Coping With Grief

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

Some interesting comments here. I have felt more angry with the players this time and I do feel they get off lightly in comparrision to the supporters. I truely believe they have no idea how it feels to support a team like St Kilda and the heart ache that goes with it. Having said this, I do feel they did their best and I certainly hope they are hurting. I dont know how they come back emotionally from something like that. But however way you look at it, it totally sucks to loose 3 grand finals in two seasons. Even if we win it next year, I don't think it would feel the same, so I feel robbed in many ways. Such is the life of a Saints supporter.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Some interesting comments here. I have felt more angry with the players this time and I do feel they get off lightly in comparrision to the supporters. I truely believe they have no idea how it feels to support a team like St Kilda and the heart ache that goes with it. Having said this, I do feel they did their best and I certainly hope they are hurting. I dont know how they come back emotionally from something like that. But however way you look at it, it totally sucks to loose 3 grand finals in two seasons. Even if we win it next year, I don't think it would feel the same, so I feel robbed in many ways. Such is the life of a Saints supporter.
How can you be angry with the players unless you think they didnt give their best. I will have a guess and say supporters truely dont know what it is like for a player to lose 2 GF's in 2 years. As for if we win next year I will never even remember the results of the previous 2 years if that happens.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's amazing how spoilt we become isn't it. Half way through 2008 I'm tipping most of us would have just been glad to make the finals in 09 and 2010. We lose 2 grand finals, one by a tiny margain, draw one against a team that no-one got close to in the finals and were CLEARLY the best team all year, and suddenly the players aren't hurting as much as us???

I was shattered after the game, and being married to a rabid pies supporter doesn't help. I live with not only the stickers on one of the cars I drive, but also with a Collingwood flag flying proudly on our back verandah easily seen by the whole neighbourhood. My wife even got a small tattoo on her groin to mark the occasion :shock: Do I like it? NO. At the end of the day as disappointed as what I was, and as happy as it would make me to see the saints win a flag, I'm not going to throw all the toys out of the cot and claim the players aren't hurting as much as me. In fact, this is what supporting a club is all about. For those who feel sorry for themselves Collingwood supporters themselves would know exactly how we feel. They lost THREE Grand Finals in a row from 79-81. They lost TWO in a row in 02-03. WE aren't the only ones it's happened to, and I know the pies supporters kept backing up year after year despite the heartache. All we can do is back up as well. Rather than feel a flag would be less of an achievement next year or whenever it happens b/c of the last 2 years, I would be even happier as I know the struggles us and the players would have gone through to win the bloody thing.

St Lenny
Club Player

Yes, you are probably right, we don't know what it feels like as players. But I do know one thing, we have been doing this alot longer than them also they go overseas within a few days of the game being over, while we are at home coping the backlash. By the time they get back the dust has settled and when you are away overseas you are removed from it. No one over there knows who they are.

Pretty sure I wouldn't be the only supporter feeling angry over loosing.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I was shattered after the game, and being married to a rabid pies supporter doesn't help. I live with not only the stickers on one of the cars I drive, but also with a Collingwood flag flying proudly on our back verandah easily seen by the whole neighbourhood. My wife even got a small tattoo on her groin to mark the occasion :shock: Do I like it? NO. At the end of the day as disappointed as what I was, and as happy as it would make me to see the saints win a flag, I'm not going to throw all the toys out of the cot and claim the players aren't hurting as much as me. In fact, this is what supporting a club is all about. For those who feel sorry for themselves Collingwood supporters themselves would know exactly how we feel. They lost THREE Grand Finals in a row from 79-81. They lost TWO in a row in 02-03. WE aren't the only ones it's happened to, and I know the pies supporters kept backing up year after year despite the heartache. All we can do is back up as well. Rather than feel a flag would be less of an achievement next year or whenever it happens b/c of the last 2 years, I would be even happier as I know the struggles us and the players would have gone through to win the bloody thing.
How about filing for divorce and stop feeling any sympathy for the Filth losing those previous GF's?

FFS, we have only 1 solitary Premiership in over 110 years of being in the AFL/VFL.

I don't know about you, but I want to live to see the day the club actually wins a second flag.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Moods wrote:I was shattered after the game, and being married to a rabid pies supporter doesn't help. I live with not only the stickers on one of the cars I drive, but also with a Collingwood flag flying proudly on our back verandah easily seen by the whole neighbourhood. My wife even got a small tattoo on her groin to mark the occasion :shock: Do I like it? NO. At the end of the day as disappointed as what I was, and as happy as it would make me to see the saints win a flag, I'm not going to throw all the toys out of the cot and claim the players aren't hurting as much as me. In fact, this is what supporting a club is all about. For those who feel sorry for themselves Collingwood supporters themselves would know exactly how we feel. They lost THREE Grand Finals in a row from 79-81. They lost TWO in a row in 02-03. WE aren't the only ones it's happened to, and I know the pies supporters kept backing up year after year despite the heartache. All we can do is back up as well. Rather than feel a flag would be less of an achievement next year or whenever it happens b/c of the last 2 years, I would be even happier as I know the struggles us and the players would have gone through to win the bloody thing.
How about filing for divorce and stop feeling any sympathy for the Filth losing those previous GF's?

FFS, we have only 1 solitary Premiership in over 110 years of being in the AFL/VFL.

I don't know about you, but I want to live to see the day the club actually wins a second flag.
How about quit moping around like a sad sack and get a life. Never said I felt sorry for the pies supporters, just using them as an example as ppl seem to think that we're the only team to have ever have lost two GF's in a row.

AS much enjoyment as footy gives me, it's still just a game mate. I truly hope you don't require a terminal illness to yourself or a loved one, or a life changing permanent injury to put your life into perspective.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:It's amazing how spoilt we become isn't it. Half way through 2008 I'm tipping most of us would have just been glad to make the finals in 09 and 2010. We lose 2 grand finals, one by a tiny margain, draw one against a team that no-one got close to in the finals and were CLEARLY the best team all year, and suddenly the players aren't hurting as much as us???

I was shattered after the game, and being married to a rabid pies supporter doesn't help. I live with not only the stickers on one of the cars I drive, but also with a Collingwood flag flying proudly on our back verandah easily seen by the whole neighbourhood. My wife even got a small tattoo on her groin to mark the occasion :shock: Do I like it? NO. At the end of the day as disappointed as what I was, and as happy as it would make me to see the saints win a flag, I'm not going to throw all the toys out of the cot and claim the players aren't hurting as much as me. In fact, this is what supporting a club is all about. For those who feel sorry for themselves Collingwood supporters themselves would know exactly how we feel. They lost THREE Grand Finals in a row from 79-81. They lost TWO in a row in 02-03. WE aren't the only ones it's happened to, and I know the pies supporters kept backing up year after year despite the heartache. All we can do is back up as well. Rather than feel a flag would be less of an achievement next year or whenever it happens b/c of the last 2 years, I would be even happier as I know the struggles us and the players would have gone through to win the bloody thing.
Gee Moods, I don't know how old you are but hopefully you're at that stage in life where your wife is, you know, just a friend. :wink:

Otherwise you're really up against it.

I mean, if my wife had a magpie tattooed in a similar spot I reckon I'd perform even more poorly than the Saints in GF2. In fact, I don't think I'd be able to score at all :shock:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Moods wrote:It's amazing how spoilt we become isn't it. Half way through 2008 I'm tipping most of us would have just been glad to make the finals in 09 and 2010. We lose 2 grand finals, one by a tiny margain, draw one against a team that no-one got close to in the finals and were CLEARLY the best team all year, and suddenly the players aren't hurting as much as us???

Gee Moods, I don't know how old you are but hopefully you're at that stage in life where your wife is, you know, just a friend. :wink:

Otherwise you're really up against it.

I mean, if my wife had a magpie tattooed in a similar spot I reckon I'd perform even more poorly than the Saints in GF2. In fact, I don't think I'd be able to score at all :shock:

:lol: :lol: THis has been discussed.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
How about quit moping around like a sad sack and get a life. Never said I felt sorry for the pies supporters, just using them as an example as ppl seem to think that we're the only team to have ever have lost two GF's in a row.

AS much enjoyment as footy gives me, it's still just a game mate. I truly hope you don't require a terminal illness to yourself or a loved one, or a life changing permanent injury to put your life into perspective.
Jeez Louise! I was only kidding, mate.

Perhaps my joke about filing for divorce was a little below the belt.

BOOM, BOOM, TISH!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Moods wrote:

Jeez Louise! I was only kidding, mate.

Perhaps my joke about filing for divorce was a little below the belt.

BOOM, BOOM, TISH!
Fair enough. I saw red and did take it the wrong way. :oops: It's her one great flaw (barracking for the pies that is) Sometimes I think it would just be easier if her flaw was that she just nagged me 8-)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

don't know that it's grief
but there is a definite heart ache when certain pictures or people / person are shown- as there had been all year

and I feel for the players knowing what they have put in- body and soul on the line- in trying to acheive what you all wish for..I am saddened for them--

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
westy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Focus on the cricket the rain and the election
Hmmmm

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Focus on the cricket the rain and the election
Hmmmm
yeah, but he'd rather see ted the toff as the raining premier instead of the st.kilda footy club.