Forward Focus= Kosi article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Kosi is a gunna and will always be a gunna.
He's gunna do this and he's gunna do that. In the end he doesn't do anything for any length of time.
Supporters have always been taken in by the early draft pick and a couple of wonderful games during 2005. Even now some of us have him unlucky to be in top 10 players of the past 10 years or put him in the best team of the past yen years.
DELUSIONAL.
He is a good ordinary player at best. Maybe the club should have looked at a Fevola swap or indeed a Bradshaw swap.
Whatever happens in 2010, don't expect kosi to be leading the charge.
I wonder how our backline would hold up against kosi in an opposition guernsey. Even though he gets bagged on here I think other clubs would snap him up if he went in the draft

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Kosi is a gunna and will always be a gunna.
He's gunna do this and he's gunna do that. In the end he doesn't do anything for any length of time.
Supporters have always been taken in by the early draft pick and a couple of wonderful games during 2005. Even now some of us have him unlucky to be in top 10 players of the past 10 years or put him in the best team of the past yen years.
DELUSIONAL.
He is a good ordinary player at best. Maybe the club should have looked at a Fevola swap or indeed a Bradshaw swap.
I wonder how our backline would hold up against kosi in an opposition guernsey. Even though he gets bagged on here I think other clubs would snap him up if he went in the draft
Kosi reminds me a little bit of Nathan Thompson or even Jonathan Hay. Lots of promise. Hawks let them both go and won a premiership.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote:Kosi is a gunna and will always be a gunna.
DELUSIONAL.
Good ordinary at best, yet still somehow manages to keep his spot in the side. I realise I have little support on this thread, but I am glad Kosi belongs to St Kilda.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The matches where Roo is unavailable, if we did not have Kosi we would be thrashed on the forward line. He is definitely a required player. I would like to see Kosi and Roo play further apart though. I shudder every time they contest a mark together.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Longwayfromhome wrote:.
Good ordinary at best, yet still somehow manages to keep his spot in the side. I realise I have little support on this thread, but I am glad Kosi belongs to St Kilda.
reason for posting the Link as to show that Kosi is Looking forwardand sounds like the group is as well..- and prepared to work.... I too am glad he is ours and committed to staying so..
“
My goal now is to ... try to contribute again like I did last year and see where it takes me.

“In some ways I look at it as a last chance, so I’ll have to throw everything at it.â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Longwayfromhome wrote:Kosi is a gunna and will always be a gunna.
DELUSIONAL.
I'm with you Sainterk - don't despair :wink:

I find it amusing that when another top draft pick who poss didn't fufill his potential left the club on his own volition, ppl turned on him (me included) yet ppl seem quite happy to see the back of Kosi. Grass is always greener.

Others are proclaiming that we should bring a 700k a year FF in his place - or a 31 yr old from Brisbane :shock: The former would cause many of our players who are deservedly getting well paid to take a pay cut, the latter would mean that we would have a FF for maybe 2 years and then what???

Kosi's by no means perfect - but he's ours, and he's a hell of a lot better than most FF's running around. WE just expect a player similar to the next Stix Kernahan b/c of his #1 draft status.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:He could not have had too great a year. Full time FF is supposed to be your leading goal kicker. 45 not near enough for 20 matches. Lets hope he has a better return in 2010.
For the record, Kosi was tied for 16th in the league in Goals Per Game with 48 goals in 23. The 2.25 you put up would have tied him for 12th, though that wouldn't account for the finals of a number of players ahead and behind.

What interest me more than the idea he's "unproven" after 9 years is the polar views there still are on him. If we assume he's about to play his 3rd consecutive year as our FF, you'd have to say he is proven. A good but not great player who both benefits and suffers from playing in the same forward line (i.e. Roo takes best defender, but Kosi is a less frequent target and other teams specify extra men as a necessity against St Kilda) as one of the best in the game.

Both on the field and on the stats sheet, I was pretty happy with Kosi's 2009. Only 4 games (including the prelim) goalless, with only 2 where he kicked 5 or more - that's pretty consistently dangerous, he demands a defender, making Reiwoldt much harder to cover and giving opps to a 3rd tall. He also gave us 1.3 tackles per game, not bad for a big man (not great either - it's a pass mark, not a feature). 12th in the league in Marks.

The thing you'd most like to improve in a stats sense is the accuracy. He's got the attempts to equal guys significantly ahead of him - and while we're talking some of the best shots in the AFL, that is the FF job description, and how he goes from a pass mark to being a star.

I wouldn't have him top 10 either, but on the '09 Saints that's not saying much.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The thing you'd most like to improve is the effort, not the accuracy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
PJ
SS Life Member

The thing you'd most like to improve is the effort, not the accuracy.
I actually don't think it's effort, I believe he doesn't read the play that well. For my money Kosi gives plenty but is not the most intuitive or perceptive footballer going around.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

In a few games Kosi drifted into the backline and took telling marks when they were needed. And he did well on the ball occasionally. So it must be said that he is not purely a FF.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:The thing you'd most like to improve is the effort, not the accuracy.
Nope, I want the accuracy, I'm fine with his efforts.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:The thing you'd most like to improve is the effort, not the accuracy.
Think he was a pretty safe bet this year up until his hand injury?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
What has the hand injury got to do with accuracy. His hand didnt effect his kicking at training. Why are we always looking for excuses for Kosi.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
What has the hand injury got to do with accuracy. His hand didnt effect his kicking at training. Why are we always looking for excuses for Kosi.
His kicking wasn't the same (even at training) once he had to wear the glove. I don't excuse, I look at facts.

Accuracy for the tall forwards improved this year IMO.

Batnoe

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
His kicking wasn't the same (even at training) once he had to wear the glove. I don't excuse, I look at facts.

Accuracy for the tall forwards improved this year IMO.
Was one of our most reliable set shots for goal, especially before his hand injury and especially outside 40m...

His accuracy isnt too bad... I feel confident when he has it in his hands and lining up for goal

A great player... often played out of position. He is too short for a ruckmen yet he is agile enough to run most off their feet. I see Kosi and K Tippet as similar players and we have to use that. Play him 15m out from goal, and kick it over his head when his defender is playing in front of him. K Tippett would get a lot of marks because the Crows were very fleet footed and utilsed tippets strength which was marking outstretched while his defender was about 1m away from the ball. Kosi is a better pack mark and more courageous so it comes down to how well our mids use the ball is how much we can get from the big JK

midas_touch
Club Player

Had his best year for us, but isnt a superstar by any stretch of the imagination. Just a good, solid player.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)