Beat the Cats week one...and...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
bigred wrote:Never be comfortable with the Cats.
Exactly.

On their day, they are still the most formidable force in the league.

And their day usually comes around when it counts most.

We should know that...
It is not so much being comfortable,,,but rather that I believe we match up on them very well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sainter#4
Club Player

for all the talk about not being comfortable with the cats or pies, do any of use believe that they are comfortable with us?

we have not once played 4 quaters of saints footy this year at any on point.
we strung a half against the cats and look what happened.

were just as big a chance as any of the other teams and ill back us in any game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
lurker#134 wrote:Oh wow, I would take Sydney in a prelim.
that's what we all said in 2005 - we all know what happened then.
Hopefully we won't meet Fitzroy in the GF. Remember 1913.

:evil: to Moods and Teflon :)
:wink: The only time the roys ever won flags was before anyone living now was even born

The qualifying final will be our most crucial game of the season. I know this sounds stupid, but I actually believe it is more crucial in terms of us winning the flag than the prelim and GF (which is obviously the game we need to win to win the flag!) That game will determine our destiny imo. If we can turn up all guns blazing I will be feeling extremely confident for the rest of the finals series.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The winner of the Geelong v Saints game will win the flag

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The winner of the Geelong v Saints game will win the flag
Oohh, that's a big call. A big call but a good call. I like it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa 5
Club Player

I would be very nervous coming up against the Swans in a PF. Our last 2 games have been very tight:

Round 1, 2010 Sydney defeated by St Kilda 88-96

Round 18, 2009 Sydney defeated by St Kilda 93-94

They seem to be able to work us out :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:I would be very nervous coming up against the Swans in a PF. Our last 2 games have been very tight:

You and me both Joffa, the Swans have an amazing ability to dictate the style of play. I rate them as the next most dangerous to the top three....

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:I would be very nervous coming up against the Swans in a PF. Our last 2 games have been very tight:

You and me both Joffa, the Swans have an amazing ability to dictate the style of play. I rate them as the next most dangerous to the top three....
BUT
If we play the Swans in the prelim, it will be OUR home game, so it will be in Vic not NSW.
Plus, I'm not certain, but aren't we entitled to play it at Etihad if it's an interstate side?
If we could, I would be even more confident.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintnick12 wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:Perfect outcome would be:
we beat geelong in qf
collingwood beat dogs in qf
sydney beats carlton in ef
sydney beats dogs in semi
geelong beat freo in semi
we beat sydney in prelim
collingwood beats geelong in prelim
and we SMASH collingwood in the gf
:lol:
im not getting carried away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like a plan. All hinges on beating Geelong in the QF though. We could still make it if we don't, but we are a real show if we win that one. And I really think it's a 50/50 show...neither team would be a strong favourite. The bookies will probably make the cats favourites, but are in this up to our necks.
Fremantle a shoo-in to beat Hawthorn then?

Even with 8 of their best back in, the scars will be pretty deep from last weekend.

Here's a sobering thought: loser of the QF to play off against Hawthorn, then Collingwood? That's a nightmare scenario.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
SainterK wrote:

BUT
If we play the Swans in the prelim, it will be OUR home game, so it will be in Vic not NSW.
Plus, I'm not certain, but aren't we entitled to play it at Etihad if it's an interstate side?
If we could, I would be even more confident.
There will be no finals at Etihad this year and I doubt there will ever be a prelim unless the G is unavailable.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

AlpineStars wrote:Bulldogs need a small Akermanis type forward :)
Bulldogs need a small miracle and a new President.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
What is wrong with their president?

S.A Saint
Club Player

sainter#4 wrote:for all the talk about not being comfortable with the cats or pies, do any of use believe that they are comfortable with us?

we have not once played 4 quaters of saints footy this year at any on point.
we strung a half against the cats and look what happened.

were just as big a chance as any of the other teams and ill back us in any game.
totally agree...

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:
He thinks passion alone is enough.

And he reckons Eade - whose only claim to fame was a Bears Reserves premiership 500 years ago and the 96 Grannie on the back of Plugger - is the answer.

2 X wrong.

imo.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:

And he reckons Eade - whose only claim to fame was a Bears Reserves premiership 500 years ago and the 96 Grannie on the back of Plugger - is the answer.

2 X wrong.

imo.
Eade did get a side into a GF and it wasnt on the back of plugger otherwise we would have about 4 at the moment. It is amazing how poor other presidents and coaches are compared to ours. There is more to being a president than just picking the right coach. WB have improved on and off the ground a fair bit since Smorgen took over. But who am I to say another president is doing a good job. As that weird poster says they need a new president.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:

2 X wrong.

imo.
+ he couldn't organise a s*** in a shoebox

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:

2 X wrong.

imo.
+ he couldn't organise a s*** in a shoebox
Stop using.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Beat the Cats week one...and...

saintsRrising wrote:And it is looking quite likely you would be playing Swans in the PF...or a weakened Dogs.

Doggies.. Cooney hammy, and maybe Morris out too.....plus Johnno (though that may be a positive for them).
i want to give dogs a 100 point drubbing in the pre-lim. then beat pies by a poit. i know i know. im getting ahead of myself.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:And it is looking quite likely you would be playing Swans in the PF...or a weakened Dogs.

Doggies.. Cooney hammy, and maybe Morris out too.....plus Johnno (though that may be a positive for them).
i want to give dogs a 100 point drubbing in the pre-lim. then beat pies by a poit. i know i know. im getting ahead of myself.
Same!

Pies are 4 points up with a minute and a half left on the clock. It's been close all day, with 10 lead changes and the lead never going beyond 2 goals.
Travis Cloke takes a mark directly infront, 30m out. The whole crowd is silent, the whole nation is watching on in fear of what could be the first Collingwood flag since 1990.
Cloke runs in and......Misses. 1 Minute left to play, Saints down by 5. BJ takes the kick in and hits up James Gwilt short in the pocket. Gwilt plays on, gets onto his left and goes long down the line to the wing. McEvoy edges out Jolly and takes a wondefull grab. Hands off to Ray running past, who gives it to Peake. Peake kicks into the corridor and hits up Lenny. Lenny is now heading towards the 50, about to release his 37th disposal for the day, he looks short and sees Roo- 2 on one, Instead he kicks long to Kosi in the goal square one out.....The crowd is once again silent as the ball is moving through the air, but Kosi is getting the better of Reid in the wrestle, and it falls into his lap. He begins to go back to his mark, the siren goes. He turns, faces his destiny, and kicks the match winning goal.
Saints by a point.
Kosi stands in disbelief, the Saints have won the flag. First to get to him is Roo, then Milne, before he knows it, he is at the centre of the biggest grandfinal celebration of all time.

But seriously guys.....Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :lol:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Same!

Pies are 4 points up with a minute and a half left on the clock. It's been close all day, with 10 lead changes and the lead never going beyond 2 goals.
Travis Cloke takes a mark directly infront, 30m out. The whole crowd is silent, the whole nation is watching on in fear of what could be the first Collingwood flag since 1990.
Cloke runs in and......Misses. 1 Minute left to play, Saints down by 5. BJ takes the kick in and hits up James Gwilt short in the pocket. Gwilt plays on, gets onto his left and goes long down the line to the wing. McEvoy edges out Jolly and takes a wondefull grab. Hands off to Ray running past, who gives it to Peake. Peake kicks into the corridor and hits up Lenny. Lenny is now heading towards the 50, about to release his 37th disposal for the day, he looks short and sees Roo- 2 on one, Instead he kicks long to Kosi in the goal square one out.....The crowd is once again silent as the ball is moving through the air, but Kosi is getting the better of Reid in the wrestle, and it falls into his lap. He begins to go back to his mark, the siren goes. He turns, faces his destiny, and kicks the match winning goal.
Saints by a point.
Kosi stands in disbelief, the Saints have won the flag. First to get to him is Roo, then Milne, before he knows it, he is at the centre of the biggest grandfinal celebration of all time.

I don't think it could possibly get any better.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Same!

Saints by a point.

Shivers down my spine at the thought

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
markp
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Same!

Saints by a point.

How many at the ground would that last minute literally kill?!

Not to mention those merely fainting and vomiting everywhere....

I'll stick with my 'up by 12 goals at 3 quarter time, and singing the song for the whole last quarter' fantasy, thank you very much! :wink:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Same!

Saints by a point.

How many at the ground would that last minute literally kill?!

I'll stick with my 'up by 12 goals at 3 quarter time, and singing the song for the whole last quarter' fantasy, thank you very much! :wink:
Sure, that would be better in the short term (like while you are watching), but in 5 years when you rewatch the match that changed everything, I think my described outcome would be the favoured option.

benengel14
Club Player

markp wrote: How many at the ground would that last minute literally kill?!

Good post. :D

starsign
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
lurker#134 wrote:Oh wow, I would take Sydney in a prelim.
that's what we all said in 2005 - we all know what happened then.
Hopefully we won't meet Fitzroy in the GF. Remember 1913.

That was when they came out after we slaughtered them in the semi and then they belted the living suitcase out of us and went onto win the GF with us left with about 12 blokes on the park ????

They were off-side but but what could we do!!!
Lot said for the order off rule in Grand Finals especially!!