread on the coaches votes. Still the most hilarious thing I have seen on this site. At first i thought you would be no more than 15 years old but then to find out you are about 60 is just hilarious.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:
Thinline wrote:

And by the way how many horses are pulled these days? I take it you must have a big insite into the industry or are just making it up to suit your argument. I would suggest 50K people trying to control a 500K animal have plenty of things going on in a race. That is fact not your story of pulling up horses.
Firstly is our skin the same and pain threshold. I doubt it but lets say it is to play a totally irrelevant game. If I was running and someone whipped me i wouldnt run faster, I would run all over the place and definitely stop trying. Now does that suit your argument?
That's really funny actually because I was actually going to add one more sentence that went along the lines of, now let the pain threshold arguments begin. Talk about missed opportunities. Anyway back on topic. So you seem like you are saying that you can confirm accurately how a horse really feels when whipped?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:
Thinline wrote:

That's really funny actually because I was actually going to add one more sentence that went along the lines of, now let the pain threshold arguments begin. Talk about missed opportunities. Anyway back on topic. So you seem like you are saying that you can confirm accurately how a horse really feels when whipped?
I am the one who said i wouldnt have a clue but people in the industry would. Others seem to know that it hurts horses so i think you have it completely wrong.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ok P66 to go back to one of your points. What do you mean you would run all over the place and stop trying? I thought you were saying that it would hurt you but make you do the opposite of the objective of the whip, i.e. run in straight line as fast as possible for finish line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Ok P66 to go back to one of your points. What do you mean you would run all over the place and stop trying? I thought you were saying that it would hurt you but make you do the opposite of the objective of the whip, i.e. run in straight line as fast as possible for finish line.
Well you were using the argument that i wouldnt like being whipped so I took it that you also thinks it hurts horses. I then for the sake of the argument if our skins are the same then i wouldnt try and would run all over the place. Horses dont do that so either it doesnt hurt or they react differently to humans when hit with a whip.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
...at the expense of the horse. They just love being whipped and breaking their legs over hurdles......
Are you still here? Werent you the 60 year old guy who quit this site because someone else did a thread on the coaches votes. Still the most hilarious thing I have seen on this site. At first i thought you would be no more than 15 years old but then to find out you are about 60 is just hilarious.
Hey P66, you need some new material, you've given this a belting :shock:

Don't know about the coaches votes thread - but last year there was a Sticky post set up specifically for ticketing - yet a certain poster couldn't help themselves and started a thread on ticketing, maybe the p!ssoff threshold was not to quit - but it was damn annoying IMO

Also I seem to remember you had a row or were annoyed with the same poster, and were not going to post in their threads ever, but that didn't seem to last long...
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 09 Mar 2011 7:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
...at the expense of the horse. They just love being whipped and breaking their legs over hurdles......

Don't know about the coaches votes thread - but last year there was a Sticky post set up specifically for ticketing - yet a certain poster couldn't help themselves and started a thread on ticketing, maybe the p!ssoff factor was not to quit - but it was damn annoying IMO

Also I seem to remember you had a row or were annoyed with the same poster, and were not going to post in their threads ever, but that didn't seem to last long...
Yes I have given it a belting but just everytime i post something he disagrees with he gets personal. There is no discussion why it is wrong just an attack. If he discusses something that he thinks is wrong then I will stop with other thing.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:...Yes I have given it a belting but just everytime i post something he disagrees with he gets personal. There is no discussion why it is wrong just an attack. If he discusses something that he thinks is wrong then I will stop with other thing.
Geez, how funny is that from the great "disagree-er". Well, that ain't going to happen pal.

And by the way, I have this lovely book that I used for my students:

"How the ignorant can learn to spell, parse and punctuate, especially if they are loud mouths who criticise everyone else."

I can autograph it if you wish.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

Don't know about the coaches votes thread - but last year there was a Sticky post set up specifically for ticketing - yet a certain poster couldn't help themselves and started a thread on ticketing, maybe the p!ssoff factor was not to quit - but it was damn annoying IMO

Yes I have given it a belting but just everytime i post something he disagrees with he gets personal. There is no discussion why it is wrong just an attack. If he discusses something that he thinks is wrong then I will stop with other thing.
Well there's a few on here that get personal, especially if they think they need to defend the footy club - I've got about 5 on my Ignore List

Part of my sig is what was said to me recently, for nothing, instead of a debate, I was slammed :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...Yes I have given it a belting but just everytime i post something he disagrees with he gets personal. There is no discussion why it is wrong just an attack. If he discusses something that he thinks is wrong then I will stop with other thing.
Geez, how funny is that from the great "disagree-er". Well, that ain't going to happen pal.

And by the way, I have this lovely book that I used for my students:

"How the ignorant can learn to spell, parse and punctuate, especially if they are loud mouths who criticise everyone else."

I can autograph it if you wish.
I may disagree with people but i usually write down reasons. Also as i have said previously people who resort to an English exam other than discussing or arguing things are pathetic and have no knowledge of the subject at hand. You fall under that category.

By the way do you walk out on your students when they solve a problem they arent supposed to. That would be hilarious as well. Laughing at your expense.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Read all about it, read all about it!!!!!!!

Patrick Smith in today's Australian is back on his favourite "hobby horse"......the cruelty of the use of whips in racing.

Great article Patrick "How can we call ourselves civilized as another Saturday of cruelty arrives" on p. 43.

Very interesting his qoutes of the great trainer Bart Cummings saying of horse 'So You Think' it's run in last year's Cox Plate ........." Well I don't think he needed....he would have run better hands and heels. He resents being hit with the whip, in my opinion". Also when queried about another of his champions Saintly not liking the whip........ Cummings replied "That's right - they do the best without it".

Also Smith quotes Gai Waterhouse "I just feel that jockeys (Shinn) & (O'Hara) really needto work on their fitness and become stronger riders. With the new (padded) whip rules coming out, jockeys will have to use all their strength and aggression with their body as they will not be able to hit their horses as many times." As Smith says, Read, hit the horses harder.

Go Patrick, keep up your campaign against this cruelty to such magnificient beasts. I'm betting you are on a winner and eventually the outcry from the community will be that most thinking individuals realise in the 21 Century people move on from barbarous practices that were accepted as the norm years ago.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The RSPCA are cool with the current whip rules.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it hurts a guy to be forced to run until he vomits at training.

And I reckon it hurts them when they are forced and bullied into backing into packs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Read all about it, read all about it!!!!!!!

Patrick Smith in today's Australian is back on his favourite "hobby horse"......the cruelty of the use of whips in racing.

Great article Patrick "How can we call ourselves civilized as another Saturday of cruelty arrives" on p. 43.

Very interesting his qoutes of the great trainer Bart Cummings saying of horse 'So You Think' it's run in last year's Cox Plate ........." Well I don't think he needed....he would have run better hands and heels. He resents being hit with the whip, in my opinion". Also when queried about another of his champions Saintly not liking the whip........ Cummings replied "That's right - they do the best without it".

Also Smith quotes Gai Waterhouse "I just feel that jockeys (Shinn) & (O'Hara) really needto work on their fitness and become stronger riders. With the new (padded) whip rules coming out, jockeys will have to use all their strength and aggression with their body as they will not be able to hit their horses as many times." As Smith says, Read, hit the horses harder.

Go Patrick, keep up your campaign against this cruelty to such magnificient beasts. I'm betting you are on a winner and eventually the outcry from the community will be that most thinking individuals realise in the 21 Century people move on from barbarous practices that were accepted as the norm years ago.
Yep if you are going to quote people after their wins maybe you need to also quote them after they lose. I take you dont like the whips so can tell me hoe much they hurt horses. lets face it you wouldnt have a clue as I wouldnt but lets go with this bloke this time as it suits our ordinary argument.