give them something to kick to ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

big carl ... you are spot on .. have been saying exactly that since Roo went down ... Gilbert at CHF and Goddard at FF ... add in Shneider, Milne, McQualter and a mid ... and leave the structure there for 4+ weeks

Kosi and Gards to ruck from the interchange nd push foward like they love to do

back half still has plenty of options with Baker, Dawson, Blake, Fisher, Gwilt and then throw in one of Gram, Ray, Geary etc as running half backs

we still have plenty of midfield strength with Hayes, Jones, Montagna, dal Santo, Steven, Armitage ...

OUT: King, R. Clarke
IN: Armitage, A. Smith (grunt and pace)

If baker gets reported / suspended then OUCH

p.s. the rotating forward line sucks!!!!!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
na exa
Club Player

create anew ... that doesnt revolve around #12 .... forget roo

when and if he returns , play him on the wing , he can present for the ball coming out from the backs and read and repel the pill coming back at us ... (let em triple team him there)... then he's cream , not the be all of our winning possibilities

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintWal wrote:Some players will develop better in the first 22. The boy can jump lead and mark. Good enough for me. His leap is also exceptional and would have at least provided some first use to our mids tonight. Rumour has it that he has a bit of pace as well
have you seen sandringham play this year? he played forward for them last week and, sadly, i just couldn't pick him on what i saw. tommy walsh looked closer to senior selection.
bigcarl, Tommy Walsh is not the answer and will not be anytime soon.

Nick Heyne, Rob Eddy and McEvoy are the only ones I can see coming in next week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We cannot have Sam Gilbert at CHF. Why does anyone think he could even play there. No experience at all in that position. bring in a forward, dont try to create one a third of a season it. It will not work. Just unsettles our backline.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger ... either you didnt see pre season games in 2009 or your memory is fading because he was very dangerous forward and took some big grabs, created pressure and kicked multiple goals. i saw enough to know he can definitely be a centre half forward. He needs 4 to 6 games there. Full Forward is much more of a problem to fill. Goddard best there. we are better to fill the backline and midfield in his absence up forward. if we need him further upfield then the ruckmen Kosi and Gardner could rotate from full forward rathher than from the bench.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
nobhead
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
saint58 wrote:I said last year Gilbert to ff or chf he is like a young Frazer G with his pace could be a great forward.I know that leaves a hole in the back line bring in gaertner big been best for sandy last 4 weeks
'

i think we have to do something radical about the forward set up before the rot sets in. gilbert to chf. goddard to ff.
i agree something radical needs to be done .bring in stanly to ff, drop king he has no influence on the ground at the moment .bring in macca to help gardy ruck .also drop raph ,bring back armo .play fisher at chb and blake at fb .drop zac and try lynch,heyne.lets see what there capable of,can't do any worse than what we have been doing the last couple of weeks .alot of people will argue that you have to earn your spot but that works both ways .you can't keep your spot in the team if your efforts are not up too sratch.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We cannot have Sam Gilbert at CHF. Why does anyone think he could even play there. No experience at all in that position. bring in a forward, dont try to create one a third of a season it. It will not work. Just unsettles our backline.
i disagree that he couldn't play there. he has all the skills and he is quick, elusive and creative.

as to your other point, which key forward would you bring in? stanley, who cannot get near it at present, or tommy walsh? both are going to be great, but not yet.

we need to commit some resources forward. we've been replacing the best player in the competition with who?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Carlton has reconstructed their forward line without Fevola and we saw how good a job they've done last night.
Difference last night was that their forwards stayed in the forward line so their players further up the field had something to kick to when they went forward.
They also moved the ball quickly and long in to the forward line. They didn't attempt to go through our defensive zones, they went over it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We need to play Tommy Walsh as either FF or CHF in the magoos to learn the position, whichever we want to groom him for.
In the meantime BJ should be played at CHF, at FF he is too far out of the play. We need to replace Kose at FF, but I really dont know who is up to it. Kosi should have spells in the FP, as he did so successfully when GTrain was FF.
Last edited by borderbarry on Tue 11 May 2010 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need to try something different.

I reckon Stanley is probably not positioned correctly in the VFL - he needs space and would be cramped if at ff.
Stanley won't shine if constricted - it stands to reason... so it's no surprise then that he's not performing.

So Stanley to half forward (not FF) so he can run around at will and use his pace and chase to create turnovers... as we saw in the NAB.

and Heyne to half forward flank...may be the quick medium sized forward we lack.

Our forward line currently isn't performing anyway - so we have nothing to lose - it's not as if we are throwing caution to the wind.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We need to play Tommy Walsh as either FF or CHF in the magoos to learn the position, whichever we want to groom him for.
In the meantime BJ should be played at CHF, at FF he is too far out of the play. We need to replace Kose at FF, but I really dont know who is up to it. Kosi should have spells in the FP, as he did so successfully when GTrain was FF.
agree re walsh and the coach said in an interview that he was keen to throw him forward and see what happens as that is his natural game.

imo kosi cannot stay at ff, but will offer something around the ground as second ruck that king cannot.

maybe bj chf and gilbert ff?

as samoht pointed out, it is not as if we'd be throwing caution to the wind as what we are doing isn't working and doesn't look like working.

shmic_s
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Not sure we should be stealing people from defence anymore, it's starting to de-stablise IMO.

I would rather find something and stick to it, the rejigging isn't doing anyone any favours at the moment.

Need to stablise our side and quickly.
I agree. I couldn't believe i kept seeing Gwilt forward. He has shown something this year since been given a consistant position in the backline. Thought he was one of our best backmen in the early rounds.
I think Raph would be better suited to a HFF. He takes risks, has skills and is a confidence player. Not someone you want in the backline.
So leave Gwilt back and send Raph forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:bigcarl, Tommy Walsh is not the answer and will not be anytime soon.
where in any of my posts have i suggested he's the answer? i think he may be a very good player down the track.

i said simply that he looks more ready for senior football than stanley. for one thing, his body is fully developed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:plugger ... either you didnt see pre season games in 2009 or your memory is fading because he was very dangerous forward and took some big grabs, created pressure and kicked multiple goals. i saw enough to know he can definitely be a centre half forward. He needs 4 to 6 games there. Full Forward is much more of a problem to fill. Goddard best there. we are better to fill the backline and midfield in his absence up forward. if we need him further upfield then the ruckmen Kosi and Gardner could rotate from full forward rathher than from the bench.
Hanging your hat on practice games over a year a go.. Where is Stanley and Smith if they count so much. He is a backman and a very good backman. Why make an average forward out of him. Look at Fisher when tried there. It is a completely different skill. One that is very hard, if not impossible to pick up mid way through a year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:plugger ... either you didnt see pre season games in 2009 or your memory is fading because he was very dangerous forward and took some big grabs, created pressure and kicked multiple goals. i saw enough to know he can definitely be a centre half forward. He needs 4 to 6 games there. Full Forward is much more of a problem to fill. Goddard best there. we are better to fill the backline and midfield in his absence up forward. if we need him further upfield then the ruckmen Kosi and Gardner could rotate from full forward rathher than from the bench.
Hanging your hat on practice games over a year a go.. Where is Stanley and Smith if they count so much. He is a backman and a very good backman. Why make an average forward out of him. Look at Fisher when tried there. It is a completely different skill. One that is very hard, if not impossible to pick up mid way through a year.
sorry plugger, i agree with backfromusa on this one. we've got to do something.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I knew you would agree. I reckon in the last 3 years you have tried everyone forward bar Richard Fromberg. :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I knew you would agree. I reckon in the last 3 years you have tried everyone forward bar Richard Fromberg. :wink:
only because i know that you must kick goals to win games :wink: