Sandringham Vs Gold Coast -Sat 24th - Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

zebraman
Club Player

3/4 time

Gold Coast 13.13

Sandy 5.4

Just hoping for a decent last 1/4 to get some respectability on the scoreboard

Sandy actually played a lot better that quarter. Had 3 set shots for goal but could only manage points. Gold coast didn't get a goal until very late in the 1/4 and then got a couple of quick ones

zebraman
Club Player

Final score

Gold Coast 14.15

Sandy 11.7

Much better quarter but once again we were playing catch up

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thanx mate...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sandy are hopeless this season...

Is it their list...

Is Lovell a dud coach

Do the Saints have any real depth or do our recruiters have a good eye for a dud.....and then recruit him... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

My random thoughts on the game:

* so bizarre watching Sandy play in Queensland. I grew up watching them every week in the 70s and 80s (Saints Saturday, Zebs Sunday) and I used to think Geelong West was a long way to go...

* lost by a handful of goals after being nearly 8 goals down at half time (as someone mentioned the second quarter was abysmal). Last quarter included some very good passages of footy

* Saints players weren't very prominent. Stanley had a red hot dip and did some good things, Pattison's ruckwork was classy and he set up some good clearances, Lynch had a good second half but some of his decision making and disposal was questionable

* my first look at Tommy Walsh and he did a few good things without really making an impact. Big lad though...

* Eddy tried hard but no real impact. Looked exhausted every time he was rotated off...

* Sandy players such as Irving (great game) and Tregear overshadowed some of our guys such as Heyne and Cahill

* Brad Howard did a few good things

* If you didn't know the history and from watching the game had to pick which player had an AFL premiership to their name then Nathan Ablett would have been about 32nd player you'd list. Don't know if it was Gaertner playing well or whether he's just average

* Poor Smith will always be "The Dribbler" to me now. Not in a bad way, it's just there in my head...

* Lovell gave them a massive spray at half time (you could hear it from outside the change room) but was quite measured at 3/4 time. Not a bad speaker...

* Karmichael Hunt must be the worst person at his vocation on the planet if you analyse how much he's getting paid against his actual performance

* Quite a sizable crowd all decked out in their new red Suns merchandise

* The Suns theme song is unintentionally hilarious. They had girls on the ground after the game holding up boards with the lyrics presumably so people could sing along but everyone was just laughing. "We are the Suns of the Gold Coast sky..." Better than Freo's but not as good as Ports (which is saying something). Were we the first people to hear it in anger?

* I had a Saints jacket on and this knob in a Hawks shirt kept telling me that "we cheated last night". I couldn't be bothered arguing so I just laughed and thanked him for choking the two points.

* "Carn The Suns" when yelled loudly sounds EXACTLY like "Carn The Saints"

That is all. I wish we'd won but still a fun afternoon...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:My random thoughts on the game:

* so bizarre watching Sandy play in Queensland. I grew up watching them every week in the 70s and 80s (Saints Saturday, Zebs Sunday) and I used to think Geelong West was a long way to go...

* lost by a handful of goals after being nearly 8 goals down at half time (as someone mentioned the second quarter was abysmal). Last quarter included some very good passages of footy

* Saints players weren't very prominent. Stanley had a red hot dip and did some good things, Pattison's ruckwork was classy and he set up some good clearances, Lynch had a good second half but some of his decision making and disposal was questionable

* my first look at Tommy Walsh and he did a few good things without really making an impact. Big lad though...

* Eddy tried hard but no real impact. Looked exhausted every time he was rotated off...

* Sandy players such as Irving (great game) and Tregear overshadowed some of our guys such as Heyne and Cahill

* Brad Howard did a few good things

* If you didn't know the history and from watching the game had to pick which player had an AFL premiership to their name then Nathan Ablett would have been about 32nd player you'd list. Don't know if it was Gaertner playing well or whether he's just average

* Poor Smith will always be "The Dribbler" to me now. Not in a bad way, it's just there in my head...

* Lovell gave them a massive spray at half time (you could hear it from outside the change room) but was quite measured at 3/4 time. Not a bad speaker...

* Karmichael Hunt must be the worst person at his vocation on the planet if you analyse how much he's getting paid against his actual performance

* Quite a sizable crowd all decked out in their new red Suns merchandise

* The Suns theme song is unintentionally hilarious. They had girls on the ground after the game holding up boards with the lyrics presumably so people could sing along but everyone was just laughing. "We are the Suns of the Gold Coast sky..." Better than Freo's but not as good as Ports (which is saying something). Were we the first people to hear it in anger?

* I had a Saints jacket on and this knob in a Hawks shirt kept telling me that "we cheated last night". I couldn't be bothered arguing so I just laughed and thanked him for choking the two points.

* "Carn The Suns" when yelled loudly sounds EXACTLY like "Carn The Saints"

That is all. I wish we'd won but still a fun afternoon...
You're being kind re the comeback...Game was dead at half time and GC played like it thereafter.

How slick are some of the GC kids?!?!?! Swallow. Matera. Dixon. That ruckman Smith. Scarily good for kids.

Conversely I thought the Saints second stringers were bordering on depressingly awful. Heyne? Cahill? Pattison? Smith? Lynch? Aren't these guys meant to be killing themselves for a spot in a finals side?

Stanley came and went. Eddy came and went. Both looked like they were trying, but it was sporadic.

Fact is honest plodders like irving, Tregear and Sautner were easily best on. EASILY. And what good does that do us? What does it say?

And Sandy looked very much like a team with no plan beyond 'go out there, get the ball, try to kick it to someone up ahead.' There was little semblance to the discipline of their senior counterpart St K. Lovell should be the one copping a spray. If today was an indication of his abilities as a coach then, seriously, our second tier players have no hope of transitioning.

Disagree on Hunt. He's a project. His monetary value is irrelevant for now. He's playing in his fifth (?) game of near-elite AFL having not played since he was 15. He was given the best forward this week as he was last week when he got Mark Williams (Williams was beaten). In the first quarter when the game was being sorted out Hunt got as many touches as anyone and showed some real promise. And he hits like a bull.

Nathan Ablett - did he actually touch it? Now there's a guy hogging someone else's spot. Absolute spud.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
First game back from injury, give him a break.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
First game back from injury, give him a break.
Fair call. I'd forgotten. He really looked wasted at game end. That'd be why.

He's bigger than you think, Eddy...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Elvis
Club Player

agree with your comments on Karmichael Hunt Thinline.

What people down South will never really understand is his value in attracting people to the game, and planting seeds in the heads of kids and older types who may not have ever considered following (let alone playing) the game here in Queensland. Hunt has been a first class ambassador for Australian Football....and he as shown a heap of promise in the last few weeks. I was lucky enough to have him come to my school and I must say it.... he showed more enthusiasm and a genuine willingness to be in amongst the kids than any other AFL players that had come before him, including Tom Harley and a couple of (no longer with us) Saints that visited last year. Spent nearly four hours with our students who are still pumped about his visit, which, by the way, happened only two days after he arrived back in the country from France.

For me, Karmichael will be one of those players I follow and support closely unless he is lining up against the Red White and Black. Insular southern parochialism and a willingness to bag Hunt absolutely irritates me to death, mainly because it is entirely reminscent of the way any people support rugby league up here... with a blinkered attitude and a redneck dismissive approach to every other sport.

Get off his case folks, in the long term it will be an absolute positive thing for football, and indirectly the St.Kilda Football Club if the Karmichael Hunt experiment succeeds. More kids playing football here, more following footy... hey, we might even get live radio coverage on Sundays one day!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Elvis wrote:agree with your comments on Karmichael Hunt Thinline.

What people down South will never really understand is his value in attracting people to the game, and planting seeds in the heads of kids and older types who may not have ever considered following (let alone playing) the game here in Queensland. Hunt has been a first class ambassador for Australian Football....and he as shown a heap of promise in the last few weeks. I was lucky enough to have him come to my school and I must say it.... he showed more enthusiasm and a genuine willingness to be in amongst the kids than any other AFL players that had come before him, including Tom Harley and a couple of (no longer with us) Saints that visited last year. Spent nearly four hours with our students who are still pumped about his visit, which, by the way, happened only two days after he arrived back in the country from France.

For me, Karmichael will be one of those players I follow and support closely unless he is lining up against the Red White and Black. Insular southern parochialism and a willingness to bag Hunt absolutely irritates me to death, mainly because it is entirely reminscent of the way any people support rugby league up here... with a blinkered attitude and a redneck dismissive approach to every other sport.

Get off his case folks, in the long term it will be an absolute positive thing for football, and indirectly the St.Kilda Football Club if the Karmichael Hunt experiment succeeds. More kids playing football here, more following footy... hey, we might even get live radio coverage on Sundays one day!
The fact that he's by no means the worst out there amazes me.

Coomera State School, yeah?

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Re Hunt - I got there at quarter time so fair enough if he had a good start, but I was interested to see how he went so looked out for him for the rest of the game and saw little to suggest that he'll cut it at the top level. Agree he hits hard but often looked totally lost. If that's parochialism so be it, but it irks me that he's getting more money than our elite players...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Re Hunt - I got there at quarter time so fair enough if he had a good start, but I was interested to see how he went so looked out for him for the rest of the game and saw little to suggest that he'll cut it at the top level. Agree he hits hard but often looked totally lost. If that's parochialism so be it, but it irks me that he's getting more money than our elite players...
Why let it irk you?

He's a professional athlete who's (apparently) giving something pretty extraordinary a red hot crack.

Good luck to the guy.

I hope it inspires a torrent of left field talent.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Elvis wrote:agree with your comments on Karmichael Hunt Thinline.

Great post.
I know I tried my best to promote the game in QLD as a student and as a teacher and it was bloody tough. Trying to fill school teams was a nightmare. As a young fella I copped all sorts of crap from the folk in QLD. Am very happy to see the change over the years but still there are a lot of the "blinkered attitude and redneck dismissive approach" people around. Particularly outside the SE corner of QLD. I often have to defend the code to doubters. Karmichael is making some of these people take notice which is great. Whilst a football player, he is also getting paid substantially for his services as a marketer.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saw this online. Not much about our boys, but those not there may find it interesting. Or not.

Round 14 Match Report

Gold Coast SUNS v Sandringham Zebras

Saturday, 24 July, 2010

Cooke-Murphy Reserve
Labrador

Two in a row for red hot Suns

Gold Coast SUNS has notched back-to-back wins for the first time this year with a comprehensive 26-point demolition of Sandringham Zebras at Cooke-Murphy Reserve, Labrador this afternoon.

Brandon Matera was outstanding for the SUNS, and kicked four classy goals. Sam Iles, David Swallow, Zac Smith and Danny Stanley were standouts in a very even team performance. League-convert Karmichael Hunt played easily his best game for the club so far.

For the first time ever the SUNS ran out to its new club song today, but if its early 80s-like kick-it-long strategy was anything to go by the home side looked a little more inspired by the Lionel Richie and Leo Sayer hits pounding out through the grandstand PA system pre-game.

But in a display of the SUNS’ growing maturity, it switched tack soon enough to take the game on with some exhilarating run and carry.

In-form forward Charlie Dixon drew first blood for the locals when he marked a speculative Sam Iles tumbler and converted from point blank range.

Sandringham veteran Nick Sautner answered quickly for his side’s first, but Gold Coast’s speed out of half back, hard-nosed contested work and a helpful breeze was proving too much for the visitors and soon enough cracks started to appear in the Zebra's defence. Alik Magin scored from a fifty-metre penalty at the twenty-minute mark and the up-and-about Matera added two more before quarter time to give the SUNS an encouraging four-goal break at the change.

The second quarter started perfectly for Gold Coast with Matera taking a clever mark and kicking beautifully into a tricky wind to push the lead out further.

Dixon had the chance to ice another almost immediately after a pulsating end-to-end passage that deserved a better finale than his poorly struck grubber.

Saints regular Robert Eddy landed a long bomb on the wind to nail Sandringham’s second of the day, but it was a rare foray forward for the Zebras who were looking more and more rattled by their younger, slicker opponent as the quarter progressed.

When improving ruckman Tom Nicholls snagged his first VFL goal, Luke Russell scored with a ripper of a snap from the pocket, David Swallow muscled one through and Matera banged through his fourth all in quick succession, the SUNS had skipped out to a formidable forty-eight point lead, one built on devil-may-care attack and ruthless tackling by hard nuts Daniel Harris, Maverick Weller and Luke Russell.

Jake Crawford, impressive in his first game this year, slotted a terrific goal from out wide to underline a fantastic term for the home side and with the SUNS up by a whopping 55 points at the main change, the game was pretty much over.

Sandringham started the second half with significantly more purpose, but despite the lift in effort it wasn’t until the ten minute mark before it added to its goal tally, again through Sautner. He had another chance moments later to give his side some hope of a recovery but missed a straightforward set shot he simply had to kick if his side was to rally.

And on a day like today, the SUNS were good enough to make the Zebras pay dearly.

Sam Iles slotted a great running effort to consolidate the home side’s lead before Mathew Fowler added two in quick succession to give the SUNS the best part of ten goal buffer at the final change.

The final quarter was all about pride for Sandringham and it started well with goals to Sautner and St Kilda-listed Paul Cahill. But Dixon’s second goal at the fourteen-minute mark eliminated whatever small window of hope the visitors may have had. Sandringham ran the game out well to claw back to within five goals but this was a match won and lost in the first half, one in which the locals were simply far too good.

Gold Coast SUNS 4.6 (30) 10.10 (70) 13.13 (91) 14.15 (99)
Sandringham 1.0 (6) 4.1 (25) 5.4 (34) 11.7 (73)

Best: Iles, Swallow, Stanley, Matera, Smith, Hunt.
Goals: Matera 4, Fowler 2, Dixon 2, Magin, Nicholls, Russell, Swallow, Crawford, Iles

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

another article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... 10q6h.html
The Gold Coast Suns may yet have the last laugh for recruiting code-hopper Karmichael Hunt following a glowing report card from St Kilda's AFL assistant coach Andy Lovell.

Lovell, who coaches the Saints' VFL affiliate side Sandringham and played 164 matches for Melbourne and West Coast, watched Hunt in action during the Zebras' 26 point loss to the Suns on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Lovell said he had studied footage of Hunt's previous matches and was not expecting such a strong and impressive performance.

"His ability to win one-on-one footy in the back-half was really strong and when he got it he made some really good decisions with the ball," Lovell told AAP.

"He is powerful. That's the thing - he is so strong and powerful

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
spert
Saintsational Legend

The Saints depth is poor and it's hard to disguise it at Sandy.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx
[quote]The last quarter Sandy finally clicked into gear but it was to little to late, Sandy outscored the Suns 6.3 to 1.2. Gallagher and Lynch were the chief destroyers with 10 possessions each while Sautner, Howard, Tregear, Pattison and Cahill kicked the goals.

Andy Lovell was frustrated after the game saying; “it took until three quarter time and then they were embarrassed and kicked into gearâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107