luke ball and how we act tomorrow night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Found a link on big footy quoting sportal article 6/10/06 so GT would have been gone by then. But only by a couple of weeks, and we wouldn't have had a new couch yet. We can assume negotiations we well under way before GT was sacked though. So in those circs, I wonder who did the actual signing. Didn't they put SHeldon in that position in the interim.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274632

So we can safely put to bed this notion that GT signed Bally on his famous overpriced contract.
Fine by me. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. I did think it was a GT signing and done a bit earlier in 2006 but it appears I was wrong...I can admit it :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Found a link on big footy quoting sportal article 6/10/06 so GT would have been gone by then. But only by a couple of weeks, and we wouldn't have had a new couch yet. We can assume negotiations we well under way before GT was sacked though. So in those circs, I wonder who did the actual signing. Didn't they put SHeldon in that position in the interim.

So we can safely put to bed this notion that GT signed Bally on his famous overpriced contract.
Fine by me. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. I did think it was a GT signing and done a bit earlier in 2006 but it appears I was wrong...I can admit it :wink:
I wasnt having a go at you. I didnt even know you had said that previously. Nothing wrong with being wrong though. i have made a career out of it.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I wasnt having a go at you. I didnt even know you had said that previously. Nothing wrong with being wrong though. i have made a career out of it.
I know you weren't having a go at me. Just admiting I was wrong though....doesn't happen often (that I admit it) :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

But not the notion that he had nothing to do with it....

As it would be a pretty fair bet that the details were done and dusted by the time the axe fell on Sept 12. Though to be fair big$$ would always have been offered about then, though $600k pa does seem over the odds.

Ball was very fortunate he signed that year nand not 12 months later.

Fortunate too that Pies really wanted him.
Ball looks to be one lucky lad with $$$. Maybe he can let me know a few lotto numbers :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But not the notion that he had nothing to do with it....

As it would be a pretty fair bet that the details were done and dusted by the time the axe fell on Sept 12. Though to be fair big$$ would always have been offered about then, though $600k pa does seem over the odds.

Ball was very fortunate he signed that year nand not 12 months later.

Fortunate too that Pies really wanted him.
Ball looks to be one lucky lad with $$$. Maybe he can let me know a few lotto numbers :wink:
The point is that the people who sacked Gt could have ripped up that contract if they thought it was a stupid contract. They chose not to. They signed him under their terms.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well full points for research saintnick. nice job. certainly proves me wrong (but only by a couple of weeks :wink: ) . i guess what it probably came down to do was good luck/timing and lukes manager must have really done a great sell job.

by good luck/timing - i mean the club would have been desperate for a good news story at that moment in time - and lo and behold lukey boy was in the right place at the right time and got himself a lucky lotto ticket.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 08 Apr 2010 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintnick12
Club Player

No worries Con. I, like you, thought it was by GT during the season. I was looking for the date and found it to be later so thought I'd better post it, even though I disproved my own arguement... :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas was the one who drew up the contract that put Ball on $600,000!

FAIR DINKUM

As of last Monday Thomas rated Ball as being in the top five or six elite midfielders in the competition!

Are those DNA results in yet?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Grant Thomas was the one who drew up the contract that put Ball on $600,000!

FAIR DINKUM

As of last Monday Thomas rated Ball as being in the top five or six elite midfielders in the competition!

it would appear that thomas was long gone when luke signed his last contract with the saints.....my....your face should be red..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :oops: :twisted:

"Ball a Saint again
Sportal
Friday, 6 October 2006 5:45:27 PM AEDT

Star St Kilda midfielder and 2006 skipper Luke Ball has signed a new three-year deal with the Saints.

The Saints are in the midst of a search for their new coach, but can tick an important box now that the 22-year-old has re-committed to the club.

"I love the club and they have been so good to me," Ball told saints.com.au. "We have a strong list and I want to continue playing alongside these boys."

Ball has played 86 matches and booted 43 goals for the Saints since joining the club from Xavier College and the Sandringham Dragons with the second selection overall at the 2001 NAB AFL Draft.

He was equal first in last year's best and fairest after finishing second the year before and was also an All-Australian in 2005. In 2004 he also represented Australia in the International Rules series and was part of the St Kilda side that won the pre-season grand final.

He struggled with groin soreness throughout 2006 and finished outside the top 10 in the club best and fairest. "

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
CORDZ
Club Player

Ball Bag

Bally thought he was too good for us! Captain or not he was not the player he once was. I quote Clint Eastwood: " A man's got to accept his limitations" bally didn't accept his so he left for more money - disloyal! Now Collingwood are going to pay the price by believing he is what he once was.
As for bagging him, I don't think it's required as he's no threat to lose us the game. :twisted:

"That's ahh...quite a stutter you've got there, Ken!"
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Grant Thomas was the one who drew up the contract that put Ball on $600,000!

FAIR DINKUM

it would appear that thomas was long gone when luke signed his last contract with the saints.....my....your face should be red..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :oops: :twisted:

"Ball a Saint again
Sportal

Star St Kilda midfielder and 2006 skipper Luke Ball has signed a new three-year deal with the Saints.

The Saints are in the midst of a search for their new coach, but can tick an important box now that the 22-year-old has re-committed to the club.

"I love the club and they have been so good to me," Ball told saints.com.au. "We have a strong list and I want to continue playing alongside these boys."

Ball has played 86 matches and booted 43 goals for the Saints since joining the club from Xavier College and the Sandringham Dragons with the second selection overall at the 2001 NAB AFL Draft.

He was equal first in last year's best and fairest after finishing second the year before and was also an All-Australian in 2005. In 2004 he also represented Australia in the International Rules series and was part of the St Kilda side that won the pre-season grand final.

He struggled with groin soreness throughout 2006 and finished outside the top 10 in the club best and fairest. "
LOL, are you really that thick?

Which bit of Thomas was the one that drew up the contract that put Ball on $600,000, did you not get?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM

last monday? that is hilarious if true. he is about 6th best at collingwood.
id certainly take swan, pendlebury, dids, neon leon and sidebottom over him any day of the week if offered. id probably even take that knob lockyer and i cant stand him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of who signed him, it was a shocking decison to put a GOp on such coin.

All parties, GT, Butterss, and most of the board are long gone from the club, and thankfully so are deals like that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

BALL

I will call his name whenever he is in possession and expect the umpires to award st Kilda a free kick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

"Ball a Saint again
Sportal

Which bit of Thomas was the one that drew up the contract that put Ball on $600,000, did you not get?

so you say......where's your proof...???...i thought all along it was kenny....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I'll forever despise Luke Ball now for the way he has acted but I'm beyond the point of caring enough to boo his every possesion...

More importantly however I'm seeing the game with a couple of Collingwood supporting mates so I hope to god that Armitage plays better than Ball... as the Armo v Ball debate was very prominent during the off season...
How did he actually act for you to despise him? From what i can gather on here he is a hack who wouldnt have got a game so decided to leave. Back on topic, never understood what a boo actually is so i havent bood anyone. Not starting this week on a player who decided he isnt good enough to get a game at our club so he left.
yeah good point. what the hell is a boo? pretty weird really when u think about it. does it go back to roman times or something?

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Nothing wrong with being wrong though. i have made a career out of it.
A career huh! Which of the following is your real name.
Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Peter Garrett, John Brumby or Steven Bracks.
OR are you a former AFL footballer Justin Madden.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Nothing wrong with being wrong though. i have made a career out of it.
A career huh! Which of the following is your real name.
Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Peter Garrett, John Brumby or Steven Bracks.
OR are you a former AFL footballer Justin Madden.
maybe all of the above.... :wink: :wink: :lol:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

"Ball a Saint again
Sportal

so you say......where's your proof...???...i thought all along it was kenny....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah doesn't surprise me!

Thomas drew up all the contracts, he insisted on it, controlled the whole football department and even if he wasn't doing his job properly, it would be outrageous to suggest that Ball's contract was not worked out during the season,

this would be total dereliction of duty, being in total control of player contracts and to not have things worked out already by years end with a player out of contract who Thomas still regards ( as of last Monday ) as being in the top five or six elite midfielders in the competition,

if Thomas rates Ball that highly as recently as three days ago, he probably thought $600,000 was a bargain in 2006,

anyway Thomas was the person who wrote up the contracts because he insisted on it and Thomas is the person who put Ball on $600,000

Nepotism?

Your gullibility and naivety knows no bounds!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
anyway Thomas was the person who wrote up the contracts because he insisted on it and Thomas is the person who put Ball on $600,000

give it a rest,,,he was sacked by then...wtf makes you think that buttarse would honour something done by someone he had no respect for...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...you have been exposed...and...not for the first time either.... :roll: :roll:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

give it a rest,,,he was sacked by then...wtf makes you think that buttarse would honour something done by someone he had no respect for...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...you have been exposed...and...not for the first time either.... :roll: :roll:
You're incredibly naive!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

You're incredibly naive!

well.....one of us is.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Really let's p!ss off our skipper at the time by withdrawing a contract already verbally agreed to...these type of contracts take months to organise, seems likely to me that GT organised it...we are all great in hindsight, bet very few at the time thought the deal was way over the top.

GT organised it and it turned out badly, at the time I don't think it was that bad personally, he was after all AA, B&F and skipper at 21/22.

How we can blame GT for this is beyond me.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Really let's p!ss off our skipper at the time by withdrawing a contract already verbally agreed to...these type of contracts take months to organise, seems likely to me that GT organised it...we are all great in hindsight, bet very few at the time thought the deal was way over the top.

GT organised it and it turned out badly, at the time I don't think it was that bad personally, he was after all AA, B&F and skipper at 21/22.

How we can blame GT for this is beyond me.

i'm not the one trying to blame thomas for anything...all i'm saying is that thomas wasn't a signatory to luke's contract ffs....it was sheldon......much as that pisses b4e off..it would appear to be the truth...and i agree with you that no one was complaining at the time...certainly not me...i only complained after the club did piss off our former captain.....ffs..... :roll: :roll:

none of us on here know sfa about those negotiations...sheldon could have added an extra nought for all i know.....
Last edited by stinger on Thu 08 Apr 2010 11:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I notice Malthouse has Luke Ball selected on a wing.

Clearly he hopes to exploit Ball's blistering pace and deep penetrating kicks. :lol: :lol: :lol: