Recruiting not so bad now??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
BigMart wrote:Brooks is excellent
M.Clarke is excellent
McGough is excellent
Rix is excellent
Watts is excellent
Lovett is excellent
Ackland is excellent
Pattison is exellent

Point is....
Rix took a good mark for Subiaco yesterday.
Patto had a reasonable game today....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:most criticism is that our under 23's are sub par. probably still holds.
dunno if ive read anyone baggin ray? the guy is awesome. still young. totally under-rated. you are right. but dont reackon hes been bagged at all. i sure as hell reckon hes an awesome player and still improving.

i still would not want to be saints coach in 5 years. but who gives a flog. we are the premiership zone right now.
I totally disagree. What's your definition of sub-par? Compared to young players at other clubs or compared to young kids that were drafted at similar stages of the draft?

We have a group of very good kids that are developing nicely (even if that may be at Sandy).

Just because they are not demanding a spot yet doesn't mean they won't be very very good senior players by the time that Roo & co are entering their twilight years.

We may dip a bit but we won't be a basketcase (which may not be a great thing if we need to get to the best young talent circa 2015).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

People are concerned that we will bottom out after this current challenge, and that we will bottom out within 5 years. However our next core group of potential leaders (some like Mini and Gilbert already) are between the age of 23-25 aren't so bad.

Goddard 25
Raph 25
Mini 24
Farren 24
Gilbert 23
Gwilt 23

Couple that together with kids (22 and under) like Geary, Eddy, Armo, McEvoy, Stanley, Steven, Heyne all able to hold their own in the seniors this year, with plenty of other guys hovering for a debut, the future is not too bad IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

B: GAERTNER -- JOHNSON -- *****

HB: SIMPKIN -- WALSH -- GEARY

C: WINMAR -- ARMITAGE -- A.SMITH

HF: HEYNE -- LYNCH -- EDDY

F: STANLEY -- CAHILL -- *****

FOLL: McEVOY -- HUTCHINGS -- STEVEN

INT: McGRATH -- ARCHER

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:People are concerned that we will bottom out after this current challenge, and that we will bottom out within 5 years. However our next core group of potential leaders (some like Mini and Gilbert already) are between the age of 23-25 aren't so bad.

Goddard 25
Raph 25
Mini 24
Farren 24
Gilbert 23
Gwilt 23

Couple that together with kids (22 and under) like Geary, Eddy, Armo, McEvoy, Stanley, Steven, Heyne all able to hold their own in the seniors this year, with plenty of other guys hovering for a debut, the future is not too bad IMO.
We're going to need a better 'top 6' than that to be a finals team.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

2 picks from 2009 most likely never going to boot up for us...

That isnt good drafting....

in HINDSIGHT.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Recruiting not so bad now??

saintsRrising wrote:
TIP: Next time the Saints play...take the time to actually watch Ray...watch what he does and how hard he runs and presents...

He is undervalued and under-recognised for his work.
Ray's an interesting one. I agree he has to be watched to be appreciated.

However, on review of the stats the next day, had really let himself down giving away free kicks. Turned what could have been an excellent game from him into a decent one. He's done the same in the past through lazy disposal.

His overhead work is so valuable in transition (they may be uncontested marks, but I've no doubt most players wouldn't take them), and in retaining control of the ball. He's quick, 2 sided and a pretty good user. Much harder at the contest than I'd ever have expected when we acquired him.

He's won me over with all the hard stuff, just needs to have a bit more care and he's knocking on the door of stardom.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:People are concerned that we will bottom out after this current challenge, and that we will bottom out within 5 years. However our next core group of potential leaders (some like Mini and Gilbert already) are between the age of 23-25 aren't so bad.

Goddard 25
Raph 25
Mini 24
Farren 24
Gilbert 23
Gwilt 23

We're going to need a better 'top 6' than that to be a finals team.
Top 6, you're not going to bring that up again are you? :wink:

I never said they are going to be the 'top 6' though, more that they are a good crop of potential leaders in a few years...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
TIP: Next time the Saints play...take the time to actually watch Ray...watch what he does and how hard he runs and presents...

However, on review of the stats the next day, had really let himself down giving away free kicks. Turned what could have been an excellent game from him into a decent one. He's done the same in the past through lazy disposal.

His overhead work is so valuable in transition (they may be uncontested marks, but I've no doubt most players wouldn't take them), and in retaining control of the ball. He's quick, 2 sided and a pretty good user. Much harder at the contest than I'd ever have expected when we acquired him.

He's won me over with all the hard stuff, just needs to have a bit more care and he's knocking on the door of stardom.
I watched the replay last night, and at least two or three of those free's seemed to be when he attempted to tackle Selwood, I could both see and appreciate Farren's frustration....

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I watched the replay last night, and at least two or three of those free's seemed to be when he attempted to tackle Selwood, I could both see and appreciate Farren's frustration....
agree, must be the most fustrating player to tackle because he ducks his head, no secret there..... they just never call it..... it's also clever that he ducks his head and doesn't try to break the tackle thus more reason to pay the over the shoulder free....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith