List changes 2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:Two possibilities - for some reason (and I could be way off with this) I thought Dean Cox might have been a possibility to be traded out of West Coast? From his desire, or list rebuilding or something? If so, for 2 or so more years to team up with Big Mac whilst we're still up the top, he wouldn't be a terrible investment.

Otherwise, Travis Boak. I thought he wanted to come back to Melbourne, and this guy can really play. If he's a possibility, I'd love to have him play for the Saints.
Boak has recently signed a multi year deal with Port.

Cox would have a very high asking price but is definitely worth enquiring about.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I hope Gardiner goes around 1 more year.

Anybody know what R Harvey's realtionship with A Walker was like ? - would it be a factor in luring him to the Saints ?. He is injury prone but the way i look at it, we have had at least 1 spot on our list for the past decade for a highly talented injury prone star .. X Clarke, M Gardiner, Jesse Smith. Given that J Smith wont be going around next year and potentially Gardiner goes as well, why not punt on Walker ?. Our medico's are as good as any in the business ..

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I hope Gardiner goes around 1 more year.

Anybody know what R Harvey's realtionship with A Walker was like ? - would it be a factor in luring him to the Saints ?. He is injury prone but the way i look at it, we have had at least 1 spot on our list for the past decade for a highly talented injury prone star .. X Clarke, M Gardiner, Jesse Smith. Given that J Smith wont be going around next year and potentially Gardiner goes as well, why not punt on Walker ?. Our medico's are as good as any in the business ..
To afford him we would need to probably get rid of a player on 300k.

SaintTom
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Zed wrote:I hope Gardiner goes around 1 more year.

To afford him we would need to probably get rid of a player on 300k.
Not that it would be a huge amount, but Blake goes onto the veterans list next year and half his salary won't count under the cap.

Not keen on injury prone stars. Out of the three that you mentioned, the only success was Gards, and he took a long time to get up.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Patrick Veszpremi from Sydney? A 21 year old, pick 11 from 2007 hasnt been able to break into their squad but from what ive seen has massive potential to be a superstar. Players like this miss out in their current squad as Sydney always trade mature players in to stay in finals year in year out and dont have opportunity to develop some players.

Sydney have come out and said they are putting him out there for trade bait.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Patrick Veszpremi from Sydney? A 21 year old, pick 11 from 2007 hasnt been able to break into their squad but from what ive seen has massive potential to be a superstar. Players like this miss out in their current squad as Sydney always trade mature players in to stay in finals year in year out and dont have opportunity to develop some players.

Always heard good things about him. Definitely consider.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...well I am already excited about next year (but more excited about this Saturday!!!!)

While many including the media keep prattling on about the Pies depth....fact is that most of this depth is now past it, or not up to it:

Davis, Fraser, Medurst, Lockyer, Presti, O'Bree all past it.

or not up to it:

Anthony, Buckley..or just gone like Rusling.

With the Saints we are losing some us well, but we have a genuine core of young talent who will be trying to get into the 22:

Geary, Stanley, Steven, Miles, Armo , A Smith......
...and possibly Lynch and Heyne.

Simpkin could be the next Blake.

Walsh after another pre-season could be capable of pushing up next year (though is stilla smokey).

Personally I still give Gaertner a chance as well.

Zac has rewarded Lyon's faith after being ill over Summer. After another solid pre-season to regain the muscle mass he lost this year he should be capable of a good 2011.

PS: If say all of Stanley, Smith, Gaertner, Miles and maybe Steven as well could force their way into the 22 just imagine how quick it would be!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Rumours coming out of Brisbane tonight is that Mitch Clark is asking to be traded (Hutchy mentioned it on the footy show). Was in the ruck a fair bit this year due to injuries to their key ruck man. Might be a good back up for Macca?

Could be worth a look at if the rumours are true.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Rumours coming out of Brisbane tonight is that Mitch Clark is asking to be traded (Hutchy mentioned it on the footy show). Was in the ruck a fair bit this year due to injuries to their key ruck man. Might be a good back up for Macca?

Could be worth a look at if the rumours are true.
He'd be more than back-up. Unlucky not to be All-Australian in 2009.
Very good player.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well off his best this year, expected him to blossom...and he didn't, only news I've heard of him recently wasn't great.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Thrived being the only ruck last year, this year he has struggled and now seems to be behind Burger.

We would have to give up too much for him.

I would prefer to persist with Big Mac.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

#1GILL wrote:Thrived being the only ruck last year, this year he has struggled and now seems to be behind Burger.

I mentioned in my post that that he could possibly be a back up for Ben NO a replacement. An additional ruckman cannot hurt depending on whether or not Gardi retires.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saint75 wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Thrived being the only ruck last year, this year he has struggled and now seems to be behind Burger.

I mentioned in my post that that he could possibly be a back up for Ben NO a replacement. An additional ruckman cannot hurt depending on whether or not Gardi retires.
But if we got him he wouldn't be a back up for Ben. He would be our #1 ruck, and Ben might even request a trade himself if we brought in this bloke. He probably already feels hard done by the club and if we went out and paid top dollar for another ruck he might take it personally and leave.

Clark was great last year, but this year when Lions had another ruckman who wasn't injured, he stuggled.
If we pick him up, I wouldn't think both Ben and Mitch would play in the same team, hence why I said I'd rather persist with Big Boy McEvoy.

JohnE
Club Player

Let Raph go (if anyone else actually wants him). Sam Sheldon we don't need (trust me), same with Mitch Clarke. That Sydney player looks alright though...

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

JohnE wrote:Let Raph go (if anyone else actually wants him). Sam Sheldon we don't need (trust me), same with Mitch Clarke. That Sydney player looks alright though...
Sure, let's just get rid of Raph.... :roll: :roll:

Fair dinkum, he was just looking like going to the next level when injury hit. I know he has had more than his fair share of injuries, but we would not get anything for him, and we may as well persist with trying to get his body right, because the potential is well and truely there.

Who is Mitch Clarke? What team does he play for and what position? Could he fill Raph's spot do you think?

awesome_days
Club Player

I think Mitch Clark would be rather expensive but none the less an excellent acquisition.

Clark would be more of a Koschitzke replacement than a Gardiner one, from memory he is touted as a KPP/ruckman. Could hold down CHB, CHF,FF and ruck.

Potential for Big Mac being #1, Clark #2 and Kosi #3. Clark, Kosi & Riewoldt rotating between forward roles, with potential for 3 talls at times.

That being said he would be a very unlikely pickup.

KEEP RAPH! Shown this year he is a top 15 player.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Raph is getting to the point where it just seems unrealistic for him to string more than a month of good footy together. He's usually injured in the pre season, comes in and struggles for a while before building up some form, playing a few good games and then getting injured again and going back to square one. No doubt he's got some serious talent but I don't know if we should persist with someone who contributes 5 or 6 decent games per season and hasn't been able to get his body right once in 7 years. I do rate him but he seems to be going the way of his brother; simply breaking down in the heat of AFL footy.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Shaun GRIGG wants out of Carlton...

Shaun GRIGG wants out of Carlton...

I think he is exactly what we need a skilled quick midfileder, for whatever reason Ratten has not given him time to settle at the Blues and he wants out !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
awesome_days
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:Patrick Veszpremi from Sydney? A 21 year old, pick 11 from 2007 hasnt been able to break into their squad but from what ive seen has massive potential to be a superstar. Players like this miss out in their current squad as Sydney always trade mature players in to stay in finals year in year out and dont have opportunity to develop some players.

Is he David Armitage v2.0???

If so yes please, would like to see both running around next year. Can only onceivably see one trade in, and this would take our 1st rounder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Vezpremi was looking like a potential star. Just hasn't got going yet. Small forward possible long term Milney replacement.

Mitch Clarke would be on very good money so no.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

awesome_days wrote:

If so yes please, would like to see both running around next year. Can only onceivably see one trade in, and this would take our 1st rounder.

Bit of info on him from Wiki but i seem to remember him playing midfield aswell for Sydney. :

Originally from Bundoora, Victoria,[1] Veszpremi was drafted to the Swans from the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup with the 11th selection in the 2007 AFL Draft. He was named in the Under 18 All Australian side as a defender, but also played as a forward, where he once kicked eight goals for the Knights in a final.[2]

He made his debut for the Swans in 2008 Round 18 against the Western Bulldogs in a 16 point defeat. In his fourth game against Brisbane he kicked four goals.[1]

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would guess that Ross sees quick mids as a priority still. The leg speed will become more important now collingwood plays at such breakneck pace.

I would like us to go after an Alwyn Davey type or someone similar that can really take an extra step on their direct opponent. Jetta for Essendon doesn't seem to get much game time either. They should be getting a bit of development put into them and might be a nice time to raid while Essendon is imploding a bit.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
awesome_days wrote:

Bit of info on him from Wiki but i seem to remember him playing midfield aswell for Sydney. :

Originally from Bundoora, Victoria,[1] Veszpremi was drafted to the Swans from the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup with the 11th selection in the 2007 AFL Draft. He was named in the Under 18 All Australian side as a defender, but also played as a forward, where he once kicked eight goals for the Knights in a final.[2]

He made his debut for the Swans in 2008 Round 18 against the Western Bulldogs in a 16 point defeat. In his fourth game against Brisbane he kicked four goals.[1]
always struggled with his weight, picked higher then expected. Sydney might want too much but have always been decient traders (value for value). I would perhaps look at armo and swap 2nd round picks for him.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Big chance Dogs will be in the mix for him

Dogs current recruiting manager was development manager at Northern Knights region in 2007 when Veszpremi played for Knights

knows him very well

saint4life
Sam23
SS Life Member

ChicagoSaint wrote:money may or may not be a factor for armo
cheers for the insight

Goddard.