Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring was crap up until about 8:10pm, then evened out. Lots of high contact to Saints players in marking contests being missed...and Wood headbutting Kosi in the ribs deemed high contact! :shock:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

When a field umpire signals all clear and a goal umpire signals a goal, isn't that it?

Who butted in and said it wasn't a goal? He would not have had a good a view as the goal umpire.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:When a field umpire signals all clear and a goal umpire signals a goal, isn't that it?

Who butted in and said it wasn't a goal? He would not have had a good a view as the goal umpire.
Another bulls*** decision, and another first against St Kilda. Maybe, as per Lenny's 'extraordinary MRP review' earlier this season, it was a 'concerned member of the public' who phoned in (wearing a black and white scarf)???

sRaf
Club Player

Even though it was 14 to 21, I never really felt the umpiring leaned to one side. We got some that weren't there and so did they. They did well to let it go.

Overall, a pretty decently umpired game.

derby Street
Club Player

degruch wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:When a field umpire signals all clear and a goal umpire signals a goal, isn't that it?

Another bulls*** decision, and another first against St Kilda. Maybe, as per Lenny's 'extraordinary MRP review' earlier this season, it was a 'concerned member of the public' who phoned in (wearing a black and white scarf)???
I couldn't work that out at all - the goal umpire was in perfect position and should have told everyone else to p#ss off. That's what he is paid to do.By the way I think it was touched :D

degruch
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:
degruch wrote:

I couldn't work that out at all - the goal umpire was in perfect position and should have told everyone else to p#ss off. That's what he is paid to do.By the way I think it was touched :D
Looked touched to me too...but that doesn't matter, the umpire in the best position made the call, which should stand...where did the mysterious reversal originate? One of the commentators claimed "If the AFL are now using some kind of technology to influence decisions, we'd sure like to know about it". Ditto what he said.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Boundary umpire.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Boundary umpire.
In a better position than the goal umpire?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Apparently he thought so. I was on the wing and couldn't tell either way. Just why we don't have four goal umpires (in finals at least) remains a mystery.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
Apparently he thought so. I was on the wing and couldn't tell either way. Just why we don't have four goal umpires (in finals at least) remains a mystery.
They'd all run into each other...it'd be like the Keystone Cops.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:...They'd all run into each other...it'd be like the Keystone Cops.
They don't in the pre season cup where it has been in for years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
If it is right who cares who signals it. I bet we wish a boundary umpire had said something in the Gf last year. Anyway the umpiring was good.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
If it is right who cares who signals it. I bet we wish a boundary umpire had said something in the Gf last year. Anyway the umpiring was good.
They don't seem to interject much against St Kilda. Well, now that the standard has been set, I look forward to every umpire and official on the ground holding a conference post score to work out what should be awarded. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
They don't seem to interject much against St Kilda. Well, now that the standard has been set, I look forward to every umpire and official on the ground holding a conference post score to work out what should be awarded. :roll:
I think it is because the AFL hate us. It makes sense.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
You know it. Strange fact though, isn't it. Please share your tiny thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
There is nothing to say. It would be obvious they would rather a WB side limp into a final and the worst GF ever than have 2 great sides fight out a great GF. It makes sense.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
There is nothing to say. It would be obvious they would rather a WB side limp into a final and the worst GF ever than have 2 great sides fight out a great GF. It makes sense.
Of course it does. Seems to be a lot of scoring discrepancies against St Kilda, all clubs, any time of the year, any season. How odd.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
Of course it does. Seems to be a lot of scoring discrepancies against St Kilda, all clubs, any time of the year, any season. How odd.
Must be great watching footy with that attitude. You really should enjoy the GF next week. I prefer to think we start level next Saturday level.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 19 Sep 2010 1:03am, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Must be great watching footy with that attitude.
Give it a go some time, you'll learn something. :lol:

StPeter
Club Player

I hardly noticed the umpires all night which is a good sign.
I will reassess after watching the replay but I thought one of the most satifactory displays for the year.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I cheered when Matt Stevic entered the arena.

Anyone else?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

12.1.5 Goal Umpire to Judge Goal or Behind
(a) The goal Umpire shall decide whether a Goal or Behind has
been scored but may, before deciding, consult with the field or
boundary Umpires. The decision of the goal Umpire shall be
final.
from

http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_doc ... l_2008.pdf

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintnick12
Club Player

sRaf wrote:Image

Even though it was 14 to 21, I never really felt the umpiring leaned to one side. We got some that weren't there and so did they. They did well to let it go.

Overall, a pretty decently umpired game.
Interesting that there were no frees to us in our most dominant part of the game in the early to mid third qtr. So we did our best work without any assistance from the umpires.

Opps, missed that one to us at the start. :oops: Still, good to see

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I think the umpiring early was appalling. They seemed to put the whistle away when blatant obvious free kicks should have been paid to us.

One of the most obvious, was when Rooey was being wrestled, arms chopped and had his head almost pulled off, as the ball was in flight & heading towards him and his opponant- and it wasn't paid!

What's more, the ch10 Bulldogs fans in the box were saying he played for it! -and they whinged whenever we recieved a rare, but deserved free.

On the otherhand, if anything in blue was anywhere near the ball, they suddenly found the whistle again

We could overcome the lop-sided umpiring this week, but if this unproffessional form of umpiring is present next week ...I shudder to think.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
12.1.5 Goal Umpire to Judge Goal or Behind
(a) The goal Umpire shall decide whether a Goal or Behind has
been scored but may, before deciding, consult with the field or
boundary Umpires. The decision of the goal Umpire shall be
final.
from

http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_doc ... l_2008.pdf
Interesting, the goal had already been awarded...so, a new rule is born!