Would you draft Andrew Krakouer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

nope

(lol nazi king)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

He will be about 28 years of age next season and is no JPod.

He has not had ONE decent season in his 100 odd game career.

NO!!!

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

hope the guy gets a chance with one of the WA sides as he is doing some great stuff off field over there.

But no, the club wont be going for anyone with ? marks over their history.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:He will be about 28 years of age next season and is no JPod.

NO!!!
agree.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

Absolutely

He has just had a break out season and he has become a role model for the development of indigenous kids in footy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

NO

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gee whiz. freo will be tempted ud think with where they are at. their window is open in the next 2 years. they will be spewing about losing taz. big loss for them.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Another NO

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

NO!!!
"No JPod" What does that mean? In what way?
He sounds just like JPod, except that he's had over 100 games of AFL experience, whereas JPod trained, or was on a rookie list, or whatever, with just about every AFL team in Victoria and none of them thought he was good enough to be worth promoting (until this year). At least at the same time Krakouer was good enough to be playing AFL. 100+ games, no less. He was only "ordinary", but it seems has now turned his life around and appears to now be playing clearly his best ever footy, just like JPod has this year. If he's not just like JPod, if not a better version, who the hell is?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

NO!!!
"No JPod" What does that mean? In what way?
He sounds just like JPod, except that he's had over 100 games of AFL experience, whereas JPod trained, or was on a rookie list, or whatever, with just about every AFL team in Victoria and none of them thought he was good enough to be worth promoting (until this year). At least at the same time Krakour was good enough to be playing AFL. 100 games, no less. He was only "ordinary", but it seems has now turned his life around and appears to now be playing clearly his best ever footy, just like JPod has this year. If he's not just like JPod, if not a better version, who the hell is?
i agree. who the hell is jpod? cripes. a krakour has every chance of exceeding friggin gaypod.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure I'd go that far, as JPod has had a very good year. I reckon whoever picks up Krakouer (if he gets picked up) would be thrilled to get a JPod-like season out of him next year.
I also wonder how many who are saying "no" to getting him, would have said the same thing last year, if asked if they wanted JPod, or how many of them said "yes" to A Lovett?
I wouldn't mind getting someone with speed, brilliance, great skills, experience, and genuine goalkicking ability, who can also get 51 possessions in a WAFL game: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/k ... 15a17.html

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Not for us.

Maybe W.C or Freo could risk him with a low pick. I cant remember him doing anything special with Richmond. Maybe in a decent team he might add a bit. His age wont help him either.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He would be in good nick from not playing 10 straight years of afl he could probably get to about 33 before he gave it away. Remember guys like Blakey and Harvey punished themselves past their mid thirties. He had some great passages of play in a team with no development people to help work on his game. I can see a bit of a Barlow type scenario with him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He would be in good nick from not playing 10 straight years of afl he could probably get to about 33 before he gave it away. Remember guys like Blakey and Harvey punished themselves past their mid thirties. He had some great passages of play in a team with no development people to help work on his game. I can see a bit of a Barlow type scenario with him.
yep, if he didn't cost much or require much commitment, and we were satisfied by his attitude, why not take him?

Moolie
Club Player

Can't vouch for his latest footy work, but I met him years ago and was really impressed. I am a teacher and in 2007 I was teaching a student who had severe cerebral palsy. She was a huge Tigers fan and chose to do a project on Andrew Krakouer. The school principal phoned the Tigers and told them about her. Shortly afterwards, Andrew made a surprise visit to the school, specifically to meet with this student and see her project. The cerebral palsy has rendered her partially deaf and almost unable to speak, so to communicate with her takes a great deal of time and patience. I was absolutely inspired by Andrew's visit. He stayed with us for at least 45 minutes and spent most of that time engaged with this particular student. After seeing this side of him I have always had a soft spot for him and was really disappointed when things went awry. Obviously you need to have more than a "soft spot" for a player in order to recruit them, but I just thought I'd put my experience out there. I hope he gets a second chance somewhere.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

For those that don't remember much about him, here is a little bit of a refresher:
I'd say he probably spent most of his time at Richmond as a "small forward", but has obviously spent most of this season in the midfield, so that may have been something else that helped spark his improved form. He's only been out of jail for about 10 months, too, so it's an impressive effort to do so well in his first season back, after presumably two years off. He's probably only just hitting his straps, too, as evidenced by his 51 possession game in the last round of the home and away season.
We desperately need someone else to rotate through the midfield and someone with line-breaking speed, skill and an ability to use the ball (and kick goals) is exactly what we want.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

No I wouldn't draft him, and I don't think the Saints will :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember him and Danny Frawley were real close.. Maybe worth a phone call to Danny.

Also on the flip side Goldcoast will probably list him and if any team wanted him they would have to trade for him with the Gold coast.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moolie wrote:Can't vouch for his latest footy work, but I met him years ago and was really impressed. I am a teacher and in 2007 I was teaching a student who had severe cerebral palsy. She was a huge Tigers fan and chose to do a project on Andrew Krakouer. The school principal phoned the Tigers and told them about her. Shortly afterwards, Andrew made a surprise visit to the school, specifically to meet with this student and see her project. The cerebral palsy has rendered her partially deaf and almost unable to speak, so to communicate with her takes a great deal of time and patience. I was absolutely inspired by Andrew's visit. He stayed with us for at least 45 minutes and spent most of that time engaged with this particular student. After seeing this side of him I have always had a soft spot for him and was really disappointed when things went awry. Obviously you need to have more than a "soft spot" for a player in order to recruit them, but I just thought I'd put my experience out there. I hope he gets a second chance somewhere.
Thanks for sharing...

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

To all those saying "no", without giving a reason, is there any particular reason, or is it just the standard fear, prejudice and general lack of courage that seems to be quite prevalent on here?

(A prejudice is a prejudgment: i.e. an assumption made about someone or something before having adequate knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy. (Wikipedia))

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:To all those saying "no", without giving a reason, is there any particular reason, or is it just the standard fear, prejudice and general lack of courage that seems to be quite prevalent on here?

(A prejudice is a prejudgment: i.e. an assumption made about someone or something before having adequate knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy. (Wikipedia))
Well for me it is simple. Was an average player 5 years ago and even though he had a great year will be 28 next season. I just dont see a regular spot for him IMO.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:To all those saying "no", without giving a reason, is there any particular reason, or is it just the standard fear, prejudice and general lack of courage that seems to be quite prevalent on here?

Well for me it is simple. Was an average player 5 years ago and even though he had a great year will be 28 next season. I just dont see a regular spot for him IMO.
Someone will definitely give him a run. My brother in Perth tells me AK's WAFL form has been so completely above the standard that it would be a complete waste not to see him given 2 years somewhere. My brother's a fair judge. Was all over CJ early on too!

Brown and Bock are both 27 and are headed to the Coast.

I fail to see how with the right attitude, the right skills and the willingness to bust his arse a fit and firing 28-year old can't get a game.

I understand your pragmatic stance, but I hope he does get a go. It would be a terrific redemptive tale, a kind of grassroots one, and one without the media fuelled shimmer and glitz of the whole Cousins spectacle.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was a bit like BJ at the tiges, never really cemented his spot and a bit slow to get moving early. He pretty much got moved on when after the frawley years, nothing seemed to be going right. He wasn't the worst at tiger land and always seemed like he was ready to really break out of the shackles. He was one of those guys who had a bit of bad luck timing wise. He was at a s*** club and a bit to old to stay, not quite there as a player and stigmatised by being involved at a club that offered one good season and fell away sharply. Fiora has probably made it hard for Saints fans to want anything from that era, but I saw more genuine potential from the Krak.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the youtube mix and am now salivating at the prospect. He picks up the ball like his dad, kicks some sweet goals, and has an innate sense of where the goals are. I have been saying for a couple of years that a fast indigenous forward would make us really unpredictable, he has a bit of Brett Peake with cleaner skills look about him. Go get him I say.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Someone will definitely give him a run. My brother in Perth tells me AK's WAFL form has been so completely above the standard that it would be a complete waste not to see him given 2 years somewhere. My brother's a fair judge. Was all over CJ early on too!

Brown and Bock are both 27 and are headed to the Coast.

I fail to see how with the right attitude, the right skills and the willingness to bust his arse a fit and firing 28-year old can't get a game.

I understand your pragmatic stance, but I hope he does get a go. It would be a terrific redemptive tale, a kind of grassroots one, and one without the media fuelled shimmer and glitz of the whole Cousins spectacle.
He will get a go for sure. Just dont believe it will be with us.