The Ongoing Decline of AFL Commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Think most of them are good but the best was when Channel 9 had Sunday with BT, Brayshaw and Lyon. They had a bit of fun with the footy. Certainly the best way for TV to do it. We see the pictures so they should talk more about the game instead of commentating every kick. Overall though they are just as good as always.
Nothing is more sickening that some lame wannabe comedians making light of a game that your team is playing in.

Particularly if they're getting rolled.
Agree. I'd rather they STFU than try turn the football match they're commentating into a comedy showcase...Roy and HG are good for that, BT and Brayshaw aren't.

However, Ross Nobel = Malcolm Blight.

Saintsfan
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Think most of them are good but the best was when Channel 9 had Sunday with BT, Brayshaw and Lyon. They had a bit of fun with the footy. Certainly the best way for TV to do it. We see the pictures so they should talk more about the game instead of commentating every kick. Overall though they are just as good as always.
Nothing is more sickening that some lame wannabe comedians making light of a game that your team is playing in.

Particularly if they're getting rolled.
Well that's a pity.

I somehow do not think there is a correlation between a teams' poor performance and comedy however.

The Saintsfan Cometh
saintnick12
Club Player

This group was good on MMM too. Sometimes Lyon and Dunstall and sometime Dunstall and Frawley. They were a bit of a boys club at times, with injokes, but still entertaining to pass a Saturday afternoon at home. With BT moving to 3AW(?), and being replaced by Rex , I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much.
I also listen to radio in one ear at games. I have been having trouble getting SEN, but generally listen to either MMM if using my mobile, or ABC if using my other radio. Can get quite a good reception inside Etihad. Whately, ALves and Aussie Jones seem to be often calling our games on a Sunday afternoon. Whately seems to like us and the other two are ex Saints people so a little saints bias is good. :wink:

Agree with the posters above that Tim Gossage is shocking calling the WA games, but particularly FREO games. I read somewhere on here a few months ago that he is actually a saints fan...came as a big surprise. THought for sure he was purple haze through and through.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Saintsfan
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
This group was good on MMM too. Sometimes Lyon and Dunstall and sometime Dunstall and Frawley. They were a bit of a boys club at times, with injokes, but still entertaining to pass a Saturday afternoon at home. With BT moving to 3AW(?), and being replaced by Rex , I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much.
I also listen to radio in one ear at games. I have been having trouble getting SEN, but generally listen to either MMM if using my mobile, or ABC if using my other radio. Can get quite a good reception inside Etihad. Whately, ALves and Aussie Jones seem to be often calling our games on a Sunday afternoon. Whately seems to like us and the other two are ex Saints people so a little saints bias is good. :wink:

Agree with the posters above that Tim Gossage is shocking calling the WA games, but particularly FREO games. I read somewhere on here a few months ago that he is actually a saints fan...came as a big surprise. THought for sure he was purple haze through and through.
You have contradicted by stating you enjoy a bit of Saints' bias but anything else from another person involving another club you define as 'shocking'. Come on....

The Saintsfan Cometh
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I find radio less of an issue...they seem to maintain the old school approach of calling the game, opinions during the break.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Well that's a pity.

I somehow do not think there is a correlation between a teams' poor performance and comedy however.
Neither do I.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Well that's a pity.

Neither do I.

It is amazing you dont like comedy. You come across as a laugh a minute

matrix
Saintsational Legend

speaking of comedy....that was pretty funny plugger

lol

now stop picking on grant.....errrr rodg Image

saintnick12
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

You have contradicted by stating you enjoy a bit of Saints' bias but anything else from another person involving another club you define as 'shocking'. Come on....
I was joking about the Saints bias...hence the wink.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:Unfortunately when Clinton Grybus died and Wayne Carey found more trouble the good commentary team on Fox Sports was broken up.

Grybus, Carey and Healy on Sunday twighlight games were fantastic both from a semi-informative level but also entertaining.

Channel 9 had a good team on Friday nights with Eddie, Lyon, Dennis and Dermott who were all either entertaining or semi-informative and seemed to work well as a unit.
Great call regarding the old Sunday Fox team.

Grybas and Carey had a great on-air rapport.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saintsfan
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Well that's a pity.

Neither do I.

Yes it is, you whinged about listening to a comedy-type commentary performance when your team is losing.

Nobody seems to understand you on here Grant. I for one love you and want to have your 324126th child.

The Saintsfan Cometh
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Well that's a pity.

Neither do I.

Yes it is, you whinged about listening to a comedy-type commentary performance when your team is losing.

Nobody seems to understand you on here Grant. I for one love you and want to have your 324126th child.
Not liking it, and it being directly linked to the team's performance are two completely different things.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Bring back Mike Williamson and Butch Gale, I reckon.

Or, better still, Ted Henrys.

philtee
Club Player

It's taken me a while, but I think I'm over Bruce McAvaney.
Cometti keeps coming up with the fresh one-liners, but Bruce is still
trying the same old lines from 1989.
Last night was a prime example.

Lots of sentences start with "So...".
Every third sentence starts with "Such..."
Every other sentence is actually a question.
Every fifth sentence starts with "Suddenly...".

Which gives you something like this -
"So this is an important kick for the Magpies. Wouldn't this bring the
house down? Such an opportunity for the youngster Beams. He's a real
star isn't he ? So he leans back. Has it got the distance ? Has it? I think he's kicked it. And suddenly, the Magpies are in front !" Repeat until final siren.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The issue I have with McAvaney is his lack of interest in anyone other than superstars. I rmeber one occassion whne he was waffling on about hoe inspirational Carey was as a captain - at teh time Carey was sitting on the bench !! :roll:

Yeahm inspirational way to sit on the bench Wayne.....woo hoo.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!