Will we allow ball to.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Moods wrote: However Andrew Lovett was in a similar position last year, and managed to play his best footy yet this year, so it can still work. My guess is that it will be a 2 year contract, but conditional for parties in the seecond year.
O'Keefe from Sydney requested trade - didn't get it, worked through it and Did fairly well in their Best and Fairest.
O'keefe aslo wanted to leave to return to Vic .. Luke wants to stay in Vic but play for a diff team ... i dunno i look at Luke in a differant light after all of this
Must not have had a great opinion of Sammy Hamill when he came to the saints.
Are you suggesting that the Hammill scenario was the same as the Ball scenario?
Not the same but he left a place he had been for at least 5 years to go to another Victorian club for more money. I would say Bally has as much reason to want to leave the Saints as Sammy did for wanting to leave Carlton. At least Sammy was definately going to get a game each week.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think it was as much the money as the fact that his Club President got up and made a drunken rant about him at the B&F

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Moods wrote: However Andrew Lovett was in a similar position last year, and managed to play his best footy yet this year, so it can still work. My guess is that it will be a 2 year contract, but conditional for parties in the seecond year.
O'Keefe from Sydney requested trade - didn't get it, worked through it and Did fairly well in their Best and Fairest.
O'keefe aslo wanted to leave to return to Vic .. Luke wants to stay in Vic but play for a diff team ... i dunno i look at Luke in a differant light after all of this
Not the same but he left a place he had been for at least 5 years to go to another Victorian club for more money. I would say Bally has as much reason to want to leave the Saints as Sammy did for wanting to leave Carlton. At least Sammy was definately going to get a game each week.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Westaway (or any other Saints official) has publicly lambasted Luke Ball?

ALso, I believe that Carlton offered to pay Hammill the same as St Kilda (less than Sydney), but couldn't afford to show the total salary 'on their books'?

Hammill wasn't shy in asking for more money from other Clubs. Ball's management has (amongst many other claims) seemingly wanted to distance him from any assertion that money is playing a part in his desire to leave.
Are you suggesting that it is?

And I reckon that Ball would definitely get a game each week at Melbourne, who are in a similar position to what we were back then.
Also I don't think Hammill declared he would only go to a particular CLub?

No, there seems far too many differences to use the Hammill case as an analogy for the Ball one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think Westaway (or any other Saints official) has publicly lambasted Luke Ball?

ALso, I believe that Carlton offered to pay Hammill the same as St Kilda (less than Sydney), but couldn't afford to show the total salary 'on their books'?

Hammill wasn't shy in asking for more money from other Clubs. Ball's management has (amongst many other claims) seemingly wanted to distance him from any assertion that money is playing a part in his desire to leave.

And I reckon that Ball would definitely get a game each week at Melbourne, who are in a similar position to what we were back then.

No, there seems far too many differences to use the Hammill case as an analogy for the Ball one.
My main point was that the poster basically said he couldnt look at Bally in the same light anymore. I dont see why you would think that but ytou could also respect Hammill for coming to us. IMO whether Bally leaves or not I will still think of him exactly the same way as I did 6 weeks ago.

Milton66
SS Life Member

If a players leaves us, he's a money hungry grub.

If a player comes to us, he realises what a great club we are and that he should have always played for us.

Simple, really. What's all the fuss about? :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

My main point was that the poster basically said he couldnt look at Bally in the same light anymore. I dont see why you would think that but ytou could also respect Hammill for coming to us. IMO whether Bally leaves or not I will still think of him exactly the same way as I did 6 weeks ago.
Whilst I prefer him to stay, I won't ahve a problem if he goes.
We've had worse players than him leave.
We've had better players than him leave.

We haven't had many who before/on leaving have given our CLub a 'bake' like Connors has.
The 'untenable' comment, IMHO, was extremely disgraceful and disrespectful to our Coach and Club. And it has not been publicly withdrawn either.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:If a players leaves us, he's a money hungry grub.

If a player comes to us, he realises what a great club we are and that he should have always played for us.

Simple, really. What's all the fuss about? :lol:
Summed up nicely :)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh and we traded #4 for Hamill. What did those pr!cks from the filth offer us for Ball again?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Oh and we traded #4 for Hamill. What did those pr!cks from the filth offer us for Ball again?
Exactly - All clubs come to the trade table. Except Collingwood.

I believe they also got Sam Cranage, dunno if that was part of the same tade.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Oh and we traded #4 for Hamill. What did those pr!cks from the filth offer us for Ball again?
I dont think that changes how you feel about a player.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Saints should sign the Knacker for a year...hope he has a cracker and
then try and trade him in the compromised draft for a pick much better than what was offered for him recently...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Hammil left cos he thought john elliot was world class prick. he was also lured by the blight factor... I think Hammil has been proven right.

Whats Ball's gripe again? 3x330 k is not enough?
Ball is dreaming. reality check. Only team that will pay anyywhere near he thinks hes worth are melbourne.

did we hear the dogs, cats or hawks enquire about him?

benengel14
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
SainterK wrote:My take....

Luke often talks about how this year was the kick up the bum he needed, whilst I think that alot of what he said was lip service at the time, I am beginning to suspect that the real kick up the bum (should he realise it) was perhaps the lack of suitors during trade, and seeing just how highly Collingwood rated his services with their "offer" to the club....

One year or two, I don't really care, I just want the decision to be a real one, and not feel like he is just settling for the Saints....
Good insight, SainterK. He is a smart guy and I think he will be struggling with the lack of suitors. We are the team to be with for 2010, there is no doubt about that. So I reckon Luke and/or his "manager" have erred big time.
Totally agree. Didn't buy into the lip service either - I'm not sure why he bothered - maybe he just gave the media what they wanted to hear.

As far as analogy goes, what about the Heath Black trade?
Black played just as well for us in his extra year of service I felt. While its not the romantic image we want of a player 'bleeding for the club', - he is a professional and will perform accordingly (I think).

The simple "run and spread" criteria that stops his getting game time - doesn't sit well with me either. More to it than that I would assume.

If ever a player has been haunted by his draft pick, it was Ball.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Exactly - All clubs come to the trade table. Except Collingwood.

I believe they also got Sam Cranage, dunno if that was part of the same tade.....
Correct.

We got pick 4 from Port Adelaide for Darryl Wakelin plus pick 48.

So the total trade from St Kilda's persepctive was
In: Hamill
Out: Darryl Wakelin + Sam Cranage + Pick 48

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hammil left cos he thought john elliot was world class prick. he was also lured by the blight factor... I think Hammil has been proven right.

Ball is dreaming. reality check. Only team that will pay anyywhere near he thinks hes worth are melbourne.

How do you know the money he was offerred by us or by any other club. I would say that one reason Bally may leave will not be the money and to back this up it looks like he has rejected the Demons offer.

8 weeks ago Bally was a favourite player who was a very required player, now with some on this site he is a very ordinary player who should actually pay us to play. Hope no one on this site has left a business to try and improve himself either for money or opportunity.

If Bally stays that is great, if he goes I hope he does great but the club will survive.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you know the money he was offerred by us or by any other club. I would say that one reason Bally may leave will not be the money and to back this up it looks like he has rejected the Demons offer.

8 weeks ago Bally was a favourite player who was a very required player, now with some on this site he is a very ordinary player who should actually pay us to play. Hope no one on this site has left a business to try and improve himself either for money or opportunity.

If Bally stays that is great, if he goes I hope he does great but the club will survive.
I never said he was an ordinary player, however if you think that you are above improving and growing, then that is pretty ordinary...

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:How do you know the money he was offerred by us or by any other club. I would say that one reason Bally may leave will not be the money and to back this up it looks like he has rejected the Demons offer.

Spot on. Especially regarding this site discussing contract/s LB has been offered from the club. We have absolutely no idea of the figures, the terms or the pitch that accompanied it/them.

markp
Saintsational Legend

No shyte sherlocks... :roll:

But is it ok if some people speculate on a fan site about what is being reported... please?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:No shyte sherlocks... :roll:

But is it ok if some people speculate on a fan site about what is being reported... please?
Apparently it's only ok if the speculation puts the Club (generally) in a bad light.

One wonders if the strident criticism of the CLub we're seeing on here would have occured if the Coach in charge was the predecessor and not the incumbent? (that should liven up this thread!)

markp
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone pick the contradiction here?

Saints43
Club Player

Where was it reported that the 3 year contract was for $330K per year as stated in this thread, Watson?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

Where was it reported that the 3 year contract was for $330K per year as stated in this thread, Watson?
You're implying someone pulled it out of their alimentary?? :wink:

The Australian...
The Saints have not yet put a new deal to Ball and have asked him to make his way back over the threshold he crossed four weeks ago before they make an offer. A three-year contract of almost $1million was withdrawn after Ball failed in his bid to get to Collingwood in trade week.
Last edited by markp on Fri 06 Nov 2009 1:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Purely in player terms... is Ball worth all the hassle?

That's a serious question BTW.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Your implying someone pulled it out of their alimentary?? :wink:

The Australian...
The Saints have not yet put a new deal to Ball and have asked him to make his way back over the threshold he crossed four weeks ago before they make an offer. A three-year contract of almost $1million was withdrawn after Ball failed in his bid to get to Collingwood in trade week.
If you're a 'non-believer' than no 'proof' is going to count, is it?
Denham reported many weeks ago that Cololingwood had offered Ball around 500k per year, much more than the current Saints offer.

Connors was reported on teh Tuesday of Trade Week as stating that teh Saints offer was better than Collingwoods, implying that Ball wasn't going to Collingwood for more money.

Both reports cannot be true.
I have no doubt that if the Saints offer was greater than Collingwood's, Luke Ball would have signed on the dotted line.

Saints43
Club Player

markp wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

You're implying someone pulled it out of their alimentary?? :wink:

The Australian...
I was suggesting that. Was...