Best of the Recycled Since 1970

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Elvis
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:jacko in...bugger, someones beaten me to it.
annd yes penny in, young out.
anyone in - fiora out!
Jacko was entertaining, but in terms of his actual output for the Saints he only had 10 games for 41 goals. A fair return but still a burnt out club president's suit pocket away from the Train, Heater and even Mark Scott. A starter in Kosi's team if he pushes the criteria out to ten games.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Snakeman66 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Snakeman66 wrote:Robert Mace & Craig O'Brien would be a good replacements
Adrian Fletcher came to us with O'B IIRC
Fletcher played 1992(22 games, 10 goals), O'Brien 1993-1995(52 games 116 goals)
I didn't mind Windscreens. Was awsome at the feet of Lockett.

Wouldn't mind him playing now instead of Milne TBH.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Elvis
Club Player

Snakeman66 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Fletcher played 1992(22 games, 10 goals), O'Brien 1993-1995(52 games 116 goals)
Fletcher at St Kilda well behind Callery or Powell (who just has to stay there, one of my all time favourite memories is of him running off the line and smashing into Cameron Ling...) but maybe pushing McConville. O'Brien solid, but an outside bench chance when pitted against Fraser and maybe again even Mark Scott and Jason Heatley.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
yep Adrian Fletcher, Dale Kickett, Mark Scott, Graeme Bond, Max Crow, Alex Jesaulenko, Matthew Young. I'll think of others but great thread. Thank you, Elvis.

Elvis
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
yep Adrian Fletcher, Dale Kickett, Mark Scott, Graeme Bond, Max Crow, Alex Jesaulenko, Matthew Young. I'll think of others but great thread. Thank you, Elvis.
Cheers, for me Maxie Crow was to the 80's what Billy Barrott was to the 70's...ultimately a real disappointment. Max was around for longer but sheesh, from memory he sometimes sprayed them around like Friday night Linton Street sprinkler. Great grab, shocking kick for goal from dead straight angles at times. Max to the apology list nevertheless, behind Heaters and Mark Scott and now even Jacko!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Elvis wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Cheers, for me Maxie Crow was to the 80's what Billy Barrott was to the 70's...ultimately a real disappointment. Max was around for longer but sheesh, from memory he sometimes sprayed them around like Friday night Linton Street sprinkler. Great grab, shocking kick for goal from dead straight angles at times. Max to the apology list nevertheless, behind Heaters and Mark Scott and now even Jacko!
Sean Ralph-Smith, Wow Jones, Russell Morris, Dean Anderson and who could forget Ricky Nixon. And Spiro Kourkamelis (sorry about spelling), Robbie Neill, Troy Cook.

Elvis
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
Elvis wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Sean Ralph-Smith, Wow Jones, Russell Morris, Dean Anderson and who could forget Ricky Nixon.
Ralphy was a good scrapper in defence for sure, but hard to edge out others. Wow's getting a few votes but it would almost be unthinkable to oust Big Carl (for those that were lucky enough to see him, let's just forget that he went off to the Dees..twice!!). Big Deano is on my HFF and I think rock solid there and in actual fact our boy Ricky is hard done by and might even make the apology list. I think the media like to taint him as a hack, but he was better than that, certainly a physical presence which didn't quite match that poodle hairstyle thing he refused to give up for many years :wink: Russell Morris, unlucky, could gain momentum tomorrow if some more nostalgia buffs buy in. I'm out for now, have a school to run tomorrow then will sort through hopefully some enthusiastic recommendations after that!

cheers!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Justin Charles, Justin Plapp, Tony Delaney, Craig Callaghan, Mark Gale.

Elvis
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:Justin Charles, Justin Plapp, Tony Delaney, Craig Callaghan, Mark Gale.
still can't see any of these threatening anyone in the best of line up. I think Plappy is still at it somewhere, very talented. Callaghan cruelled by injury. Charles went missing too often and Delaney, nuggety but hard to push past others.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Elvis wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Justin Charles, Justin Plapp, Tony Delaney, Craig Callaghan, Mark Gale.
still can't see any of these threatening anyone in the best of line up. I think Plappy is still at it somewhere, very talented. Callaghan cruelled by injury. Charles went missing too often and Delaney, nuggety but hard to push past others.
Agree, just expanding the thread to any player from another club. Trying to jolt my brain to think of others. :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I think you are confusing him with his shorter, darker brother.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Elvis
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Right you are kosi, that would be Sean Charles... still went missing!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

tony francis, damian monkhorst

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:

And that sharp shooter from Fitzroy... Sinclair.

I seem to remember this bloke in a game at Moorabbin in the late 70s or early 80s !!?

Looked a $million and took mark after mark in front of goal but could not kick between the sticks if his life depended on it.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Elvis
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:tony francis, damian monkhorst

hmmm, maybes. Monkey was serviceable but only for a year. Even Matty Capuano is ahead of him. Tony Francis was well past his best.

Elvis
Club Player

Re: Best of the Recycled Since 1970

Elvis wrote:In the spirit of Gus Smarrini, given that we've had some recent success with the environmentally friendly approach to list development, and because let's face it, it's now well into the off season, we're bored, resorting to rumour, innuendo and any old piece of flotsam and jetsam to tide us over...

So here it is, my best of the recycled since 1970. I've tried to stay true to positions as played in the red, white and black. To qualify you simply had to come to the Saints from another AFL/VFL club and be the best player in the selected position of those recycled before and past you (since 1970). There are some interesting quirks around this, such as Stephen Milne, who doesn't qualify because he did not play a senior game at the Bombers before joining coming to Moorabbin and Big Carl, who does slot in because he left, came back from the Dees then left again! Historically, even well before the 1970's, we have had record of home grown full backs who have held the position for a long, long time, so it is interesting that Zac fits in.

Some crowd favourites amongst this lot (Gehrig, Paul Callery, Aaron Hamill, Foschini) and some whipping boys for controversy too (Fiora, Black) and some ex-Blues indeed past their best but still serviceable (Jezza, McConville, Sheldon).

Hope this stirs some healthy debate, happy to be have players positions challenged and maybe we can come out the other side of it with a solid team. Nevertheless, I think this one is pretty good (to give myself a rap!)

The most contentious ones will be Silvio Foschini (I left him there in front of Schneider because I had great memories of his arrival from the Swans, he was something different and could be genuinely electrifying in an otherwise miserable era), Matthew Young (gave everything, squeezed absolutely every piece of talent he had from his little toe to his little finger!!) and Paul Morwood over Luke Penny, but Morwood was a genuine key position player, Penny solid, but more of a back up......

And let's not even get started with the Aaron Fiora thing...

Here it is (with clubs they came from in brackets)..

B Matthew Young (HAW) Zac Dawson (HAW) Brett Voss (BRIS)
HB Jayson Daniels (SYD) Paul Morwood (SYD) Heath Black (FREO)
C Jason Gram (BRIS) Stephen Powell (MEL) Aaron Fiora (RICH)
HF Dean Anderson (HAW) Aaron Hamill (CAR) Alex Jesaulenko (CAR)
F Ken Sheldon (CAR) Fraser Gehrig (WC) Silvio Foschini (SYD)
RR Peter McConville (CAR)
R Carl Ditterich (MEL) Paul Callery (MEL)

INT: Farren Ray (WB), Jason Heatley (WC), Michael Gardiner (WC), Steven King (GEE)

COACH: Ross Lyon (BRIS)

with apologies to.... Tim Pekin (FITZ), Luke Penny (WB), Paul Harding (HAW), Rex Hunt (GEE), Jeff Fehring (GEE), Russell Morris (HAW), Adam Schneider (SYD)

Discuss...
A repeat of the original concept above folks. It's a little more discerning than just listing players that came to the Saints from another AFL/VFL club. They have to have been the best of the recycleds in their position as suggested above, not just any old randoms! I'm working on next weeks team and will try to put one out every fortnight between now and the NAB cup. But for now, keep your Best of the Recycled's coming. I'll provide a final team by Sunday with notes on reasons why selected, based on my knowledge and that which gets entered into this thread.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

anyone in - fiora out!
Graeme Bond (Rich)? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The Fly has to be at CHB. Held it down with great distinction in an era where we actually played finals lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Elvis
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
anyone in - fiora out!
Graeme Bond (Rich)? !!
Pekin over Fiora over Bond on the wing... for the simple reason that Bondy played many of his 50 odd games in the red, white and black out of the back pocket. I always had him in the mix though, he was still very good.

Elvis
Club Player

saint66au wrote:The Fly has to be at CHB. Held it down with great distinction in an era where we actually played finals lol
Good point (from a poster IMHO held in high esteem, so thanks Saint66). Strong vote for The Fly!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Bowey Boy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

I seem to remember this bloke in a game at Moorabbin in the late 70s or early 80s !!?

Looked a $million and took mark after mark in front of goal but could not kick between the sticks if his life depended on it.
Yep, that was the guy. Absolute shocker at kicking goals.

Graeme Bond... #34 on the wing. Had some pace.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Elvis
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
Bowey Boy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

Yep, that was the guy. Absolute shocker at kicking goals.

Graeme Bond... #34 on the wing. Had some pace.
Yep, Bondy was quick, but essentiallly finished in the back pocket. His best days were with the Tiges prior to 73. He didn't get to us until 77.

gosainters66
Club Player

Russell Morris (HAW) was a gun in the back line easy in the side IMO

SAINTS FOR EVER
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Elvis wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Right you are kosi, that would be Sean Charles... still went missing!
Thanks. Had a feeling I had that wrong but couldn't think last night :oops:

poatina
Club Player

best of the recycled

Elvis wrote :
I think Plappy is still at it somewhere, very talented

Not so sure about next year , I think he might have a coaching offer in Melbourne, but this year he was captain - coach of Burnie in the Statewide League in Tassie and was a very good player ( and good coach apparently ) . He got his team into the Grand Final , but the poor bloke had a set shot after the siren , gettable, which could have won them the game if it was a goal but it faded and missed. That might be his last kick in senior football.
Although not in the class of David Grant I thought he was serviceable for the Saints in a similar role as a marking shorter backman.