Lyon's Coaching

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

wraiyth wrote:
ace wrote:Obstinate, Rodan was allowed to run free. Jones should have tagged him after half time.
No, no, the coaching was fine tonight, just see all the comments in this thread. Nevermind that we couldnt take a mark inside Forward 50, dont try someone else down there. Dont tag their best player. Dont try Blake in the ruck when we're getting beaten in the hitouts. Dont try Gardy at FF.
One trick pony was the wrong phrase, but he looked it tonight because it SEEMED like there were a lack of changes when they could/should have been made
Gardy spent plenty of time in the forward 50. Blake will never ruck again, he is too good down back. Notice Kosi rucking? Don't know about Rodan, but how can you blame Ross for players not taking marks? Perhaps he should have sent Dave Misson out there to pull one down? Fair dinkum get a grip.

If you are looking for underperformers, RL is last on the list.

On top are Peake, McQ and R Clarke

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Statsman wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:seriously why cant the morons who obviously dont really care about the saints and just come on here to troll just be banned...
It is possible to be a passionate supporter of the club and also be critical when they perform poorly. Surely we shouldn't be pumping them up tonight simply because we're supporters. Lavish them with praise when they perform well, such as against the Filth and Freo, but also be prepared to criticize when they don't deliver to the standard we (and they) expect.
There is quite a difference between constructive criticism and hysteria. Point me towards a constructive piece of criticism on this board tonight. If you can find more than one post, you are doing better than I.

As supporters, we should be behind the team, not using players and coaches as scapegoats. If you were seriously to take the so called advice on this forum tonight, we would have no coach and no team next week except for Gilbert.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
wraiyth
Club Player

So it is the coaches fault that the forwards couldn't take a mark in the forward 50. Milne must have dropped half a dozen and Kosi three. So thats something the coach can control from the box on the night.
Never said that, but if something isn't working, why persist with it?
You should apply for the coaching position now.

At least we would have a good laugh week in week out.
What, you've never had an opinon when things could be done differently? Flash back a few years ago when we were down at half-time against Hawthorn by 7 goals, Blake goes into the ruck, gets half a dozen clearances in the second half and kicked a few goals.
Bit of flexibility couldn't have done much worse tonight.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Lets face it... both the players AND the coaching panel were piss poor tonight. Anyone who thinks or says otherwise is tossing themselves!

wasaintsfan
Club Player

no we shouldnt lavish them with praised they played poorly...

yet ppl sit there bagging the same few ppl.. get over it why not bag out others

wanna go by this game okk lets go

gardiner 7 pos 10 ho
hayes 23 pos 11 tackles but gave away 4 frees
armitage only 4 tackles (shouldve had much more in this style game)
baker only 4 tackles read above
milne.. 1 goal which was a freak goal 3 frees against
king 6 disposals 16 hit outs 2 frees against
nick dal santo only 18 posessions
dawson another quiet game
kozi only 1 behind as a forward 3 frees against
clarke.. aqward quiet game

and i could keep going... are we going to make 10 changes??? or is just picking on a select few your style?

wraiyth
Club Player

And those stats seem to only enforce the point that maybe there should have been some more changes from the coaches box. Brogan alone had more hitouts than Gardiner & King combined. Kosi and Milne couldn't do anything in the forward line. And the hacks posting earlier in the thread reckon it was good coaching to continue with a setup that clearly wasn't working.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

We do rely on individuals I believe - contrary to popular belief.

No Gram, no Ray, and no Roo and we were reeky tonight.

3 key players out is tough. But against Port shouldn't have really mattered. As I've said all along, we aren't that wonderful but have been lucky enough to have wonderful players on the park for 2 years.

That's not very different to the other teams though. But puts into perspective where we're at - a good team that needs our good players to carry out our game plan and to win. Not some magically wonderfully coached juggernaut that has no flaws.

Lyon has coached that way for 4 years. With good players out there it works. Like any team and any coach with that type of style - take several good players out and of course you'll struggle.

We had some very, very ordinary players tonight.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:seriously why cant the morons who obviously dont really care about the saints and just come on here to troll just be banned....
YOU are the moron if you assume that the original poster doesnt really care about the Saints and is a troll. Most if not all posters here are passionate Saints supporters who bleed when we lose.

Dont forget this is an open forum and people are entitled to their opinion without being wrongly abused and accused by f-wits like you.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:We do rely on individuals I believe - contrary to popular belief.

3 key players out is tough. But against Port shouldn't have really mattered. As I've said all along, we aren't that wonderful but have been lucky enough to have wonderful players on the park for 2 years.

That's not very different to the other teams though. But puts into perspective where we're at - a good team that needs our good players to carry out our game plan and to win. Not some magically wonderfully coached juggernaut that has no flaws.

Lyon has coached that way for 4 years. With good players out there it works. Like any team and any coach with that type of style - take several good players out and of course you'll struggle.

Oh, a negative OP about Lyon and look who pops up.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:We do rely on individuals I believe - contrary to popular belief.

??

I'm defending the coach.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:

??

I'm defending the coach.
Yeah, I thought RF's post was pretty fair and close to the mark.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
wasaintsfan
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:seriously why cant the morons who obviously dont really care about the saints and just come on here to troll just be banned....
YOU are the moron if you assume that the original poster doesnt really care about the Saints and is a troll. Most if not all posters here are passionate Saints supporters who bleed when we lose.

Dont forget this is an open forum and people are entitled to their opinion without being wrongly abused and accused by f-wits like you.
yep and ross lyon is a useless coach... its all his fault kosi never left ff once.. no nothing he did nothing in the coaches box.. he never even got us to a grand final last year

should sack him now and get GT back.. yep thatll be the way to do it
as for my comment about morons.. it wasnt at this guys post in particular its about every single person on this site bagging out players.....

but hey abuse they guy whos trying to be upbeat about the saints and that has faith in a coach who turned a bunch of cripples into a team that was just shy of winning a flag against possibly the best team ever in the afl :)

Quixote
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: We had some very, very ordinary players tonight.

Yes and Peake will be dropped, mark my words.

McQ is borderline.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The problem tonight was not having 3 players out...

It was that many of the 22 who played tonight had quite ordinary games when Port were on their games.

The team play by and large held up and Port could not score highly or often...

But the Saints were very poor in going forward....but not so much because of the structures, but because players dropped very gettable marks (ie Kosi several,. Milne several etc)...and that many handballs and kicks were too wayward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints43
Club Player

maverick wrote:

The avatars are in the top left. If you look to right of that you can read the words...

wraiyth
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:

yep and ross lyon is a useless coach... its all his fault kosi never left ff once.. no nothing he did nothing in the coaches box.. he never even got us to a grand final last year

as for my comment about morons.. it wasnt at this guys post in particular its about every single person on this site bagging out players.....

but hey abuse they guy whos trying to be upbeat about the saints and that has faith in a coach who turned a bunch of cripples into a team that was just shy of winning a flag against possibly the best team ever in the afl :)
Maybe stop exaggerating everything and discuss the point at hand? Do you think RL did everything he could have from the coaches box tonight to try and win us the game? We had the same structure, most players played one position all night and we struggled. If you think the coaching tonight was perfect and a few changes couldn't have made the difference, then maybe we were watching different games.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:

??

I'm defending the coach.
Yeah, I thought RF's post was pretty fair and close to the mark.
Really which part.
The part saying Ray is a key player.
Or the part saying we should beat Port no matter what
Or the part again saying how lucky we are with injuries
or the part saying we rely on individuals

Just another spam post adding nothing new, again.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

1 loss JESUS CHRIST :evil: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:

The original poster never said Lyon was useless and should be sacked. He merely said that he thought Lyon could have tried some different things. Fair comment, I'd say. I also didnt read anywhere where he said that St Kilda should get Grant Thomas back either.

You're the one sounding like the troll!

Keep up the posts - we need some more tossers to abuse!

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

wasaintsfan wrote:its all his fault kosi never left ff once..
He was rucking at some point.. don't think it was for very long though.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

i dont personally think any changes wouldve saved us the game tonight..

our disposal was poor
our pressure lacked

and we plan looked flat

if it was more of a game like the gf well a few changes wouldve saved it

but with the way the boys performed tonight we had no right to win what so ever and people need to lift

dropping clarke, kosi or dawson isnt going to make it happen

rewatch that first quarter it shouldve been about 7 goals to 2-3 goals at quarter time we were lucky to be in the match as long as we were

no change wouldve saved us from that dismal performance

wasaintsfan
Club Player

Gabba wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:its all his fault kosi never left ff once..
He was rucking at some point.. don't think it was for very long though.
i was being sarcastic :P he was all over the ground just couldnt get in it

SaintDippa
Club Player

Ross' only concern at the moment is if an elimination final is played in the wet. Skills tonight were appalling.

And Kosi needs contact lenses. He can't be that unco, surely.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:4 losses in 30 games and he's a one trick pony?
Yes, shame on Ross Lyon! :lol: Appalling record! Just hopeless!! :lol: :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
wraiyth
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:
sainta wrote:4 losses in 30 games and he's a one trick pony?
Yes, shame on Ross Lyon! :lol: Appalling record! Just hopeless!! :lol: :lol:
Read the post where I said I should have clarified 'tonight'. Remember never to badly phrase something on this forum, lest it doesnt get discussed and rather you just get abused for being a hater.