Round 1 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I notice that most posters have McQualter starting on the ground and Geary on the bench, I personally think Geary has gone past McQualter now.
loved his game last night and brings more run to the side. Has developed a mans body now and cannot be pushed off the ball like he used to. That goal last night was just hardwork paying off.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Munga
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
Munga wrote:F SCHNIEDER KOSCHITZKE MILNE
HF GEARY RIEWOLDT MCQUALTER
C MONTAGNA HAYES DAL SANTO
HB GRAM S.FISHER BAKER
B GILBERT DAWSON GODDARD
FOL KING ARMITAGE JONES
INT BLAKE GWILT
EMG CLARKE RAY MCEVOY
STANLEY LYNCH STEVEN
A.SMITH PEAKE EDDY

A bit early, but two spots up for grabs. Assuming Gardiner is injured/not in form.
playing two short on the pine
Sorry, I meant it like that. In my earlier post I said there were two spots available.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Munga wrote:F SCHNIEDER KOSCHITZKE MILNE
HF GEARY RIEWOLDT MCQUALTER
C MONTAGNA HAYES DAL SANTO
HB GRAM S.FISHER BAKER
B GILBERT DAWSON GODDARD
FOL KING ARMITAGE JONES
INT BLAKE GWILT
EMG CLARKE RAY MCEVOY
STANLEY LYNCH STEVEN
A.SMITH PEAKE EDDY

A bit early, but two spots up for grabs. Assuming Gardiner is injured/not in form.
playing two short on the pine
Sorry, I meant it like that. In my earlier post I said there were two spots available.
woops

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

my team for round one

assuming no lenny, gardiner, raph and blake (poor old jason looks tired, sore and not quite in the groove, even before missing last night)

so here goes

Baker dawson Gwilt (too go to goodes again)

Gram Fisher Gilbert

joey goddard jones

mcqualter roo lynch

milne kosi schneider

mcevoy dal armitage

king geary ray peake

Lynch is my wild card

whilst Rhys looks like been anything

I thought last night Lynch looked like he was ready to become that lead up forward we have been busting for

fqf

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I notice that most posters have McQualter starting on the ground and Geary on the bench, I personally think Geary has gone past McQualter now.
loved his game last night and brings more run to the side. Has developed a mans body now and cannot be pushed off the ball like he used to. That goal last night was just hardwork paying off.
Was that the goal that began with him putting his head over the ball? Very impressive stuff from the boy...

saintnick12
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Since we haven't seen Gardy yet, you would have to assume that Kingy & Ben will be our rucks come round 1.

I'm loving Ben's development this pre season, his hands are so clean & his ruckwork has improved out of sight. He's also very adept at finding space & being a link in the midfield.

I'm not sold on Miles yet... he seems a very old fashioned no frills footballer but I'm not sure he's ahead of Gwilt if Blake is out.

From the GF side-

Out- Judas, Raph, Gardy, (Blake)
In - Armo, Geary, Big Ben, (Gwilt)
I'm sorry, I just thought this was really funny. :lol: :lol:
I laughed out loud when I read this too....literally.
I don't hold that big of a grudge against him, more like if you don't want to be here then just go. But still made me laugh....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Mine's slightly different, unless Gardy and Raph play this week I doubt they play round 1:

B Baker Dawson Gilbert
HB Gwilt Blake Fisher
C Montagna Hayes Gram
HF Goddard Riewoldt Schneider
F Milne Kosi McQualter
R McEvoy Dal Santo Jones
INT King Armitage Geary Ray
On fringe or not fit
Gardiner
Clarke
Steven
Eddy
Peake
Dempster

I would love to see Tommy Lynch get a game early on, reckon he is exactly what we need up forward as a foil for Roo....just reckon Ross won't reckon he is ready...

rexy
SS Life Member

Dont see Peake being best 22, interested why so many do?

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Dont see Peake being best 22, interested why so many do?
Agreed. From what Ive seen so far.....hes the back up gut to Lovett he was recruited to be.....NOT best 22 for sure and I reckon Geary's run at present is more important...plus he plays saints footy.....

“Yeah….nah””
saint vince
Club Player

I am not really sure of the exact starting line up but surely Benny Mac is the number 1 ruck at the moment. He is as good as king in the ruck and he is better that Gardy around the ground.

Tackles hard good on the ground and uses it pretty smart.

I rekon he has probably even got Kos covered at Full forward at the moment. I rekon he will play most games.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Solar wrote:
Was that the goal that began with him putting his head over the ball? Very impressive stuff from the boy...
Be careful who you call "the boy", especially with your avatar.
Don't want to do a Bert Newton Cassius Clay.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spert
Saintsational Legend

Lyon will have looked at the GF team and thought the forward line was top-heavy. Gards and Kozi might be fighting it out for the ruck/ forward position this year. Of all our big blokes, only McEvoy is showing a bit of form and may be pushing King for a spot. Lyon will also be looking at getting more goals generally and I reckon another mobile, marking forward might be in line for a senior game, as sides are double -teaming Kozi..don't be surprised if Lynch gets a few games and Schneider plays up near the middle more.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Lyon will have looked at the GF team and thought the forward line was top-heavy. Gards and Kozi might be fighting it out for the ruck/ forward position this year. Of all our big blokes, only McEvoy is showing a bit of form and may be pushing King for a spot. Lyon will also be looking at getting more goals generally and I reckon another mobile, marking forward might be in line for a senior game, as sides are double -teaming Kozi..don't be surprised if Lynch gets a few games and Schneider plays up near the middle more.
That to me makes a lot of sense.

If anything up fwd we are predictable....its usually Roo/Milne kicking the goals with cameos from sneids (whose been great) and Kos (who IMO has been ordinary). All this while our HFF is usually non existent......a genuine option like a Lynch could really do a Mark Williams job and if Gram and co lower their eyes to use him we may be even tougher to stop up there...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Solar wrote:
Be careful who you call "the boy", especially with your avatar.
Don't want to do a Bert Newton Cassius Clay.
A big :roll: to you....

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Question: Anyone think that Ray isnt such a lock in our best 22 anymore?

I'd appreciate thoughts.

And from what ive seen - I dont think Peake is anywhere near it at the moment.....
Think both will certainly play round one. Ray deserves to but I dont really think Peake does. I think they are important to our structure though and that is the most important thing at the saints.
Ray probably will play, but Peake is not playing Saints Footy and I would be surprised if he gets a guernsey in round one.
I agree with P66..

Peake should play and that will release Gram into the midfield to me more damaging IMO...

Just what is this crap that "Peake is not playing Saints Footy"

Peake is being groomed to play down back so that Gram can play in the midfield....

Gee, blind Freddie can see that, or are you just quoting the numb-nuts on the television???

How about a bit of originality :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Question: Anyone think that Ray isnt such a lock in our best 22 anymore?

I'd appreciate thoughts.

And from what ive seen - I dont think Peake is anywhere near it at the moment.....
Think both will certainly play round one. Ray deserves to but I dont really think Peake does. I think they are important to our structure though and that is the most important thing at the saints.
Ray probably will play, but Peake is not playing Saints Footy and I would be surprised if he gets a guernsey in round one.
I agree with P66..

Peake should play and that will release Gram into the midfield to me more damaging IMO...

Peake is being groomed to play down back so that Gram can play in the midfield....

Gee, blind Freddie can see that, or are you just quoting the numb-nuts on the television???

only problem with that theory is that he has played all over the ground is his first three games with the club..... not spcifically being groomed for the backline and gram was never that player for us last year.

As with every new player, they need to get used to the "brand" a team plays so it's a fair call to say peake hasn't got it down pat, hell it took the rest of them a couple of years of coaching from ross.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ace
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Since we haven't seen Gardy yet, you would have to assume that Kingy & Ben will be our rucks come round 1.

I'm loving Ben's development this pre season, his hands are so clean & his ruckwork has improved out of sight. He's also very adept at finding space & being a link in the midfield.

I'm not sold on Miles yet... he seems a very old fashioned no frills footballer but I'm not sure he's ahead of Gwilt if Blake is out.

From the GF side-

Out- Judas, Raph, Gardy, (Blake)
In - Armo, Geary, Big Ben, (Gwilt)

Judas only got 30 pieces of silver, Ball sold out for heaps more.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd appreciate thoughts.

I agree with P66..

Peake did well to play, watched the Kosi interview and he said that Peake got caught out when the storms hit and had to ditch his car and run the rest of the way to Etihad...missed all the team meetings etc.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Quite a funny tale.

Perhaps he has an excuse then for playing so ordinarily. No need for originality to see he had a poor game. Clangers all over. He looked rightfully pis*ed when the siren blew too. The look of a bloke who reckoned he should have done better becasue he HAS to take his opportunities.

Still, with Len (maybe) out, I reckon he'll get a chance in the starting 22 for Rd 1.

Ray - if the two are to be compared - was a far superior contibutor.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Quite a funny tale.

Perhaps he has an excuse then for playing so ordinarily. No need for originality to see he had a poor game. Clangers all over. He looked rightfully pis*ed when the siren blew too. The look of a bloke who reckoned he should have done better becasue he HAS to take his opportunities.

Still, with Len (maybe) out, I reckon he'll get a chance in the starting 22 for Rd 1.

Ray - if the two are to be compared - was a far superior contibutor.
Been watching Ray closely after his finals games last year I reckon he spectates too much and has dropped off 1 or 2% from his start last year.

Ray and Peake are very similar for mine.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If Lynch gets played in the NAB GF, and does well, he would have to be a chance for ROund 1. Remember in the GF we had Dempster at HF, and again against COllingwood. Lynch a much better option at this stage.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd appreciate thoughts.

I agree with P66..

I'm quoting our coach and players, who every time you see them interviewed talk about Saints Footy. In my opinion Peake is running around like a headless chook at the moment. It will take time for him to fit in and learn Saints Footy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd appreciate thoughts.

I agree with P66..

Peake lined up mostly on the wing last week.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...with the NAB GF to go audtions for Round 1 have been very interesting.

1/ Unfortunately Steven has been injured and so is a scratching.

2/ Armo has been good and so IMO is now lock for Round 1.

3/ HBF.. Raph os a scratching... and Gwilt has been more than Ok..and has probably done enough to squeeze out Dempster from the 22.

4/ Peake has not had enough impact to bea definate starter. His disposal remains quite poor and also crucially he has been caught way too often. Geary after a slow start has looked good and would definately bem in the mix for round one. Ray has been ok, but a little quiet. I would see him staying in and particualarly as Peake has been underwhelming. If Peake had been blitzing then Ray's spot may have been under more pressure.

5/ Big Ben has been quite good and in particular his around the ground work has been impressive. I have a feeling that the coaching panel will want to try and get 20 games into him to improve him as a player for this years finals. As it is I think he has been showing enough to have edged past King. Whether King gets round 1 gig may well depend how Gardiner goes against the Dogs if he plays. An ok effort by Gardi may see us going with Gardi and Ben.

6/ Zac has not been bad..but has been well short of last years form. however would be major surprise to not see play as FB in Round 1

7/ Stanley. His Freo game was quieter, but again he just seems to have the knack of being in the right spot at the right time with goals. He again demonstrating that for tall player tha he is very nimble and quite comparable toa smaller player. Would have to bea dark horse for game in Round One. The coaching panel may well be tempted to try and fast track him with senior games with an eye on the finals. However recent history would suggest more Sandy games.

So at present Armo is 100% in and Ben and Geary would seem to be likely starters to me.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

from the grand final team, I can see out Ball for obvious reasons, Raph, lack of match practice, King or Gardiner and probably Dempster, unless he gets game Saturday night and plays really well.
In will be Armitage, Gwilt, Geary and maybe Peake.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.