Are we a chance to snare Bradshaw?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Wouldn't mind him, he'd be that third tall/ medium forward we've been looking for, but he wont be there at pick 32.
He will nominate for the pre season draft but if he nominated for the main draft he certainly would be there after pick 32. No way he wojuld go before that.
Do we really want to use our only top 60 pick on him though?
I hope so. Lets just forget about drafting young players. i say top ups for the next 5 years at least.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Wouldn't mind him, he'd be that third tall/ medium forward we've been looking for, but he wont be there at pick 32.
He will nominate for the pre season draft but if he nominated for the main draft he certainly would be there after pick 32. No way he wojuld go before that.
I hope so. Lets just forget about drafting young players. i say top ups for the next 5 years at least.
Well thats been the plan for the past three.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I love how every non-stkilda player is a reject not worth a cent, but every player on our list is untouchable.

Love the perspective.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I love how every non-stkilda player is a reject not worth a cent, but every player on our list is untouchable.

Love the perspective.
That is one thing i dont beleive but these guys are delisted players. Will LJ or begley get picked up next year?

ace
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
He will nominate for the pre season draft but if he nominated for the main draft he certainly would be there after pick 32. No way he would go before that.
We have picks 32 and 60 in the National Draft.
We would have to take him in the National Draft because I would think that Carlton would still be interested as would Collingwood.
They are both ahead of us in the pre-season draft.

As he probably only has 2 seasons left in him, the more lowly placed clubs may ignore him.
He would only hurt their draft positions over the next 2 years.

I would expect the Bulldogs to be interested but only able to pay 1st year player money due to salary cap.
Essendon may not be interested as they felt Lloyd was blocking someone else playing full forward.

Assuming he went into the National Draft
After our pick 32,
Carlton have pick 43 and 59
We have pick 60
Collingwood has pick 62
We have pick 64
Carlton 75
Collingwood 78
We have 80

If he is still in play at pick 59 in the National Draft and St Kilda or Collingwood look interested, I would expect Carlton to take him with pick 59.
Last edited by ace on Fri 16 Oct 2009 7:31pm, edited 4 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
We would have to take him in that draft because I would think that Carlton would still be interested as would Collingwood.

As he probably only has 2 season left in him, the more lowly plaed clubs may ignore him.

I would expect the Bulldogs to be intersted but only able to pay 1st year player money due to salary cap.
Essendon may not be interested as they felt Lloyd was blocking someone else playing full forward.

After our pick 32,
We have pick 60
Collingwood has pick 62
We have pick 64
Carlton 75
Collingwood 78
We have 80

If he is still in play at pick 59 in the National Draft and St Kilda or Collingwood look interested, I would expect Carlton to take him with pick 59.
There is no way known he will nominate for the main draft. He will only nominate for the pre season draft so he can basically ge to the club he wants.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
We would have to take him in that draft because I would think that Carlton would still be interested as would Collingwood.

As he probably only has 2 season left in him, the more lowly plaed clubs may ignore him.

I would expect the Bulldogs to be intersted but only able to pay 1st year player money due to salary cap.

After our pick 32,
We have pick 60
Collingwood has pick 62
We have pick 64
Carlton 75
Collingwood 78
We have 80

There is no way known he will nominate for the main draft. He will only nominate for the pre season draft so he can basically ge to the club he wants.
That may well be Colliingwood.
Like Carlton they always seem to be able to find a way to pay more money than the salary cap allows.
That would certainly stuff any chance of Ball getting to Collingwood.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Batnoe

I think we would have more in our salary cap than most think

Hayes and Baker in Veterens list + possibly Luke Balls contract will be available. So if we offer Bradshaw 2 years i am sure we can pay him...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I think we would have more in our salary cap than most think

Hayes and Baker in Veterens list + possibly Luke Balls contract will be available. So if we offer Bradshaw 2 years i am sure we can pay him...
I reckon we would have about $55 in our salary cap. If Bradshaw will play for $55 a year we are still a chance.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, not interested in Bradshaw, has baclk problems and is 30+, plus he is not what we need, what we need is a 3rd medium sized forward in the Steve Johnson mould who can mark, tackle and kick goals.
Remember we tried Roo, Kosi and G Train last year and it didn't work.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Batnoe

3rd generation saint wrote:Sorry, not interested in Bradshaw, has baclk problems and is 30+, plus he is not what we need, what we need is a 3rd medium sized forward in the Steve Johnson mould who can mark, tackle and kick goals.
Remember we tried Roo, Kosi and G Train last year and it didn't work.
It is very hard to have 3 tal forwards as they run into each other and confuse the mids. Our mids would have to be smart, at the moment, they are too Roo conscious and all defenders realise this...

I think out of a possibe 120 games with Roo, Kosi and Gehrig they only played about 30 games together... If we had them all on the park at all times it would have been a different story

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why would we want another Kosi?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milton66
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Why would we want another Kosi?
Bradshaw > Kosi.

He was to Brisbane what McGill was to Australia. Right man, wrong place, wrong time.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Bradshaw > Kosi.

He was to Brisbane what McGill was to Australia. Right man, wrong place, wrong time.
I'd take Kosi any day of the week over Bradshaw, even though I do love the way Bradshaw goes about it.

Over their careers, stats favour Kosi, apart from goal average. But that's not surprising considering he was played out of position forabout 3 years and played early games down back.

Kosi's best footy is yet to come, Bradshaw's is past.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:The reason why Westaway isn't involved in recruiting because he doesn't know the list, and this highlights we don't need anther Tall forward now. In the future 2 or 3 years down the track then yes but not now and Bradshaw wont help us with that.

BTW is there a link for the Westaway quote?
Our president, who "doesn't know the list", apparently begs to differ:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 51,00.html
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 17 Oct 2009 2:04am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

There is a never ending parade of pointless nonsense discussed on internet forums (fora?).

Bradshaw fits in exactly where with us? No freakin' where, that's where. If RTB had Jarryn Geary ready to play if Zac's night on the drip precluded him from playing on GF day, because he thought we might be too tall, then how does Bradshaw fit in ?

The game now is about mobility. Kosi's under threat because he doesn't have much of it. Add Bradshaw to Kosi up front - Jesus, Roo would be running for 3!!!

No place forward and no place back - what a shock, a 31 year old with no place in a GF side.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Bradshaw and Kosi could play the exact sort of roles Bradshaw and Brown played this year, with Roo playing more of a traditional CHF role. It's not that hard to work out. The main reason it didn't work with Roo, Kosi and G last year, is that they tried to have them all playing inside the same 50m area, with G in the side pocket, near the boundary, which just didn't suit him. He didn't have enough room to lead. If he'd been leading out of the goalsquare, as he did when he won 2 Coleman's, with Kosi beside him and Roo further out, it could easily have worked out. But our coaching staff seemed hell-bent on having Roo in there as well, and it didn't work. It's like they forgot that Gehrig's main asset was his strong leading, not his high pack marking. They obviously planned our forward line once Gehrig retired, and then once he "un-retired" they just shoved him out in the pocket, instead of reverting to the set-up that had actually worked so well for us for years.
Riewoldt's already the guy leading up to the wings half the time now, but with someone like Bradshaw there, he could do more of that, without having to worry about being the guy to get back and kick most of the goals as well. It could take a big load off his shoulders.
He could alternatively play the "Richo role" on the wing, as he did at times a year or two ago. Running up and down the ground, taking 18 marks a game, being able to drop down back to help out, as well as drifting forward to kick 2 or 3 a game. That way Bradshaw and Kosi could kick about 50 each (as they did this year) and Roo could also kick his 40-50+, plus Milne and Schneider's. Very powerful forward line indeed.
I still don't see it happening, though, as they may still not want Roo out of the 50, apart from anything else.
I'd be happy to get him here, if his body is still up to it. He just kicked 5 in a final, in his second last game and 50 for the year, in an inferior team.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 17 Oct 2009 2:39am, edited 3 times in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Bradshaw > Kosi.

Of all the posts/threads that discuss possible pickups, this one interests me. Bradshaw is smart and as he played around the Brown leads and still kicked goals, I believe he can do the same with Roo. He may just be what we need. I'm sorry but Kosi still raises question marks for me. Bradshaw is not Kosi and while Kosi had a pretty good year this year, Bradshaw has kicked the most goals for the Brisbane Lions in an era that included 3 premierships. He is the guy we should consider very seriously.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Do we get more money in the salary cap next year for finishing second because unless we do we have no room.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Kosi's best footy is yet to come, Bradshaw's is past.
maybe Kosi was saving himself in the finals until his best footy arrives...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Lets hope so! Still, at least this year was better than last for him. Hopefully the upward trend continues. We'll be in for some fun if it does.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Wish there was 2 trade weeks :(

Trade Ball for Bradshaw :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Bradshaw would be great, sure he is not that mobile, but he is one of the best one on one forwards in the league. With Bradshaw in the forwardline would mean Riewoldt would get the 1st and 3rd best defenders, Bradshaw would get the second best defender and Kosi would get the 4th defender, it would help everyone IMO.

He isn't as tall as everyone thinks he is either, he is only 2cms taller than Goddard...

It is also important to remember how vulnerable our structure looks without Kosi or Roo, having a third tall would give us some insurance.

IMO Bradshaw out of the goal square with Riewoldt and Kosi playing leading forwards who push up the ground would be great, that way Roo and Kosi can get into the game a bit more whilst leaving us with a target up front.

Should he go into the ND I would love if we took him at pick 32, but we wont, he will go to Collingwood at pick 30 at the latest, honestly what are we going to get with pick 30 this year, and how far behind would they be behind McEvoy, Stanley, Geary, Armitage, Eddy etc.

Our youngsters are fine for the time being, two more good years from Bradshaw would improve our chances unbelievably...

I understand people are getting fed up with a thread being started for every delisted player but you can NOT call Joel McDonald and Daniel Bradshaw rejects, they have not been dropped, they have walked out, there is a very big difference.

If you were a Collingwood supporter would you oppose drafting Luke Ball simply because he is a St Kilda reject...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is not a matter of whether or not Bradshaw is great or not...

But that our salary cap is so tight we had to offload X...and that due to finishing second we are well down the selection order.

Bradshaw will have ample offers and $$-wise it will put him out of our reach...that is if he was within our draft reach which is most unlikely.

Swans or Blues would seem most likely.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hindsight, do you think Doggies would have gone for him?