The Kosi Signs...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wasaintsfan
Club Player

round 14 2005. 13 kicks 6 handballs 11 marks 3 goals 1 behind 1 tackle 11 hitouts

brownlow votes 2

round 15 2005. 16 kicks 7 handballs 11 marks 4 goals 2 behinds 3 tackles 13 hitouts

brownlow votes 3

round 16 2005. 9 kicks 7 handballs 9 marks 5 goals 1 behind 2 tackles 2 hitouts

3 brownlow votes

round 17 2005. 14 kicks 4 hand balls 10 marks 5 goals 2 behinds 4 tackles 14 hitouts

3 brownlow votes

then riewoldt comes back..... alrdy with gehrig and hamill in the team
the guy needs some support..... because he still has this in him just needs to feel some love

GO KOSI

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ordinary is not a word I would personally have used for his game, I guess if some of us are easily pleased, some of us are just hard to please.

Glad his milestone was a win, glad he kicked a couple, glad he played a good team game.

PS - I thought this thread was about some of the nice Kosi signs in the cheersquad. :wink:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Half to do with his form - Half to do with atrocious kicking into the fwd line

Lenny Hayes - WTF
His kicking efficiency would have been very low...he could not hit a target.
Agreed

Another opportunity awaits!
RoseInOz
Club Player

Let's not forget that with Reiwoldt out Kosi has become the tagged forward often wearing one of the better defenders. Something I feel a lot of people have overlooked.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:Let's not forget that with Reiwoldt out Kosi has become the tagged forward often wearing one of the better defenders. Something I feel a lot of people have overlooked.

Thatd be those twits still comparinf him to Riewoldt....

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Sainterone wrote:I agree.
He looked much better tonight.

Small steps but a definite improvement.
i thought he was better. not hugely better. but one goal he kicked was from a good mark, and that was better then last week.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gabba wrote:Had two less possessions than MG and kicked two more goals... Missed a sitter but would've had 3...
Kicked 4 goals less than the other FF but I dont understand the MG discussion.
you bought MG up.

groupie1
Club Player

He seems to be used differently now - blocking off tall defenders to allow a team mate to mark. Does it really well.

For about a month there he was leading, making position and get himself right to take a mark, letting them all slip. Only thing he needed to do was take those marks and he'd have kicked 5-6 a game.

One issue with Kozi is that small technical skill of holding onto marks - only thing preventing him being a very damaging and effective forward. I think we persist with him.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

I don't know - I think there have been positive signs, but also there is still so much room for improvement. A number of times I noticed him working really hard pushing up the ground and then tearing back to the forward line to be a target too.

On Friday night I noticed one point in particular where Kosi seemed miffed - he'd just taken the mark over the top of Deledio (think it was Deledio?), slotted the goal and was pulled off the ground straight away. Looked peeved that he was being dragged and just wanted to play some footy.

My thought at the time was I would be leaving him there to see if we could run him into some form, but then I saw him in the ruck so I assume it was something to do with ruck rotations...

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

He just needs to hold/complete more marks (he seems to drop too many - % wise) - maybe Blake, Milne (yes Milne for some shame factor) and Ray should take him through some basic marking drills.

Some of it is timing .. but it could also be his grip or lack thereof -
so some gym work to strengthen the shoulders and upper arms and squeezing a rubber ball for a couple of hours each day so that he can get more of a vice like grip on the ball... it may all help ??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:He just needs to hold/complete more marks (he seems to drop too many - % wise) - maybe Blake, Milne (yes Milne for some shame factor) and Ray should take him through some basic marking drills.?
i saw milney take an overhead mark on friday night. most unusual. mostly he takes them on the chest.

as for kosi, i think he just needs to watch the ball. he spills too many sitters for this not to be a factor.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Kosi Signs...

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Anyone else think he looked allright further upfield tonight?
agree completely. he really gives us something around the ground as a follower and is poor as a stay at home forward without riewoldt drawing the two best defenders.
Meh. If that were an average game for Kosi, we'd live the feast and famine that goes with Full Forwards. Unfortunately, it isn't. I want to believe they were good signs, but it's not like he was playing on a great fullback.

That's one of Kosi's best of the year, probably only behind Essendon, and that's an indictment. If it weren't for past patches of form, we'd be assuming he just can't get the job done. If it weren't for lack of other viable options, he'd be getting dropped regardless.

Tactically, I like him farther up the ground as a link up man, something we've pretty clearly lacked without Reiwoldt. He can still go deep to provide a marking option (unless we want to play the risky game of Milne as permanent FF), and can get out on a lead.

The thing that gives me hope with Kosi is that his biggest problem has been marking the ball. Just holding it in 2 hands. Until 2010, if you rated his strengths and weakness, his marking was his greatest strength... so hopefully he can at least start taking some grabs.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
WaggaSaint
Club Player

I have to admit, I did finally lose it, and I traded Kosi out of my dream team last week. I'd had enough.

I can't get to games live, so I did have to endure the *stunning* Friday night football coverage, and from what I could see in the background at least a couple of times was Kosi leading into space - free - and not being kicked to.

Perhaps not only is he down on confidence, other players aren't confident kicking it to him?

For mine, he's much better up the field crashing into blokes, than down forward permanently. Does his best work when he can crash a pack. I don't think he's being used to his best ability.

Nice one chopps....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

WaggaSaint wrote:
I can't get to games live, so I did have to endure the *stunning* Friday night football coverage, and from what I could see in the background at least a couple of times was Kosi leading into space - free - and not being kicked to.

Perhaps not only is he down on confidence, other players aren't confident kicking it to him?
Not sure any leads were honoured much Friday night other than Milne, looked at the stats and our tall targets (Kosi, Rhys, Gardiner and Ben) were only a combined target of 12 times inside 50.

Kosi and Rhys especially seemed to push up the ground a little at times to provide a link?

Seems like we struggled with that in between kick again.

Goddard had to go back to defence to help out, Dal was quiet, and Lenny seemed to have a little concussion.

The only time the ball went inside 50 well, I think Joey had it in his hands.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Not sure any leads were honoured much Friday night other than Milne, looked at the stats and our tall targets (Kosi, Rhys, Gardiner and Ben) were only a combined target of 12 times inside 50.

Kosi and Rhys especially seemed to push up the ground a little at times to provide a link?

Goddard had to go back to defence to help out, Dal was quiet, and Lenny seemed to have a little concussion.

it was a good call by you last week K that they should go to milne more often. five goals is testament to that.

he's probably the best natural forward we have at the moment (though it's too early to make a judgement on Stanley).

we wouldn't want to rely on it every week though. generally we need to spot up the best option and go with what is working on the day.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:Not sure any leads were honoured much Friday night other than Milne, looked at the stats and our tall targets (Kosi, Rhys, Gardiner and Ben) were only a combined target of 12 times inside 50.

it was a good call by you last week K that they should go to milne more often. five goals is testament to that.

he's probably the best natural forward we have at the moment (though it's too early to make a judgement on Stanley).

we wouldn't want to rely on it every week though. generally we need to spot up the best option and go with what is working on the day.
I just think he has evolved his game from being so much more than a goal sneak, and can play a small leading forward as well....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I just think he has evolved his game from being so much more than a goal sneak, and can play a small leading forward as well....
as you know, i wanted goddard forward in riewoldt's absence but ross has made it pretty clear he doesn't think we can spare him to do that.

so milne might be the main go to man for a little while. he certainly offers more in the way of goals than kosi and it's cruel to expect a bag of goals from stanley, who is just a kid.

but being little limits milne in the sense that he's going to often be beaten aerially unless they can honour his leads laces up on the chest.

in a tough game, with delivery coming in under pressure, this isn't always possible.