Plugger hurt in motorbike crash

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:I wasn't really old enough to see Plugger, but my question is, why isint Plugger ever mentioned in the Best player ever category? was he better then Ablett etc?
Surely you're old enough to have learnt that nothing good has ever come out of St Kilda!?!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think he was better than ablett...best full forward of all time i believe....the only other player we have had in recent years who could/can regularly change the course of the game is roo......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Hard to compare players, but was more consistant than Ablett, both big kicks. Ablett could've played in many positions, and in fact did play in a few, wheres Plugger was a full forward only. In saying that the era Plugger played in was mainly one position players.

I maybe biased but Plugger for me, just.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger was the best i've seen or am ever likely to see, without a doubt.

what set him apart from other greats of the game such as riewoldt, for example, was that when he got the ball you could just about pencil it in as a goal ... particularly when the match was in the balance.

just an awesome and out and out champion.

was brilliant on the lead with vice-like hands and no-one was a better contested mark. lockett's strength and knowledge of how to use his body were second to none.

in the current team and under the current rules, playing indoors and under cover, i'd back him to kick 180 for the season ... barring injury and suspension.

that's at his peak, though.

leigh matthews often is mentioned as the greatest to have played the game. lockett was a 6 foot 5 version of matthews.

rexy
SS Life Member

One of my heroes as a kid and I would be surprised if many adolescent Saints from the 80s would not have been the same, I would hope that the club would extend its moral support in the form of best wishes and the offer of any kind of help it could give(financial would not be needed from all accounts).

Dont presume for a second that he would want any help from us but I beleive it would be the right thing to do. A big part of the saints history.

Maybe this year?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To all those TOOLS who are bagging plugger, you are either clueless, or never saw him play.

He was one of the best players I've seen play footy in my 30 years of going to the footy.

End of Story.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Plugger was awesome. At the time, he was my ultimate idol.

He was a huge inspiration when l was playing footy as l tried to, unsuccessfully, emulate his playing style. I even managed to wear his number (14 at that time) in a team that wore Saints colours

meeting him was like a divine experience, l was awestruck and stumbling on my words when he shook my hand as he tried to engage me in small talk, after l was introduced to him.

His image covered my bedroom wall & school folder, until...

....he became a traitor.

First time we played the Swans at Waverly, he was the enemy. I booed and hissed whenever he went near the ball. When the Swans played North in the 96 GF, I barracked hard for North as I didn't think a turncoat deserved a Premiership

Hope he gets well soon, but St kilda owe him nothing

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Time hasn't been kind to pluggers reputation in stacking up against the games greats for some unknown reason.

Quite simply,he was the greatest footballer to ever grace the planet. Problem for him was he was drafted to us...unbelievable for us fans to experience,but not the best club for plugger to grow into. A rabble on and off the field. We kept the media away from him as a kid,and from the get go he treated the media as enemy number one,and the club encouraged this. He was bigger than the club itself,that was our/his problem

Imagine what he would of done in the 80's and early 90's if he ended up at Hawthorn or Geelong...I have no doubt in my mind he would of kicked 200+ goals for the year if he played for either of those sides in 89 and was able to stay on the ground.

He had an unbelievable aura and presence about him...he was just something out of the box,and something I doubt we'll ever see again. At the end of his career,he probably got the absolute minimum out of his talents,and that was to be the greatest goal kicker of all time.

Any comparisons to Roo...I don't want to disrespect our great captain,but it would be like comparing Roo to Kosi.

If he didnt leave us,there would probably be a 50 foot statue of him erected at Linton st now,and his face would be printed on our guernsey's.

Get well fatman

Bring back the Lockett era
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Very different game nowadays, great kick Plugger but actually comparing him to Roo is like comparing Roo to Baldock, can't and shouldn't be done. How many B&F's did he win (Lockett)? Not many if memory serves.

Barks is my man anyway - RIP.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
SuperSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:To all those TOOLS who are bagging plugger, you are either clueless, or never saw him play.

He was one of the best players I've seen play footy in my 30 years of going to the footy.

End of Story.
Absolutely correct. Anyone who did not have the privilege to watch this guy in his prime should not be commenting here. They missed out on one of the most gifted, unstoppable freaks of the game . To cap it off, he was an excellent kick at goal from outside 50 metres, often putting them through post high (and there was no windless stadiums with a roof back then).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:Very different game nowadays, great kick Plugger but actually comparing him to Roo is like comparing Roo to Baldock, can't and shouldn't be done. How many B&F's did he win (Lockett)? Not many if memory serves.
How many matches did he win us off his own boot? Too many to recall.

Also, Lockett, Baldock and Riewoldt would have been champions in any era and, with due respect to two absolute legends, Lockett had them covered for ability.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:

Any comparisons to Roo...I don't want to disrespect our great captain,but it would be like comparing Roo to Kosi.

i disagree.....we have had four match winners in my 50 plus years of supporting the saints.....players who regularly could turn a game....and win it off their own boot....

...doc, big carl, plugger and roo.......i am not comparing them....didn't in my post earlier in this thread either....i'm just stating what i believe to be the truth....and a truth proven on the facts.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:Very different game nowadays, great kick Plugger but actually comparing him to Roo is like comparing Roo to Baldock, can't and shouldn't be done. How many B&F's did he win (Lockett)? Not many if memory serves.

Barks is my man anyway - RIP.

won a brownlow....no small effort for a full forward....

anyway.....

saints supporters are privileged...we have been lucky to have watched, loved and been able to claim ,as our very own the cream of the cream....

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Yep, the best by far for mine.
Awesome, scary, hard, magnificent kick.
I remember one of the players telling me that he was so good, all you had to do is kick it vaguely in his direction and he would make you look better by getting it every time, even if the pass wasn't great.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Yep, the best by far for mine.
Awesome, scary, hard, magnificent kick.
I remember one of the players telling me that he was so good, all you had to do is kick it vaguely in his direction and he would make you look better by getting it every time, even if the pass wasn't great.
Nicely said

Only his chronic asthma stopped him kicking 150-180 goals in a year and being the first, last and only player to kick 20 goals in a game

The perfect player for the era. Couldnt get past draft camp now with beep tests and agility ratings. To be honest I think he'd have no interest in playing footy 2010-style

Going to Moorabbin and Waverly to watch him and Banger in their absolute prime. History now tells us what a total and utter privilidge that was.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Couldnt get past draft camp now with beep tests and agility ratings. To be honest I think he'd have no interest in playing footy 2010-style.
he'd be a champion in any era.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:Couldnt get past draft camp now with beep tests and agility ratings. To be honest I think he'd have no interest in playing footy 2010-style.
he'd be a champion in any era.
yep.....and i still love the guy....in a manly way.......he gave me enormous pleasure watching him play and monstering the opposition.....