This boring structure and game plan will cost us members

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: This boring structure and game plan will cost us members

degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
or better still go and watch basketball.
You could have easily been excused for thinking Friday night's game was a game of basketball.

Without the high scoring of course.
Hmmm...how many tackles in the last game of basketball you watched? :shock:
How many points scored in the last game of AFL footy you watched? (don't count Saints games though).

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
You could have easily been excused for thinking Friday night's game was a game of basketball.

Hmmm...how many tackles in the last game of basketball you watched? :shock:
How many points scored in the last game of AFL footy you watched? (don't count Saints games though).
Essendon v Collingwood...about 2000 points. Pretty boring game.

bulls*** comparison though, so what's the point (excuse the pun). Are you seriously comparing football to basketball? :|

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

bulls*** comparison though, so what's the point (excuse the pun). Are you seriously comparing football to basketball? :|
I absolutely am.

The likeness these days is scary.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
degruch wrote:

I absolutely am.

The likeness these days is scary.
It's like comparing you to a St Kilda supporter. :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigred wrote:mmmmmm

The four points just taste so good though.

And Rocket's tears taste like watermelon....
Clearly.

The most enjoyable win I've seen almost.

People (Saints fans) need to be realistic about the criticism though. It's warranted in it's context.
We, and whoever we play, look horrible therefore the folks who come home from work after a tough week and settle in in front of the TV for a night of entertaining footy ain't getting it.

Everything I've read is absolutely true.

The most important thing is though, who gives a f**k? Not me.

If they start handing out flags to the most entertaining team then I'll be concerned - but until then I don't care.
Agree with a large part of that, not sure it needed the f bomb though...

We are 5th in the most goals scored this year, only 3 behind the dogs, I would argue that we haven't made a habit of this 'ugly style' of play so far this year.

Losing Friday night footy would be a small price to pay as a supporter if it meant getting another premiership, it's up to the club to weigh up the costs in regards to sponsors etc.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Supporters love their club to show heart and a will to win -we have it in buckets loads..the kind of club people want to be a member of.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

People (Saints fans) need to be realistic about the criticism though. It's warranted in it's context.
We, and whoever we play, look horrible therefore the folks who come home from work after a tough week and settle in in front of the TV for a night of entertaining footy ain't getting it.

If they start handing out flags to the most entertaining team then I'll be concerned - but until then I don't care.

We are 5th in the most goals scored this year, only 3 behind the dogs, I would argue that we haven't made a habit of this 'ugly style' of play so far this year.

Losing Friday night footy would be a small price to pay as a supporter if it meant getting another premiership, it's up to the club to weigh up the costs in regards to sponsors etc.
Our last 3 have been pretty 'ugly' to the neutral supporter.

But why do Saints fans care?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

No, our win against Freo was not ugly, it was a good attacking game...

I certainly don't :)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

True.

3 of the last 4 have been 'ugly' to the neutral supporter.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

True.

Nah, can't agree with you there, most neutral supporters enjoy Collingwood losing...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

True.

Nah, can't agree with you there, most neutral supporters enjoy Collingwood losing...
Game of the season so far...who could be upset about that (other than Filth supporters)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's no question we play ugly footy, especially when we don't have Riewoldt.

- The media are reporting this. This is their job. They have no vested interest in promoting unsightly football, but they do acknowledge we showed enough to win.
- We're entitled to be happy - or annoyed - with how we play. Some of us love, attacking, Geelong-type footy, others don't care, so long as we win.
- Will it cost us members? I don't think so, winning seems to be the barometer of membership at St Kilda.
- Is it a style of football that can win us a premiership? It's hard to say - we got very close last year but didn't have the extra gear when we needed it.
- What is good is that we're racking up wins, all of which becomes very important when we get Riewoldt back.

What's clear to me is that we're only a top four team without Riewoldt. With him, we're a premiership contender.

So if we can just keep getting the wins in his absence, no matter how they come, I don't really mind.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:- The media are embellishing this. This is their job.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, I actually find the Bulldogs style of the ball pinging from one end of the ground to the other with both teams kicking over 100 points to be the most boring footy of all.

I'm probably not really the best one to comment though, I can't sit through an AFL match these days full stop unless the Saints are playing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:For what it's worth, I actually find the Bulldogs style of the ball pinging from one end of the ground to the other with both teams kicking over 100 points to be the most boring footy of all.

I'm probably not really the best one to comment though, I can't sit through an AFL match these days full stop unless the Saints are playing.
While watching attacking football has its place, I do enjoy a hard physical struggle.

Last night was ugly, no doubt about that. Just as the game against Fremantle was attractive.

However I have had enough of pitiful St.Kilda teams with no defensive ability, and no mental toughness.

I enjoy seeing my team 'tough out' a game and win what they probably should lose.

I suppose I shouldn'rt worry, but some broadcasters carry on about one crap game like it is the end of the world and that St.Kilda will drive people form the game.

Well our record 39k membership would seem to belie that dommsayer hyperbole.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PJ
SS Life Member

What is also clear is that St.Kilda seem to have several game styles. Our versatility is growing, we can be cinderella or the ugly step sisters from week to week and even during the same game - never boring or why would they be talking about us that much.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Finna
Club Player

PJ wrote:What is also clear is that St.Kilda seem to have several game styles. Our versatility is growing, we can be cinderella or the ugly step sisters from week to week and even during the same game - never boring or why would they be talking about us that much.
Great Post.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:The media are embellishing this.
Well, you might as well ignore it. Seems to fire a lot of people up around here. Everyone's got an opinion.

FWIW, that was the lowest aggregate scoring game at Etihad Stadium. To think they're embellishing is a little crude.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
degruch wrote:The media are embellishing this.
Well, you might as well ignore it. Seems to fire a lot of people up around here. Everyone's got an opinion.

FWIW, that was the lowest aggregate scoring game at Etihad Stadium. To think they're embellishing is a little crude.
To sum up our 'style' for 2010 based on one game in R5 of the season is a little crude too, but embellishing any sceric of truth is what these 'sports journalists' get paid for. Of course it fires me up that our club is the whipping boy of the AFL year after year, doesn't it for you too?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

One of the things I did like about the game was that there were at least some physical contests. The most boring games to me are where the ball goes from end to end without any body contact. Would have been nice to see a few more goals last night but the skill errors form both sides saw to that.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
ace
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Saints footy is played by elite athletes who exert themselves to utmost possible for a human being.

Basketball is played by slow moving dinosaurs who waddle up and down a tiny postage stamp.
Oh referee he obstructed me, and my name is Michael Jordan and I am paid tens of millions a month, so can I have some free throws.
Otherwise the spectators will be more interested in the sexy young girls routines and Nike wont pay me $100 for every pair of shoes they sell.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Clearly.

Agree with this, it was very enjoyable, maybe because we continue to show them up as pretenders.

Also agree on the criticism, it's warranted, forget the Mark Robinson hysteria stuff, but the rest is fine, Channel 7 were OK. You can't balme them, they pay so much money they need entertainment.

Did we really expect the game to reach much more heights than it did? I didn't, although may have thought the score would be a little higher :lol:

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Our game plan when poorly executed like against Port and the Dogs (except 5 mins) can be tough to watch, and Im sure I wouldn't like to watch us play at the moment if I wasn't a Saints fan, but, if we win Iam happy. And if we were to win a flag with poor execution in three ugly finals I could not care less.

When executed our game plan is great to watch. Roo's absence is obvious, but the loss of Grams excieting, yet some time wasteful run and carry has been a big factor in our often stagnent look in the past two weeks.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:There's no question we play ugly footy, especially when we don't have Riewoldt.

- The media are reporting this. This is their job. They have no vested interest in promoting unsightly football, but they do acknowledge we showed enough to win.
Quite right its the media's job to report it, not editorialise.
Mark Robinson's article concentrating on the AFL and how they would view it, is not reporting.

Too many in the media are interested in is sensationalising everything and getting their name up in lights.