Next Weeks Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Outs: DAWSON, McQualter, Gram

Ins: Clarke, Stevens, Eddy

degruch
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:B: Gwilt, Blake, Baker
HB: Clarke, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Montagna, Hayes, Ray
HF: McQualter, Goddard, Peake
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider

Foll: Gardiner, Dal Santo, Jones
Int: Armitage, Geary, Heyne, McEvoy

Out: Dawson (susp), Gram (inj)
IN: Clarke, Peake

Steven in on the off-chance that McQualter is suspended or dropped
This is about right. Horses for courses..and whilst Clarke and Peake far from demand selection,we will need run and carry on Subiaco from somewhere,therefore these 2 are certainties.

Would also consider dumping BigMac and giving Stanley a go. Bigmac will lumber around the wide open spaces over there and contribute nothing.Stanley will be able to use his pace over there and at least provide a contest against NicNat...he might not be demanding selection either,but surely with his speed he will offer more than McEvoy?
Like this idea too. Minimal changes, so we can settle the team after what's been a month of musical chairs.

Zac out, Raph in.

Gram out, Peake in.

Steven a chance for Mini, but Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat. Besides, selection after 3 possies in the VFL sets a bad precedent IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
jonesy wrote:

This is about right. Horses for courses..and whilst Clarke and Peake far from demand selection,we will need run and carry on Subiaco from somewhere,therefore these 2 are certainties.

Would also consider dumping BigMac and giving Stanley a go. Bigmac will lumber around the wide open spaces over there and contribute nothing.Stanley will be able to use his pace over there and at least provide a contest against NicNat...he might not be demanding selection either,but surely with his speed he will offer more than McEvoy?
Like this idea too. Minimal changes, so we can settle the team after what's been a month of musical chairs.

Zac out, Raph in.

Gram out, Peake in.

Steven a chance for Mini, but Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat. Besides, selection after 3 possies in the VFL sets a bad precedent IMO.
Stanley got named second best for Sandy. Surely he had more than 3 possesions.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

They must have been three mighty good possessions then. He was named 2nd best for Sandy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Zac out, Raph in.

Gram out, Peake in.

Just going off Lyon's quote yesterday. Must have been 3 bloody good possessions. In any case, throwing him in the ruck against Cox/NicNat, or throwing him into the forwardline against Glass et al, will not produce the results we are looking for. We saw marked improvement in the forward 50, unfortunately with no improvement in kicking. Let's keep as is again this week and settle.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Zac out, Raph in.

Gram out, Peake in.

Was about to say the same thing...granted I didn't see the game,but he was obviously ok to be names 2nd best.
BigMac has done nothing to suggest he is ready for permanent AFL footy. He did not kick the ball last night,and had only 8 hit outs. Surely Stanley can contribute more than this...and if Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat...imagine how he;'s going leave BigMac in his wake.

We need some speed, his time is this week against average opposition on a ground that screams out for pace

Bring back the Lockett era
degruch
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Zac out, Raph in.

Gram out, Peake in.

Was about to say the same thing...granted I didn't see the game,but he was obviously ok to be names 2nd best.
BigMac has done nothing to suggest he is ready for permanent AFL footy. He did not kick the ball last night,and had only 8 hit outs. Surely Stanley can contribute more than this...and if Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat...imagine how he;'s going leave BigMac in his wake.

We need some speed, his time is this week against average opposition on a ground that screams out for pace
OK, here's Foz's report from yesterday...I must have been responding to Lyon's comments re: last weeks game (inconsistant much?):

The memory for mine was Stanley taking a set shot from 55 near the end of the game. He went a mile back, never considered passing it and went back and drilled it. Hes a super talent, raw as stated, but considering it was after he had rucked 3/4 of the day against bigger bodies, it was a great pointer to the future. The fact hes a contested marker, huge kick and has pace are great attributes for a long AFL career.

Sounds better. I initially thought this would be a good game to experiment, but a loss might have a profound ripple effect, so I am more in favour of a settled line-up. Granted Big Mac does not look in great form, but he was selected after some good performances in the VFL, so go figure.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I expect Eddy, Raph, Steven to get a run and probably Peake regardless of Sandy form. Stanley may be a consideration just get some more run happening. Zac and probably Mini, Geary and Armo to go out -Scheids and Milne must be frustrating RL and would need a big effort this week.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

degruch wrote:Steven a chance for Mini, but Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat. Besides, selection after 3 possies in the VFL sets a bad precedent IMO.
Stanley in the ruck against Natanui might not be a bad idea.

Stanley is very athletic and using him to try and combat Natanui's athleticisim might work in our favour or at least neutralise him. I can't see Gardy or Big Mac being able to match him in that regard.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
degruch wrote:Steven a chance for Mini, but Stanley will get smashed in the ruck by NicNat. Besides, selection after 3 possies in the VFL sets a bad precedent IMO.
Stanley in the ruck against Natanui might not be a bad idea.

Stanley is very athletic and using him to try and combat Natanui's athleticisim might work in our favour or at least neutralise him. I can't see Gardy or Big Mac being able to match him in that regard.
It's NicNat's second efforts that make him dangerous...he'll lose the ruck but brush everyone else aside and make the centre clearance himself. I think a massive improvement around the stoppages is more important than combating his athletisism in the ruck...some improvement was on the way this week.

Hey, don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't be upset to see him in the team.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just don't think you're going to see a kid who hasn't built up match fitness yet, struggling to get touches, debut at one of the biggest grounds against Cox and Nic-Nat.

So excited to see Stanley like everyone else, but you don't want to completely destroy his confidence in his first game.

Not just that, but I'd like to see Ross back the team that's in there now.

I think the outs will be Gram (inj) Dawson Mini (susp)

Ins Steven, Peake, Eddy

SaintTom
Club Player

Out - Zac, Mini, Gram (Damn it..)

In - Raph, Peake, Steven

And the Lyon comment was about last week, not this weekend. And I think he only played half a game last weekend in case he was needed monday night?

If Zac is out Raph I think will come in. Has some pace, and we need a back man in there. Blake to FB. Peake knows that ground, has pace, might not be performing that well for Sandy but was far from terrible when he was playing AFL. Steven for mini, like for like, and again, Steven wasn't terrible. No way J Smith will play, give him some time fellas, and Stanley would be great to see, but I don't see it happening this week. Maybe against Adelaide or Richmond if he can get named in the top few for Sandy a few more weeks in a row.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Out Zac, Gram
In Raph, Steven

Our backline KPP depth is not what it was in 2009.

older saint
SS Life Member

Horses for Courses at Subi. Interesting that Collingwood bought in an extra lead up forward to allow for the extra length of the ground.

Obviously Gram out Injured, McQualters form does not deserve a game at this point in time.

Steven in for Gram to give us some run, Stanley in as a marking half forward ( not a ruckman) for McQualter. If Dawson out then need to consider Raph as WC have 2 marking forwards - Kennedy (Fisher) and Lynch (Blake).

Eddy would come under consideration for the run factor.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:kaos theory - do we wait until round 15 when we are 7-8 to give this guy a go?

If he has the talent everybody talks about then i would have thought we are a better side with him in than out..
It is not a matter of giving Jesse a go.

It is a matter of him not currently being fit enough to play a full game of VFL footy, let alone AFL.

He is being managed back with part-time games.

Will be given more ground time. If he plays well he will force his way in the seniors.

But right here and now he is underdone.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bardon Saint
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

About Stanley's non selection.

I think it will be a while before we see the young lad??

matrix
Saintsational Legend

"...and I hear all the jungle drums about bringing him in"

someone reads the forum
lol

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

About Stanley's non selection.

I think it will be a while before we see the young lad??
On the back of positive reports from the media (and similar comments from RL) about Patterson and Raph, you'd almost put money on Stanley lining up this week! :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:"...and I hear all the jungle drums about bringing him in"

someone reads the forum
lol
I thought that as well :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well (imo) raph will be in for zac..i mean what other defenders have had experience in the 1's that can come in???

gram out, so i say give stanley a gig
stick him on the wing or the back flank and let him run the length of subi
he'll leave em all for dead.
he gives a few options...can go to a foward flank if need be as well

cant see young steven coming in on such a big ground with him having a lack of pace to be honest.

but then again, mini might get a wake up call and he might take his spot in the pocket
doubt it tho....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:You think they might bring in Peake for Subi?

yep....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Out:
Dawson (will get a week)
McQualter (only getting a game on reputation at the moment)
Gram

In:
Stanley (regardless of form in the 2's, space in the forward line is what this guy will crave, and what Subiaco provides. Also releases Fisher back into defence)
Steven (will rotate with Heyne through Mini's forward pocket)
Peake (bit of local knowledge could be handy)

Close call: Gaertner in instead of Steven, I was impressed with the glimpses he showed through the Nab cup, and sounds ahead of Johnston at the minute. Fisher could stay forward in this instance, this would probably make us top-heavy though.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

If Zac is out, then Gilbert may need to take Lynch and hopefully make him accountable. I think we may need to use Blake in the middle to try and contain NicNat as neither McEvoy or Gards can run with him. In the ruck contest itself it is not so important as he is not that strong at the bounce, though Cox obviously is, but once the ball hits the deck we need to control him.
For Gram we probably need to bring in Peake or Stevens purely for the run on Subiaco or maybe even both for McQ as well.

sax
Club Player

Out: Dawson, Gram, McQualtar. In: Stanley, Clarke, Peake

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Are the people tipping Stanley to come in aware that we would then have 4 ruck/forwards in the side? There is absolutely no chance we'll play with Gardiner, McEvoy, Koschitzke and Stanley.