Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

derby Street
Club Player

Fidelis wrote:I must admit I didn't understand what the coaches saw in Eddy until I watched a game from high on the wing at the G last year.

From there I was amazed at what an important role he played in the structures we used.

When we took possession, Eddy would bolt wide to the boundary line, dragging a defender away from the contest zone and opening up space. He is such a good athlete that he often had a yard or two on his opponent but was rarely used as an option unless his opposite number chose not to go with him.

When we lost possession, Eddy would be the player covering the bolter; an opposition player who spread wide to give a quick rebounding option. He was so effective in covering his player that he was rarely in the contest.

Got very few possessions and didn't use them particularly well but did play a critical role; one that many (including a recent Magpies recruit) didn't have the engine to fill.

I've had a new appreciation since and think that if his skills can develop to the point where his team mates have the confidence to use him, he may well bcome more prolific.
Interesting - and some good points that point to Ross' structures & how important that you play to them.

elvis lives
Club Player

Opposition coaches must get so frustrated when eddy gets selected. They read that teamsheet and know.. "ah well there goes all our space" match day comes and all the opposition are running into each other "where's all our space?" R Eddy strikes again. It's a shame space filling doesn't accrue dreamteam points, r eddy would be the new Ablett.

I am marching in the Saints army
StPeter
Club Player

I think more opposition coaches would be cheering on his selection.
A very ordinary player although he did show something for the first time in his game against Port.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good posts Fidelis and Elvis.

Football is a team game...and eddy is avery good team player for reasons that you have outlined.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....