what.....no thread on raph...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Antiquera wrote:It still amazes me the "saint fans " sitting around me constantly bagging Ralph when he is clearly having a good day .

They live in some warped time zone that satifies their need to have someone to wip , and Kosi is fast becoming the next one . I felt sad for him when the bronx cheer raised its ugly head when he took that mark in the last term.

All you do is cheer our guys on and know that they are out there doing the job under the jibs from those that should be supporting them.

It truely makes me want to go home and watch it on the TV , but I stay because our team deserves our live cheers !
Agree.

If you're a true supporter you don't "bronx cheer" your own players, regardless of whether you like them or not, or whether they're in form or not.

That's not to say you can't have an opinion about them or their place in the team.

But once you're at the game, and they're on the ground, for god's sake support them!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I must confess to a slight 'bronx cheer' when Kosi marked toward game's end. Not proud of it and promise to myself not to ever do it again. Came out of frustration but it's not helping him. Good to see Raph playing bravely, I think that's a sign your confidence is up. If you look at Zac and Kosi they're not playing as bravely as they are capable.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
linz
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:I must confess to a slight 'bronx cheer' when Kosi marked toward game's end. Not proud of it and promise to myself not to ever do it again. Came out of frustration but it's not helping him. Good to see Raph playing bravely, I think that's a sign your confidence is up. If you look at Zac and Kosi they're not playing as bravely as they are capable.
Good Post millarsaint. I too gave him a slight bronx cheer. Actually more than a bit slight to be honest (not that I'm proud of it).

Kosi is so down on confidence. We're playing the Tigers this week. IF and it is a Big IF we take control of the game early:

IMO Ross should say: "Kosi have a run on the ball and play the way you want to in order to beat your opponent and his team.

"A free-range Kosi might allow him to break the shackles a bit and help him re-discover the joys of football. Maybe he feels a bit restricted or constricted right now. Let's give the guy a break.

FREE KOSI & LET HIM ROAM :)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
rexy
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Watched him closely tonight, I realise he has the blessing of the coach to take the play on and try to break through zones etc....but I think he gets sold into trouble by his teammates a bit sometimes.

Nobody else can get through, he just happens to be the last guy who gets the handball quite often and has a wall of opposition players in front of him?

Sure he returns the favour sometimes, handballing off to a worse option, but he cops he fair share also.

I think he one of our players who's form is trending in the right direction at the moment.
Spot on, only question I have is, is it just unlucky or does he not talk to his team mates. The example with Goddard, he should have been saying your hot your hot kick it kick it etc. ? wonder if he calls for ball in bad spots, doesnt talk at all or is just unlucky?

Unashamed raph supporter, curious about this point though.

Maybe this year?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:

yep......ross has a responsibility to give kossi a go on the ball......if not...drop him till he gets some form......the ways things are going kossi is being crucified.....imhfo,,,,,

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rexy
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
linz wrote:

yep......ross has a responsibility to give kossi a go on the ball......if not...drop him till he gets some form......the ways things are going kossi is being crucified.....imhfo,,,,,
You might be right Stinger, its either that or Ross really feels that Kosi is doing enough witout getting his hands on it, to allow his team mates to get shots at goal? Seems unrealsistic that you can play a guy in a top 4 side in the highest form of a professional sport, just to be a decoy for want of a better word but.....? I dont know, all i know is with no Kosi we look very unintimidating up front IMO.

Maybe this year?
Foz
Club Player

Must say I had a ah-hem, light on defining moment last night...

I saw in my expansive mind Raph lining up on the wing...think it was just after when he dribbled that ball across goal by foot and it went out of bounce and the crowd sighed & the obligatory Raph basher behind me squealed.

I realised the one thing that lets Raph down is he is stifled by defence. Its a bit like playing Peake there!

I would give Raph freedom on the wing to be that attacking player he could be!

I wouldn't say hes a defender that can run forward I would give him a stint on the wing ! I believe if players could cover for him, shepherd him where possible he could be of greater benefit to the team.

I don't think Raph's the forward or really a strong defender, but can't see why we can't hedge our bets and see him as a mid with both sets of qualities.

BTW, was that Xavier Clarke re-incarnated as number 38 for the Crows or what? Head tilt forward, skinny, longish hair, moved like him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I would give Raph freedom on the wing to be that attacking player he could be!
i've been saying that for 18 months. midfield, wing or half forward imo.

he's a creative player who likes to take the game on and feels under enormous pressure not to make mistakes when in defence.

could be an absolute gun if he is given the license to create.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is starting to get confidence at HB and people want to move him. Leave him be. He may become a very good player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Foz wrote:I would give Raph freedom on the wing to be that attacking player he could be!

he's a creative player who likes to take the game on and feels under enormous pressure not to make mistakes when in defence.

I am not sure that I understand this logic.

In recent years the HB slot has become one of the most creativce and attacking positions on the field.

When played there Gram, Fisher, Gilbert and BJ are all attacking and creative.

Indeed IMO one of the manin reasons Lyon wants Raph at HBB is because he does have attacking flair.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:

Which ignores one of Raph's mroe important contributions: Porplyzia followed in LeCras' footsteps, and was barely sighted.

Curious to hear that was said about him on TV - I too was expecting a "bash Raph" thread. Both at the game and on the train I kept hearing it. Thought it was a bit harsh given that amongst 18 disposals, he had 2 clangers (and while the free against was really him being sold into trouble, that kick across goal out of bounds would not have been scored a clanger, so we'll break that even). Sure they were spectacular ones, but they were less an issue than him trying to do too much with the ball:
- trying to lead McEvoy into space... loving Big Ben's work right now, a speed demon he is not.
- a couple of handballs behind Fisher and Dal Santo.

Another note: I believe he picked up most of his disposals in the 1st (8) and 4th (?). Now, I didn't note him being hugely damaging with his use, but those were certainly our best quarters.

I'm certainly biased - I want Raph to be rounding out, so may be seeing what I want to see - but I thought he was good.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Which ignores one of Raph's mroe important contributions: Porplyzia followed in LeCras' footsteps, and was barely sighted.
that's a good point, but i still think he is not a natural defender and being one stifles his creative instincts.

you can count on a couple of costly and embarrassing clangers, too, and i think that is because he doesn't feel free to play his natural attacking game.

i think he could really set us alight through the midfield or on the wing.

he's surprisingly good overhead, but tends not to go for contested marks in the backline. i guess his instructions are to spoil.

Foz
Club Player

Half back has become the launching pad in recent seasons, Grammy being an architect of some creative work.

But at half back, when Raph's in defence he seems in two minds - the courageous run back into the pack defender and the link player in heavy traffic.

I think at parts of the game getting Raph to run through the middle (starting on the wing) would be a great option.

I think changing up Joey, Raph, Peake, Faz, Grammy on the wings would be the way to go. I'm not sure what you'd lose by Farren covering back and give Raph licence for a quarter with Joey going foward.

derby Street
Club Player

Going O.K - leave him be. I know what will happen if Raph plays a poor game - the Raph haters will emerge like a pack of rabid dogs.

repta
Club Player

Played well. Still doesnt move the ball on fast enough, therefore puts himself under pressure and ends up missing the intended target.
If he didnt leave it to the last second to dispose of the ball he would improve remarkably.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Played well. Still doesnt move the ball on fast enough, therefore puts himself under pressure and ends up missing the intended target.
If he didnt leave it to the last second to dispose of the ball he would improve remarkably.
I like this opinion. Needs to make his decisions a little quicker. if this begins to happen, it will improve him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
repta wrote:Played well. Still doesnt move the ball on fast enough, therefore puts himself under pressure and ends up missing the intended target.
I like this opinion. Needs to make his decisions a little quicker. if this begins to happen, it will improve him.
Needs to start matches like he finishes them.

My brother reckons they should make him play a quarter before the game starts...