Stopping Swan. Should Eddy go to Swan???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
I agree but no team is going to leave any player loose on the goal line. No matter who it is. I think Mini will go to Shaw and O'Brien will play on Schneider or Milne.
Sure, but taking Maxwell to the goal line gives him an easy crack at being the '3rd man up' in any contest within 30m of goal.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:So trying to 'make him accountable' won't work. They'll be Ok for that to happen - unless of course he concedes 4 or 5. So unless we have a bloke who is capable of kicking 4 or 5 on O'Brien in a GF, I think we need to negate his run rather than focussing on his accountable.
we have two blokes who can definitely kick three in a big game - milne and schneider - and if not matched up, i'd back them to kick more. at some point the pies need to match them up, so early goals from those two are crucial. goldsack will get one, and if o'brien doesn't then it must be johnson on the other, but that keeps johnson out of the midfield battles, so that's a bonus as well.

so then it's probably brett peake for o'brien. he's another who can kick a goal or two, and he definitely has the pace to stay with o'brien. the only query is whether his concentration and smarts are there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If O'Brien goes to Milne..we do not want "high" aerial balls into him as that allows O'Brien to kill him.

Milne needs to drag him upfield into traffic...or to crumb off Kosi.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Anyone seen the stats on where Swan gets his touches?

Seems to get a hell of a lot deep in defence.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Is he like r.hArvey? Untaggable?

I hope the saints can find a way to stop this stat machine because nobody else has all year.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly one of Swans worst games (not that he has had a bad one this year) was against the Saints in Round 3.

I think the real key on limiting Swan's impact is for our whole team to be up and about.

ThomasR
Club Player

seems to hit a lot of stoppages hard and has good acceleration and a bit of nous.. uses his speed to run clear of the stoppage and then blasts a kick.

the most important player might not be the one manning him at the stoppage but instead those structuring up in areas where he is kicking tumble punts that will ensure we have numbers at the contest.

he doesn't seem to give off the handball all that often which might enable players to leave their man to pressure him and it's why we can run someone like BJ off him and hurt him the other way

in terms of shutting down a player i think it's more important for pendlebury to get the hard tag because he moves very well particularly laterally in traffic and is a great kick

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:
in terms of shutting down a player i think it's more important for pendlebury to get the hard tag because he moves very well particularly laterally in traffic and is a great kick
It would seem likely that CJ will take him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
ThomasR wrote:in terms of shutting down a player i think it's more important for pendlebury to get the hard tag because he moves very well particularly laterally in traffic and is a great kick
It would seem likely that CJ will take him.
i'd send cj to didak and let pendlebury go head-to-head with hayes or dal santo. they're tough enough inside that they'll make him earn it. didak's the one who can spark them and give their kids confidence.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

If I was to put an Eddy on Swan it'd be the Eddie version, god knows he'd wear him like a glove for the full 120 minutes!! Sorry for the visuals everyone!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
FQF
SS Life Member

A thought of this a few months ago, but it was not well liked at the time...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

matrix
Saintsational Legend

joey on swan

swan will be chasing tail all day