Ball having a big game against Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball is now the teachers pet, all is well in the world :wink:

Behind Play
Club Player

One good game is not a season, still plenty of footy to go.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we miss him on-field to be honest.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

rodgerfox wrote:I reckon we miss him on-field to be honest.
The feeling i$ not mutual... I'm $ure.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Footy wise, or leadership wise?

It's really hard to tell, as Armo is not really a like for like.

One thing I have been really impressed with so far, is Armo's contested possession this year. Our matches the last two weeks have probably not really flattered anyone much, but his game against Freo was particularly good.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

One thing I have been really impressed with so far, is Armo's contested possession this year. Our matches the last two weeks have probably not really flattered anyone much, but his game against Freo was particularly good.
Both.

I think we could have played both Ball and Armitage. I don't think it had to be one or the other like everyone seems to suggest.

Tackling, composure, clearances and leadership are all things that Ball brings to the table.

I think we're missing him.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Of course you do GT....

You wouldn't have paid him 600k a year otherwise

Bring back the Lockett era
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Of course you do GT....

You wouldn't have paid him 600k a year otherwise
???

Ball's pay packet has nothing to do with what I posted.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Now GT,we all know that your continued support for Ball on here and footy classified is just a way to try and justify the 600k a year contract you gave Bally

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Both.

I think we could have played both Ball and Armitage. I don't think it had to be one or the other like everyone seems to suggest.

Tackling, composure, clearances and leadership are all things that Ball brings to the table.

On the back of the weekends game, you could make a good case for Luke, but I am not sure his form has been consistent so far this year.

Armo is great in the tackling stakes, maybe not quite so high as Luke, but one could argue he doesn't need to as often as his CP is higher than Ball and he already has possesion? 8-)

Maybe if Luke hadn't decided to leave, you may of seen both in the side this year, but we'll never know.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Armo vs Ball is interesting... but there are other young players that would have always made Ball a fringe player.

that's because Ball has below VFL level skills.

For example ..
Steven is going to be a better player than Ball, maybe as early as this year .. he has more skill, a much better kick , more run and is just as hard at it... he throws himself into contests.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
On the back of the weekends game, you could make a good case for Luke, but I am not sure his form has been consistent so far this year.
New team mates, new game plan, new coach etc. etc.

It takes time. He'll get better and better.
SainterK wrote: Armo is great in the tackling stakes, maybe not quite so high as Luke, but one could argue he doesn't need to as often as his CP is higher than Ball and he already has possesion? 8-)
We didn't lose Ball so we could get Armitage. We had them both.

There seems to be a mindset that it was either one or the other. I don't know why.
SainterK wrote: Maybe if Luke hadn't decided to leave, you may of seen both in the side this year, but we'll never know.
Maybe, but that's not my point.

I just think we miss him on-field this year - and will as the season goes on.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Armo vs Ball is interesting... but there are other young players that would have always made Ball a fringe player.

For example ..
Steven is going to be a better player than Ball, maybe as early as this year .. he has more skill, a much better kick , more run and is just as hard at it... he throws himself into contests.
I can't agree with that.

Luke Ball was a very good player for us. And is still a very good footballer who does things that all sides need.

We have a dozen guys in the side right now who's footskills appear to be below VFL standard.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
samoht wrote:Armo vs Ball is interesting... but there are other young players that would have always made Ball a fringe player.

For example ..

I can't agree with that.

Luke Ball was a very good player for us. And is still a very good footballer who does things that all sides need.

We have a dozen guys in the side right now who's footskills appear to be below VFL standard.
An average 60 year old off the street can run and kick further than Ball.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
New team mates, new game plan, new coach etc. etc.

It takes time. He'll get better and better.
SainterK wrote: Armo is great in the tackling stakes, maybe not quite so high as Luke, but one could argue he doesn't need to as often as his CP is higher than Ball and he already has possesion? 8-)
We didn't lose Ball so we could get Armitage. We had them both.

There seems to be a mindset that it was either one or the other. I don't know why.
SainterK wrote: Maybe if Luke hadn't decided to leave, you may of seen both in the side this year, but we'll never know.
Maybe, but that's not my point.

I just think we miss him on-field this year - and will as the season goes on.
Not sure how to use the quote function like that, so will just answer your points collectively.

All true points you make about his new environment, and I'll guess we'll see if he improves.

He certainly played a better attacking game yesterday than he has in recent years, which I find myself feeling more annoyed about that than congratulatory, given he is now doing it for the opposition.

The younger players will need to adjust to life in the seniors, as much as Luke will need to adjust to life at Collingwood, and I think we'll see them improve as the year progresses also.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
An average 60 year old off the street can run and kick further than Ball.
I think that's something that has suddenly appeared from Saints fans since he left the club.

Sure, kicking is not his strength, but his running ability is very underrated.

We have plenty of guys who can't hit targets 30m away.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

We need to remember that Luke Ball never has a tagging opponent - he's playing in space as no one pays him respect... he has no run and no carry and no kicking penetration so the opposition let him play free and tag someone who is damaging.

Would we waste Jones tagging Ball ? ... the answer is a big NO !

Was Ball taking a tagger off Dal or Hayes or Montagna and making their life easier ... ?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I agree with that..... :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Both.

Who would he replace just out of interest, I can't see anyone but Armo being the one. Hence being one or the other.

His running ability is certainly at question IMO, he struggled to play and commit to the Saints game plan.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Who would he replace just out of interest, I can't see anyone but Armo being the one. Hence being one or the other.
That's a good question. I think you'd have to look at the stats in the areas such as clearances, tackles and contested footy.
But really, we're winning so it's hard to say off the top of my head.
maverick wrote: His running ability is certainly at question IMO, he struggled to play and commit to the Saints game plan.
I think his running is fine.

As for the game plan, clearly, he wasn't able to do something that Lyon wanted him to do. What precisely that was, I'm not sure.

I can't help but think though, that getting Lovett made losing Ball a non-factor for us.
Losing Lovett however, suddenly made it a factor.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: Ball having a big game against Blues

meher baba wrote:One goal with each foot, hitting targets by foot, and strong at the clearances.
Who cares?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:
That's a good question. I think you'd have to look at the stats in the areas such as clearances, tackles and contested footy.
maverick wrote: His running ability is certainly at question IMO, he struggled to play and commit to the Saints game plan.

As for the game plan, clearly, he wasn't able to do something that Lyon wanted him to do. What precisely that was, I'm not sure.

I can't help but think though, that getting Lovett made losing Ball a non-factor for us.
Not sure.

I know he wasn't able to kick goals at St Kilda, and suddenly he can kick multiple in a game, hence why this thread was probably started :x :wink:

samoht
Saintsational Legend

If Luke Ball has been reduced to a cheap goal kicking forward playing in space and 25 metres out and taking advantage of the fact that he is free and loose without an opponent - then he's losing even more of my respect.

Milne has to kick his goals with an opponent constantly breathing down his neck.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 03 May 2010 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:

Fair enough, agree losing Lovett and Ball wasn't great.
I agree some on here have gone too far the other way in bagging Ball (probably after idolising him when he was here), but trying as hard as I can to have two eyes open, I can't find a spot for him if its not Armo.

As much as Armo doesn't have Ball's seasoned body, nor his clearance ability (currently anyway), I think in time (by finals 2010) his output for this team would exceed Ball's. I think Ball's defensive workrate gut running from contest to contest was the question, too often his opponent got easy ball.

Armo's big advantage over Ball is his goal sense and kicking penetration, as yet his ball winning and clearance ability is unproven.

I back him though.

One last thing on Ball, my disappointment in him is that I see the player he is supposed to be running around in Cats colours and I wonder why Ball never became this good. The player is Joel Selwood.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:If Luke Ball has been reduced to a cheap goal kicking forward playing in space and 25 metres out and taking advantage of the fact that he is free and loose without an opponent - then he's losing even more of my respect.
I thought he was directly opposed to Brock McLean, but ran hard forward to create opportunities and critical times in the game.

Winning clearances is tough, kicking goals in doing so is very valuable.