Could Milne have goaled?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:He stopped to see which way the ball was going to bounce. Looking at it now it's easy to say that if he continued to run at it he would have collected and put his name in the record books, but at the time I think he made the right choice, if he attacked it and it bounced the wrong way, he would have run past it and Collingwood would have run it out and we lose.

He made sure we would atleast get a point by the way he positioned himself I think.

That last play just expresses how great our game is, that's just Aussie Rules footy, unique ball, unique bounce.
Agreed - did the team thing. Most of us would settle for a draw rather than GAMBLE on winning I reckon.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

what to do?

wait for a bounce up? jump on the ball? see if it bounces through for a goal and shepherd it through?

He was probably waiting to see if was
1. going to go through for a goal
2. bounce into his hands.
3. dribble along for a toe punt
4. break for a point.

1. if
1. then he would shepherd it, he looked like he was steeling himself for a rearending
2. bounce in his hands, well, then drop it on his boot.
3. kick it of the ground
4. nothing he could do

I think he tried to cover all the bases in a short period of time.

and he did the right thing.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Don't buy into 'what if's'. It happened, move on. It was alway supposed to be a draw and nothing that was done in hindsight is going to change that.

Both sides could drive themselves crazy if they were to linger on this. It was a draw, learn from it, regroup and move on. The first side that is able to shelve that game and move on and improve will be the one that takes the Cup.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Don't buy into 'what if's'. It happened, move on. It was alway supposed to be a draw and nothing that was done in hindsight is going to change that.

Both sides could drive themselves crazy if they were to linger on this. It was a draw, learn from it, regroup and move on. The first side that is able to shelve that game and move on and improve will be the one that takes the Cup.
agree.

leave the "what ifs" to the collingwood fans. they had it in the bag at half time and somehow conjured up a draw.

Saints43
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:Birds eye view. 44 covered all his bases and did the team thing ensuring a score of any kind. Kept his head and didn't gamble with glory. We were on top, chances were we'd score again. Brilliant decision making by Milne.
Same. Looking from above he did everything right to give himself a chance to get the ball yet no chance to give them possesion.

AP Erebus
Club Player

I was up that end and I thought that he probably wouldn't have easily taken the ball.

If the bounce had run on instead of diving right then he was a sure thing, but such is the ball and I don't think he could have got to it cleanly.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I back Milne 100% in this. Imagine if he had tried to gather and got smashed in a tackle or muffed it completely and they had won by a point. I have full faith in Milne that if it was possible to kick a goal from that he would have.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad no one seems to be scapegoating him on this one. Pity there wasn't a behind the goal angle of it. But I think he got one of those bounces that is very difficult to read.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I'm glad no one seems to be scapegoating him on this one. Pity there wasn't a behind the goal angle of it. But I think he got one of those bounces that is very difficult to read.
Exactly.

Leigh Matthews' comments on Game Day were, IMO, pretty ordinary. Very easy to sit back and clinically look at it and say he should have done this or that.

I certainly don't have any problems with the efforts on Saturday of Milney or any of his team mates. They did us, and themeselves, proud.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:I back Milne 100% in this. Imagine if he had tried to gather and got smashed in a tackle or muffed it completely and they had won by a point. I have full faith in Milne that if it was possible to kick a goal from that he would have.
agree with above. imagine if milne got there, founda a way to pick up the ball and kicked it out on the full?

imagine the screaming imagine collinwood winning by a point based on that.

UGH too much . he did the best thing he could with only seconds o think about it, if that.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

saintly wrote:
TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:I back Milne 100% in this. Imagine if he had tried to gather and got smashed in a tackle or muffed it completely and they had won by a point. I have full faith in Milne that if it was possible to kick a goal from that he would have.
agree with above. imagine if milne got there, founda a way to pick up the ball and kicked it out on the full?

imagine the screaming imagine collinwood winning by a point based on that.

UGH too much . he did the best thing he could with only seconds o think about it, if that.
yeah exactly if you could pick one of players to be in front of goals in a situation like that you would pick our Milney. In the heat of the moment he responded as best as anyone could.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through