play injured players a dangerous move

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Thinline wrote:
samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Jolly, Brown, and Dawes also plod mightily well too.

Two talls for us for mine. Work a tired Jolly over. Also gives us rotatable marking targets forward and also a permanent tall marking option on the fwd flank for zone busting on the kick ins.
Brown and Dawes are definitely not plodders.

.. don't forget we had an extra ground level player in the second half - because we had Kosi on the ground in the second half doing the ruck work with no Gardiner - so we always had the extra ground level player last week instead of the second plodder.
So to get back to last week's balance (in the 2nd half) - we will need to bring in a ground level player - I suggest Geary.
In the second half last week we seemed to get the balance right - in Gardiner's absence.
We disagree. There you go! :D
Brown and Dawes are not slow - so I need to disagree with you there.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:
samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Two talls for us for mine. Work a tired Jolly over. Also gives us rotatable marking targets forward and also a permanent tall marking option on the fwd flank for zone busting on the kick ins.

.. don't forget we had an extra ground level player in the second half - because we had Kosi on the ground in the second half doing the ruck work with no Gardiner - so we always had the extra ground level player last week instead of the second plodder.
So to get back to last week's balance (in the 2nd half) - we will need to bring in a ground level player - I suggest Geary.
In the second half last week we seemed to get the balance right - in Gardiner's absence.
But neither are their direct opponents.

It's relative to match ups surely.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:
samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:

But neither are their direct opponents.

It's relative to match ups surely.
Our biggest problem(to me) is countering/stopping their run off half back - Shaw and Thomas etc... - that's where the game will be won or lost.
We need ground level players to do it - and a plan.

eppo67
Club Player

Much of their run came for uncontested marks off half back. Uncontested marks off half back are huge momentum swingers and they were playing for that b/c they knew we had just the one target until Gilbert went fwd.

Why do you think Gilbert went into the fwd. line because we needed another tall target (he is 194cm).

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Geez it'd be a ballsy call.

Maybe that kind of balls will be the diff?

We'll see.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mohannair
Club Player

samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I hear what you say but what happens if one of our "part time" ruck goes down during the game & will be left with no one to ruck. Having Gardi, Blakey & Kosi helped us even when Gardi went down. But if we go only with Kosi & Blakey and in the event of a mis fortunate incident/injury we will be exposed.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Much of their run came for uncontested marks off half back. Uncontested marks off half back are huge momentum swingers and they were playing for that b/c they knew we had just the one target until Gilbert went fwd.

Why do you think Gilbert went into the fwd. line because we needed another tall target (he is 194cm).
The point is Gilbert can also provide chase - and their half back line is very quick.

McEvoy may be able to take 1 or 2 marks inside 50 - but what can he do about the 26 possessions that Thomas had for instance or the 24 that Shaw had ???
His 1 or 2 marks inside 50 will do little to stop their run - and them from racking up possessions at will - with little pressure !

They are very damaging players - they need to be chased down by quick ground level players... we need to crank up that pressure and chase.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Teams with strong rucks usually end up on top in a big final..part time rucks are not the answer. We really need more goal kicking and I feel McEvoy has good football smarts and plays well into the forward line. Ruck Macca and Kosi and leave Blake for backline duties. Our half forwards need to take a few more grabs, put the Woods half backline under pressure..mind you it doesn't help if the midfield are kicking the ball over your head straight to the opposition. I'm sure RL will be drumming home the disposal by foot issue to the onballers this week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The reason McEvoy isn't already first ruck is the fact that he is better around the ground than in the ruck. Gardy is like Jolly, a true ruck man and gets a lot more hitouts.

That said I think he could stretch the Pies when moving into the forward line, as he is dangerous around the goals if left unattended. The guy proved himself a level headed player when he slotted the goal that got us a draw against the Hawks.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Teams with strong rucks usually end up on top in a big final..part time rucks are not the answer. We really need more goal kicking and I feel McEvoy has good football smarts and plays well into the forward line. Ruck Macca and Kosi and leave Blake for backline duties. Our half forwards need to take a few more grabs, put the Woods half backline under pressure..mind you it doesn't help if the midfield are kicking the ball over your head straight to the opposition. I'm sure RL will be drumming home the disposal by foot issue to the onballers this week.
We won more hitouts than they did.
Collingwood wins games with their ground level pressure and run off half back which we clearly need to counter this week.

If we stop their run off half back (with quick ground level players) - and subdue their midfield again - the GF is ours.

We can't let their half back line (Shaw, Thomas and Maxwell) get 70 possessions again.

We need to stifle their run all over the ground this time and break their spirit.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The reason McEvoy isn't already first ruck is the fact that he is better around the ground than in the ruck. Gardy is like Jolly, a true ruck man and gets a lot more hitouts.

That said I think he could stretch the Pies when moving into the forward line, as he is dangerous around the goals if left unattended. The guy proved himself a level headed player when he slotted the goal that got us a draw against the Hawks.
And kicked the one that got us going against the Bulldogs. I really like him as a player and would pick him this week. But Ross knows best. Whatever they decide to do, I'll back it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: And kicked the one that got us going against the Bulldogs. I really like him as a player and would pick him this week. But Ross knows best. Whatever they decide to do, I'll back it.
Me too - I'll back RL's call.

Whatever happens - their run off half back must be countered and I'll
kow-tow to him (RL) if he comes up with an effective plan.

I'm just concerned that the balance we had right with Kosi and Blake rucking and therefore the extra ground level player we had in the 2nd half last week would be lost with McEvoy's inclusion - that's all.

We need 2 halves - like the 2nd half last week !

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
bigcarl wrote: And kicked the one that got us going against the Bulldogs. I really like him as a player and would pick him this week. But Ross knows best. Whatever they decide to do, I'll back it.
Me too - I'll back RL's call.

Whatever happens - their run off half back must be countered and I'll
kow-tow to him (RL) if he comes up with an effective plan.

I'm just concerned that the balance we had right with Kosi and Blake rucking and therefore the extra ground level player we had in the 2nd half last week would be lost with McEvoy's inclusion - that's all.

We need 2 halves - like the 2nd half last week !
What if it's Kosi and McEvoy first and second ruck/drifting forward and Gilbert again plays forward? I'd look at that, but in all honesty, what would I know.

eppo67
Club Player

Samoht you make good points and I dont disagree with you. I really just fell we need 1 recognised Ruckman.

Big Mac is very mobile, can kick a goal and has a great opportunity to run Jollly into the ground. I think he is better suited to the running issues you are referring to than Gardi. The fact that some of our runners could not run at 100% is a issue that needs to be addressed.

But pressure off half back is as you say vital to our chances.

FQF
SS Life Member

Why are some people SO out of touch with reality???

DWOODROW
Club Player

FQF wrote:Why are some people SO out of touch with reality???
I know, no one really has an injury anymore. They are all fine.haha
But really they don't :shock:

FQF
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:
So you also think that Gram Dall Gilbert and Gardi will all be out this week?

Gosh...

DWOODROW
Club Player

FQF wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
So you also think that Gram Dall Gilbert and Gardi will all be out this week?

Gosh...[/quote

hahaha, no not at all. Stuff all changes if you ask me