Milne great during the home and away

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperSaint
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Forget Stevie J... Chapman was the one that killed us. Look at his size ffs.

Milne gets worked off the ball too easily, and so does Schneider to a lesser degree.

Milne's body size is his biggest hinderance IMO.

Great skills, great work rate.. just too bloody small, and therefore very one-dimensional.

We need a player in the Chapman mould.

Schneider can effectively take Milne's place, but we need someone to take Scheider's place. Preferably a skilled mid, rather than a "lead up" like BJ.

Will Lovett release some one to do that?
Very true and in a high pressure game, which finals are, is when Milne's body size and getting worked off the ball is totally exposed. We definitely need a player in the Chapman mould but they don't come around too often. :(

Milton66
SS Life Member

SuperSaint wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Forget Stevie J... Chapman was the one that killed us. Look at his size ffs.

Milne gets worked off the ball too easily, and so does Schneider to a lesser degree.

Great skills, great work rate.. just too bloody small, and therefore very one-dimensional.

Schneider can effectively take Milne's place, but we need someone to take Scheider's place. Preferably a skilled mid, rather than a "lead up" like BJ.

Very true and in a high pressure game, which finals are, is when Milne's body size and getting worked off the ball is totally exposed. We definitely need a player in the Chapman mould but they don't come around too often. :(
which is why I'm not convinced that Gwilt is the answer. we need some one with Jimmy's size, but Chappy's agility.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

which is why I'm not convinced that Gwilt is the answer. we need some one with Jimmy's size, but Chappy's agility.
Interesting call, Gwilt. He can play tall and he is a good set shot. Definitely an option.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

Interesting call, Gwilt. He can play tall and he is a good set shot. Definitely an option.
Not much of a crumber. I guess it comes down to what you need. Tallish, bullocking player, or a small who can throw his weight around.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You all underate Gwilt IMO...

Whoever plays the third forward, it's not a glamorous position that is going to make you a favourite with the fans.

You won't get alot of delivery, you will have to work hard in providing leads even when you're not likely to get the delivery, and be content with only the rare occasion where you will have much to show for your hard work.

We were a better side with Gwilt in the structure, even if it was for making another defender accountable and eliminating our other forwards being double teamed.

He also oozes composure, and couldn't have seen him being ruffled in a high pressure situation.

To the top
SS Life Member

On another thread I have Armitage in my preferred 22.

We need repeats of the game v. Hawthorn where he got 3 Brownlow votes and showed his wares.

Gwilt has received opportunities and was an Emergency in the GF from memory - so that is how close he is - and Dempster got the gig.

The competion will be Lynch v. Gwilt and I would like to see Lynch prevail because, simplistically, that development by Lynch to surpass Dempster and Gwilt puts us one position better than in 2009.

Gwilt is a handy footballer.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I still reckon what we need is an agile medium size player(smaller frame than Gwilt) with lightning reflexes and tight quick turning circle.
Gwilt isn't that player... no one under rates him.

Heyne could one day become that player - he has lightning reflexes and drops the ball quickly to his foot while in full flight, well before an opponent can react, but he needs to build up his light frame and develop a bit more poise - he often rushes and wastes his kicks.

No immediate answers but Heyne should be earmarked as a possible candidate for that role (medium forward).
hope he makes it - because he could be sensational.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Chapman is an exceptional player. He is a bit of an AFL version of Diego Maradonna: short, low centre of gravity, all muscle, amazing ability to shrug off opponents, turn and shoot.

I think there are 15 other clubs that would like to find another Chapman.

I take the point that some have made that Lyon and co. might need to rethink the strategy of the "midget army" in 2010.

I would love to see Lynch or Gwilt (again) or someone else (but probably not Lovett, who I like playing further back) running around inside the forward 50 with some of the freedom that Milne has had (and Gwilt wasn't given in 2009).

But it's not essential to do this: leaving Milne where he is, all in all, probably the best approach. The 2009 forward setup worked just fine: contributing to winning all the games it needed to win and doing all the right things it needed to do in the GF other than to kick straight enough.

The forward line as it is currently composed is not a problem area for the club. The only area where I would want to see significant improvement is run through the midfield, and that's where Lovett and Peake come into the picture.

Ball will be a loss if he goes, but I would be expecting Armo and Steven to step up.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift