Drawing them back- former saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmarvellous
Club Player

i KNOW Nicky Winmar IS a Saint. Has told me himself and doesn't come close to recognising the Dogs. And what about G-Train? AA for West Coast but thru and thru Sainter. Pretty sure Spider considers himself a Saint, despite what some of you think of him. On the flip side, pretty sure Plugger aligns himself with the swans thses days

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think former Saints who stayed with the club for their careers are the ones who need real recognition. Although players like Ian Stewart played in a premiership with us and then went off to Richmond, might be an exception to that rule.
I don't really care one way or the other about the players who got offered big dollars and left, if they want to say they are still Sainters first, then that's fine by me.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Does anyone regard Mick Malthouse as a Saint?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Funny how people deride him on here, but Kenny Sheldon now considers himself a Saint, despite playing 132 games for Carlton and three premierships.

Not related, but I remember reading a story about Wayne Harmes and how he continued to barrack for Richmond before, during and after his career at Carlton. Never considered himself a Carlton person.

Surely Sir Robert is still a Saint underneath all that Blue. Same for Max with the magpie crap currently on his shoulders!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:One of the most disappointing things I ever read was that Hamill considered himself a blue. Still can't believe it.
really ,????????????

how awful.

are you sure?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Funny how people deride him on here, but Kenny Sheldon now considers himself a Saint, despite playing 132 games for Carlton and three premierships.
Who know what really triggers a sense of belonging or loyalty to one club or another. I remember Adam Schnieder telling the story of receiving a call whilst on holidays telling him he was going to be at the Saints the next season - something like that could undo any feelings towards a club, I'm sure. It could also be your ties to the playing group...a young guy growing up in a team, etc, etc.

I'm not sure of the history of Ken's departure from the Blues, whether good or bad, but he came to St Kilda a valuable player during a revival period, played along side of great Saints, and stuck with the club as a coach and an official for many years...he's got considerable ties to the club. Who knows, he might have felt like a passenger at the Blues?

bozza1980
Club Player

Q5 wrote:Shane Wakelin was recently asked whilst commentating on SEN whether he considered himself a pie or saint - maggie... :evil:
I can definitely understand that.

I think if you probe deeper though he's a maggie with a soft spot for the saints.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bozza1980
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Does anyone regard Mick Malthouse as a Saint?
Before my time but I doubt even he does.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Funny how people deride him on here, but Kenny Sheldon now considers himself a Saint, despite playing 132 games for Carlton and three premierships.

Not related, but I remember reading a story about Wayne Harmes and how he continued to barrack for Richmond before, during and after his career at Carlton. Never considered himself a Carlton person.

Surely Sir Robert is still a Saint underneath all that Blue. Same for Max with the magpie crap currently on his shoulders!
it is how the ' emotional' attachment is acheived that possibly displays in the ' long term' feeling of being one with others.

like Harmes- I could see Fev being more of a Saints fan - ex cheersquad- than being a Lion.

was another thread some time ago about players that will go back to ' the club they supported as Kids' rather than even the club they played for.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Who know what really triggers a sense of belonging or loyalty to one club or another. I remember Adam Schnieder telling the story of receiving a call whilst on holidays telling him he was going to be at the Saints the next season - something like that could undo any feelings towards a club, I'm sure. It could also be your ties to the playing group...a young guy growing up in a team, etc, etc.

I'm not sure of the history of Ken's departure from the Blues, whether good or bad, but he came to St Kilda a valuable player during a revival period, played along side of great Saints, and stuck with the club as a coach and an official for many years...he's got considerable ties to the club. Who knows, he might have felt like a passenger at the Blues?
I think the coaching side of it, particularly if it's for any length of time, would have a fairly large bearing on it as you would be so much more involved in the club than you would at the player level.

Having said that, I'm not sure Timmy would regard himself as any sort of Saint!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Having said that, I'm not sure Timmy would regard himself as any sort of Saint!
Blighty?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Having said that, I'm not sure Timmy would regard himself as any sort of Saint!
Blighty?
Well the title of this thread may refer to his golf swing :D

PLUGGER14
Club Player

That was the case but talking to him a few months ago he is definately back on the Blues now.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Matthew Lappin should stay a Blue. Cost us the 97 GF by refusing to be accountable on McLeod, then buggered off...
Lappo was actually one of our best players during the 98 finals then got traded (for the pick that ended up being James Begley from memory).

I think he was quite disappointed to get traded as he was very close to Aussie, Browny & Joel (who had buggered off the previous year).

He was only a 3rd year player during 97 so if he was played on McLeod that says more about Alves than anything (not the only match up that was stuffed up that day!).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My memory of what Hammill said was not so black and white. He said he probably should have stayed a Blue and not let the emotion get the better of him. Would have liked to be a one club player. More a case of a guy in business looking to spread the love around so he doesn't burn any bridges. Certainly not clearly saying he was a blue only. He seems to have been hung out to dry a bit on that comment.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I consider Mick Malthouse a disease.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert McAdam played 50 odd games for us and Brisbane, but considers the Saints as his team.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

borderbarry wrote:Gilbert McAdam played 50 odd games for us and Brisbane, but considers the Saints as his team.
According to Gilly, we play Brisbane for the Gilbert McAdam Cup. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.