The Extra Ruckman. A good move going forward post King/Gardi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

xander
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
xander wrote:
That was 2 years ago. He had 3 effective disposals and 4 frees in the grand final so by your reasoning he must be a hack.
That's not my reasoning at all.
Okay well the way i see it your reasoning is because those players that Ross recruited didn't perform in the GF picking them was a failure and a waste. Is that what you mean?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
Okay well the way i see it your reasoning is because those players that Ross recruited didn't perform in the GF picking them was a failure and a waste. Is that what you mean?
Yes.

You play football to win GFs. You need to be able to perform in finals and in GFs.

That's why you exist as a footballer.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Actually you talked about recruitment in that thread, liar.
??

Did I talk about trusting the recruiters in that thread did I?

You'd want to be careful calling people liars. Lying is one of the lowest acts a human is capable of, and a true show of weakness.

If you're going to call someone a liar, you'd want to make sure they've actually lied.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:If you're going to call someone a liar, you'd want to make sure they've actually lied.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
xander
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
xander wrote:
Yes.

You play football to win GFs. You need to be able to perform in finals and in GFs.

That's why you exist as a footballer.
So by that reasoning anyone there are those who play well in a GF (good players) and those who don't (bad players). So out of curiosity do you think Riewoldt is a good player and was worth picking at #1 back in 2000? Surely based on your belief and his performance we must have wasted that pick.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote: Surely based on your belief and his performance we must have wasted that pick.
Come back and talk to me when you turn 17 and want to be fair dinkum.

Otherwise, you're simply wasting my time.

goodie
Club Player

Re: The Extra Ruckman. A good move going forward post King/G

Top4King wrote:Adam Pattison, Ben McEvoy and eventually Rhys Stanley.
We're looking at a smooth rucking transition over the next three/four years.
Blake McGrath too

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
??

You'd want to be careful calling people liars. Lying is one of the lowest acts a human is capable of, and a true show of weakness.

If you're going to call someone a liar, you'd want to make sure they've actually lied.
I so humbly apologise, for confusing the word recruitment with recruiters :roll:

We saw some areas which were under scrutiny in 2005-2008 apparently addressed in 2009 throughout the H&A season - however when we got to the finals those same issues reared thair heads again.

Recruitment, depth, Milne, mental toughness, seclection, game day coaching etc.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
??

I so humbly apologise, for confusing the word recruitment with recruiters :roll:

We saw some areas which were under scrutiny in 2005-2008 apparently addressed in 2009 throughout the H&A season - however when we got to the finals those same issues reared thair heads again.

Recruitment, depth, Milne, mental toughness, seclection, game day coaching etc.
And so you should apologise.

Recruitment was mentioned in the context of that thread.

It's context in this thread is completely different.

I accept your apology by the way.

xander
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
xander wrote: Surely based on your belief and his performance we must have wasted that pick.
Come back and talk to me when you turn 17 and want to be fair dinkum.

Otherwise, you're simply wasting my time.
Wasting your time? I'm not asking you to come on here or anything. It's your own choice to engage in these discussions. I'm just trying to understand your logic as Riewoldt didn't have a good GF just as Schneider or Gardiner didn't. If your believe that what makes a good player a good player is their performance in the GF then surely that means Riewoldt is not that great of a player does it not?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:I'm just trying to understand your logic
No, you're not. You're turning a reasonable discussion into a childish petty squabble.

Leave me out of it.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Dont forget Kosi as a back up ruckman who maybe should have been used in the GF.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Longwayfromhome wrote:Pattison couldn't get a kick in a kung fu fight. Richmond didn't want him. Why, Why, Why did we select him.
Would have thought our ruck stocks were OK. another speed demon would have been the order of the day surely !
so we only recruit players based on the club they come from?interesting.....hope Pavlich never wants to leave that shyte heap and come to Saints.......we'd be forced to overlook him...
difference is pav leaving on his own volition v pattison being moved on....

so yeah wed take pav. but no we would not take somone delisted at freo (peake wasnt de listed he requested trade)

LondonSaint
Club Player

Poor old Roger.. up to your tricks and stirring the pot again..

if you don't agree with or like the way our club is run... why don't you go and support some other club.. may i suggest the dockers? or even better.. quit watching football all together..and stick with something less contraversial.. like lawn bowls.. i'm sure the lads at your local bowls club would enjoy your company, even if it's just dribble..

i have to admit.. it is entertaining sometimes reading the dribble you write and the way you wind up people time and time again with your ill conceived logic (). But enough is enough.. go away, really.. no one is interested, or can be bothered with your opinion...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... smith-6826

Ross explains the rucking choice- and the reasoning behind it- most of which have been mentioned on this thread.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
footynut
Club Player

We picked up Adam Pattison in the draft and I dont think he'll get a game (ever). People forget about one of our rookies Steven Gaertner who is 199cm tall, mobile and fast enough to play anyway!!!

There was initially a question over his kicking skills however he was in the best several times last season in the VFL. I think he could of been our stop gap if we needed one!

This guy is goign to be a player!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

LondonSaint wrote: if you don't agree with or like the way our club is run... why don't you go and support some other club.. may i suggest the dockers? or even better.. quit watching football all together..and stick with something less contraversial.. like lawn bowls.. i'm sure the lads at your local bowls club would enjoy your company, even if it's just dribble..
Is that how it's supposed to work?

Follow blindly otherwise beat it?

I've never really worked like that.

Top4King
Club Player

kingy and gardo have between 1 and 4 years left respectively. ppl forget that they are 31/32 yo. they're not going to be around forever. we'll get a couple of good years left out of them including 2010 but then you have to have a view to the future. obviously matty drain has seen something in the ruckman that he likes. richmond may have been foolish to have de-listed him over the aging simmonds. i was down at punt road the other day and was not hugely impressed at their lack of hieght. hieght may be a valuable asset with the compromised draft effect. needless to say, brian lake was down there aswell having a look and a laugh at benny spraying them. thank god we didnt take benny cousins is all i can say as he is not improving so credit where it's due to the saintly recruitment staff, they clearly know a thing or two.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I don't mind this at all, although I don't remember having noticed him in a game. I like the fact he seems to be very determined and may be handy if King and Gardi both miss at any stage.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Top4King
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't mind this at all, although I don't remember having noticed him in a game. I like the fact he seems to be very determined and may be handy if King and Gardi both miss at any stage.
big ben is still green. in three or four years time his body may mature. until that day we need a made player.

shmic_s
Club Player

imo, the pattison pick up means ross thinks kosi is best left forward and blake best left in the backline.
gardi/king/mcevoy take the main rucking duties. kings on his last legs (or shoulders) and if one goes down we have the reserve ruck there and we dont have to mess with our forward/back structures.

i'm sure if king strugglling or gardi gets injured/suspended, and we went into the finals with just mcevoy or stanley, a few here would have wanted ross's head. i see this move as great list managment. covering all outcomes good and bad. and you never know, he could step up and knock mcevoy and king to the back of the line.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... smith-6826

Ross explains the rucking choice- and the reasoning behind it- most of which have been mentioned on this thread.
thanks saintbrat. makes sense the way he explains it

insurance
forward planning
hard to get rucks
no talent left at that stage of the draft.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Though Pattison is only 197cm...so what is his leap and mobility like?
Good.

He can avoid trams when drinking unlike some of his ex-teammates!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Though Pattison is only 197cm...so what is his leap and mobility like?
Good.

He can avoid trams when drinking unlike some of his ex-teammates!
What a crap post.