Potential Rookie Elevations after Rd 11 ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bergholt wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I reckon the look of ease comes from him having a rock solid view of what he needs to do to succeed and sticking rigidly to his development plan. He's a cold, calculated fella, I reckon, with the eye of a dead fish fixed firmly on the goal. He seems to have real powers of concentration and a sound belief in himself, evidenced by not doing anything dumb by getting sidetracked.
sounds like you're describing riewoldt or hayes there. that's the frame of mind of a champion. if walsh really has that then there's no way he can fail.
elevate him off the rookies
I dont think they will do that. Probably no chance to play this year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bergholt wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I reckon the look of ease comes from him having a rock solid view of what he needs to do to succeed and sticking rigidly to his development plan. He's a cold, calculated fella, I reckon, with the eye of a dead fish fixed firmly on the goal. He seems to have real powers of concentration and a sound belief in himself, evidenced by not doing anything dumb by getting sidetracked.
sounds like you're describing riewoldt or hayes there. that's the frame of mind of a champion. if walsh really has that then there's no way he can fail.
elevate him off the rookies
I dont think they will do that. Probably no chance to play this year.
it will depend on his form. he had five shots at goal yesterday in his first outing in the forward line. this was remarked on by ross lyon at his post match press conference.

He watched the sandringham match on television and seemed quite impressed with walsh's form.

if tommy starts to blitz at sandringham they will elevate him for sure.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:After watching Walsh today, I'm more convinced he will get a chance this year, for no other reason than he will have earnt it.
The ABC VFL game was my first real sighting of him. I hesitate to render judgement based on a single game watched on TV. But I was stunned how good he looked.

Was able to do the forward work on the lead and at ground level, and was one of the noticeably good players for Sandy.

The only caveat was that his goalkicking was O'Hailpin like... not good from set shots, but very good from general play.

Well ahead of where I would have expected, and may be worth throwing a couple of games to him to "blood" him, ala Stanley, ala Heyne.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was also impressed with Tommy Walsh. I thought Simpkin showed something too, it was obvious that he must have been niggling his opponent. He improved later in the game. I was disappointed with Gaertner, I thouht his disposal was shocking. He will need to improve a fair bit to be retained, let alone promoted. I dont think any of the other rookies were playing except Leigh Fisher.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I was also impressed with Tommy Walsh. I thought Simpkin showed something too, it was obvious that he must have been niggling his opponent. He improved later in the game. I was disappointed with Gaertner, I thouht his disposal was shocking. He will need to improve a fair bit to be retained, let alone promoted. I dont think any of the other rookies were playing except Leigh Fisher.
Mark Hutchings played, was industrious, but is slow.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell