could we win the flag without riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The no Rooey crap is a farce, we won't coming out of the blocks fast this year and have started ordinarily. We are winding up each game. Riewoldt would be awesome but we could still go all the way without him.
Don't think we could cover for Lenny going down though.

The media have used our slow start to push the no rooey no saint crap. You don't win 20 h&a games and rely on one player.

I know this forum is not for optimists but I am really confident we will be cruising in september.

markp
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The no Rooey crap is a farce, we won't coming out of the blocks fast this year and have started ordinarily. We are winding up each game. Riewoldt would be awesome but we could still go all the way without him.

The media have used our slow start to push the no rooey no saint crap. You don't win 20 h&a games and rely on one player.

I know this forum is not for optimists but I am really confident we will be cruising in september.
I agree with much of this, and I think we will be (intentionally) hitting our straps when Roo returns... but they'll say it's all because of Roo.

Legendary
Club Player

gringo wrote:The no Rooey crap is a farce, we won't coming out of the blocks fast this year and have started ordinarily. We are winding up each game. Riewoldt would be awesome but we could still go all the way without him.

Very good point.

After 22-3 last year, we were always going to start this year slowly, particularly with some off-season surgery to different players and the late start to pre-season.

I think because of Riewoldt's injury, we've forgotten that a lot of our other players won't be hitting their straps until the middle of the year either.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you.

Beekay
SS Life Member

You guys on this second page must be taking the piss.. SURELY ? :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep, of course.

Don't really like the scenario of Saints winning their second flag, and Nick Riewoldt not involved though.

Beekay
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Yep, of course.

Don't really like the scenario of Saints winning their second flag, and Nick Riewoldt not involved though.
As much as I love Nick, I'm sure we'd get over it pretty fast!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:

Yeah, but would he? :shock:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Beekay wrote:

My namesake, Big Carl, did.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i actually think we could still win it without him, but not without a dangerous key forward.

if he were not to come back, i'd have goddard to ff in an instant. how we'd cover him around the ground, god only knows, but we'd need to find a way.

perhaps raph could produce a miracle in the midfield :wink:
I agree with the concept - but not with Goddard at FF. I believe we are capable of winning the flag without him, but our lower tier players need to step up. At the moment our best players are playing at their capabilities, which is helping us.

To win it, Raph has to keep playing like he is, and endeavour to eradicate or minimise the turnovers, Geary has to go to another level, mini has to go to another level, Peake, Armo when he gets another chance even McEvoy. Stanley has to start pulling down about 6-7 marks a game, of which 2-3 need to be contested. It doesn't seem likely, but it can happen. I will always be hopeful. To be honest even with Rooey, some of these blokes need to lift a cog or two. WE need a break-out game for a few of these boys. Nothing more exciting for supporters, and gives the team a huge lift when a young bloke starts to hit his straps.

Beekay
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Beekay wrote:

He'd be very very ecstatic for the group. More happy than sad, no doubt. He's a true leader. All this guy needs is one flag to his name and he'll go down as the best Saint of all time.

I'm sure the fans would demand Raph gave his medal to Riewoldt anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Most people on here I would think would have Rooy in the top 3 in the AFL. Can you honestly look yourself in the mirror and say we will win at 3 finals without the top 3 player in the AFL. Either you think we are at least 5 goals better than any other side which we havent shown yet this year or Rooy is overated. I cant have either to be honest.

To win 3 finals we need Rooy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Beekay wrote:

He'd be very very ecstatic for the group. More happy than sad, no doubt. He's a true leader. All this guy needs is one flag to his name and he'll go down as the best Saint of all time.

I'm sure the fans would demand Raph gave his medal to Riewoldt anyway.
Sure, I know he would handle it all well, it's just not a scenario I imagined at the start of the season. It was Ross and Roo holding the cup up see :wink:

Beekay
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Sure, I know he would handle it all well, it's just not a scenario I imagined at the start of the season. It was Ross and Roo holding the cup up see :wink:
I imagined David Misson and Jesse Smith.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Most people on here I would think would have Rooy in the top 3 in the AFL. Can you honestly look yourself in the mirror and say we will win at 3 finals without the top 3 player in the AFL. Either you think we are at least 5 goals better than any other side which we havent shown yet this year or Rooy is overated. I cant have either to be honest.

To win 3 finals we need Rooy.
In your opinion.

Could Geelong win without Scarlett, could Dogs win it without Brad Johnson?

Surely we have teams covered in the incentive of the loss last year department?

We have beaten most of the contenders without him, and finals footy is pretty similar to Saints footy.

It's not impossible.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
SainterK wrote:
I imagined David Misson and Jesse Smith.
:)

JABBER
Club Player

could we win the flag without

A Big yes Roo had a quiet game in last years grand final.look what happened to us in 1997 when Modra got injured in the prelim.But i think roo will be back a long time before then and we will win the flag

trevor barker
Beej
Saintsational Legend

It feels like we're adapting better and better without Roo week by week.

Let's see against Fremantle and Geelong, that will give us a better idea if we could.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

One player rarely wins you a final. Ross Lyon has given the playing group a real asset in that when they have their off days they can contribute through a system that they all know and follow.

In the past we seemed to get to the finals and when it counted our fortitude collapsed when under pressure. With a systematic approach you take out some of the variables in footy. I see us as very well placed to go all the way now. Teams like the Bullys, Collingwood and Carlton don't have the experience of playing a grand final and puts them under more mental pressure.

Our game plan holds up in finals when we gain our share from the midfield, this year when we are second to the ball we tend to loose. Thats why I see Lenny as our real key player, his manic attack of the football carries us more than Riewoldt's freakish brilliance.

Still it is up to the players on the field and no one is going to do it for them , if they are hungry enough it's there for the taking.

SaintTom
Club Player

markp wrote:Nope.

Same goes for BJ and Lenny.
This is what I'm more worried about that Riewoldt. I think Lenny is more important to our set up that Roo is. One more injury, even a minor one late in the season, to any of those three guys, and we're going to find it very tough.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Need to finish top two.

In a perfect world.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i actually think we could still win it without him, but not without a dangerous key forward.
I agree with the concept - but not with Goddard at FF.
so which mythical dangerous key forward did you have in mind?

tommy walsh? he'll be a very, very good player, but he's not quite there yet.

gilbert? looks like a young G-Train to me and could fit the bill, but i doubt ross would spare him from defence, where he is very important.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 10 Jun 2010 10:11pm, edited 3 times in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:
so which mystical dangerous key forward did you have in mind? tommy walsh?

Kosi

:P

:lol:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:
so which mystical dangerous key forward did you have in mind? tommy walsh?
Kosi
That's what he's there for. We'd be a 5 goal better side with Roo there, yes, but also with Kosi firing.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:It feels like we're adapting better and better without Roo week by week.

Let's see against Fremantle and Geelong, that will give us a better idea if we could.
I agree we are getting better by the week.

Unfortunately, I think the Freo and Cats games are too soon for our adaption...I'm not confident of a win with either at the moment, but I'm confident we know how to go about it. There would need to be some significant improvement, but that's not to say it can't happen, as we know we have the team to beat both, they just need to click.