Rober Walls Sainst Recruiting Terrible last 5 yrs...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I judge the recruiting performance failure to produce class footballers. We haven't had a kid for a very long long time were we think he has a big future. Last few years we've been rating players on 'potential'. Personally I think our recruiting on the young have been poor but our recycled players have been valuable.. but I credit Ross for us getting to those grand finals with the team we've had.
I dont know how you make that call given the kids we have drafted have had so little opportunity over the past 5 yrs on account the sides won a shyteload of games?

Honestly, we are only about to find out about Armitage this year....

Might be worthwhile also looking at where we have gotten our picks in the draft in the last 5 yrs??

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we haven't recruited or developed many good youngsters - no arguments there. but Ross has topped up with ready to go players in a bid for the flag.
we know it'll most likely come back to haunt us but it was/is worth the risk - we wouldn't be complaining if we pinched a flag - and still have a good chance this year.
When this teams run it's race so has Ross (I don't think he's a development type coach) - let's hope it's with a flag behind him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:...but Ross has topped up with ready to go players in a bid for the flag.
Has that ever been the case? RL's policy seems to have always been to select the best players to fill holes in the team, whether they be kids or recruits. Hasn't gone too far wrong in that regard. Anyone claiming a bunch of guys who've yet to play a dozen games are duds must be either a genius, or an idiot.

BallBanger
Club Player

Lynch was never expected to go first round

I remember the selection of howard 2nd round in a strong draft..he was a smokie and we took him 26. now with smarts like this....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
desertsaint wrote:...but Ross has topped up with ready to go players in a bid for the flag.
Has that ever been the case? RL's policy seems to have always been to select the best players to fill holes in the team, whether they be kids or recruits. Hasn't gone too far wrong in that regard. Anyone claiming a bunch of guys who've yet to play a dozen games are duds must be either a genius, or an idiot.
thats it every year Ross has been at the club he has found our weakness and gone about fixing that weakness ... from day one he went out and got Gardy and Doc to fix the ruck issue as well as drafting Big Ben and cut off the dead wood ... he saw pace was an issue so he went after Lovette .. that turned to crap so this year he picked guys like Ledger Cripps.... RL doesnt care where the improvment comes from as long as the improvement comes !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
It's pretty obviously the case. Look at our main 22 over the last five years - look at the recruits that are in it.
it's not a bad thing - you want instant results you get experienced players.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:Lynch was never expected to go first round

I remember the selection of howard 2nd round in a strong draft..he was a smokie and we took him 26. now with smarts like this....
2006 was a shocker for us ... we got armo and that was it ... Howard and Allen were wasted picks .... you get that some time you win some time you dont ... we are not alone in that

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
It's pretty obviously the case. Look at our main 22 over the last five years - look at the recruits that are in it.
again with the picks we had i dont think we would have been able to fill the holes we had in the list

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
again with the picks we had i dont think we would have been able to fill the holes we had in the list
won't disagree with you there.

noob
Club Player

Our 2006 was a good draft for a rook perspective with clint jones, geary and eddy. But the national yes was a shocker.
The same year last years premiers had ben reid pick 8, nathan brown (one pick after armitage), chris dawes, tyson goldsack. Wellingham as a rookie and maccafer as well. So they had drafted well considering we had similar range picks.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
A club that's rebuilding will try draft the top talent, then construct their list. A club like the Saints will try address current and future issues. We've done a fair job of recruiting over the last few years, given how high we've finished, I think the fruits will bare over the next few years. How well have Geelong and the Hawks done over the last 5 years?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not what you wanted to hear boys......yes the world is against us....

saintbob
SS Life Member

I'm sure Wallsy and that thing that writes for The Age, were the first ever Siamese twins ever separated as I'm sure between the two of them there's only one brain.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You always draft for the future....never for the now.....

A smart man once said to me...keep the talent coming through the bottom, the top will take care of itself...

Failure to do so will spell eventual disaster

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You always draft for the future....never for the now.....

A smart man once said to me...keep the talent coming through the bottom, the top will take care of itself...

...or 3 grand final appearances.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Really?

:lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

Sounds like Geelong in the '90s.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:

Sounds like Geelong in the '90s.
Ha! True.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

3 grand finals and then what?......

We have zero premierships.....you only win them by making finals for extended periods....we have Been up for an extended period and won nothing.....and what comes up must come down.....and without good drafting, you come down with a thud........and stay until you turn comes again, which is generally quite a wait....ask Carl and rich after 2001

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:3 grand finals and then what?......

We have zero premierships.....you only win them by making finals for extended periods....we have Been up for an extended period and won nothing.....and what comes up must come down.....and without good drafting, you come down with a thud........and stay until you turn comes again, which is generally quite a wait....ask Carl and rich after 2001
Can we at least wait until the real stuff until we lament?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Nope. The season's shot K...we are the worst team to every kick a football.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Nope. The season's shot K...we are the worst team to every kick a football.
I'm all for a good whinge, but after a NAB cup game is a little early I reckon.

Especially given Essendon stopped playing footy 5 weeks before us last year, actually going by their season I think they even packed up a little earlier than that.

Save it for say Rd 6 BM, if they still look ordinary, knock yourself out. :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm all for a good whinge, but after a NAB cup game is a little early I reckon.
I actually forgot the game was even on. :oops:

I don't even rate a bad half a season, or for that matter (learnt over the last 2 years), a whole good season!

Middo
Club Player

Rhys Stanley ???

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:we haven't recruited or developed many good youngsters - no arguments there. but Ross has topped up with ready to go players in a bid for the flag.
we know it'll most likely come back to haunt us but it was/is worth the risk - we wouldn't be complaining if we pinched a flag - and still have a good chance this year.
When this teams run it's race so has Ross (I don't think he's a development type coach) - let's hope it's with a flag behind him.
There's no such thing as a development coach - Melbourne excluded and I expect them to sack Bailey. If you don't win you get sacked

Another opportunity awaits!