Available Numbers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Re: Available Numbers

Lenny = legend wrote:There are some significant guernsey numbers free at st kilda now:
35 (unlikely to be used again)
14 (if bally leaves)
etc

Do you think any current players will change their number or these numbers will be eventually taken by recruits and draftees? eg: Peake
I feel CJ should be no. 8.
It's numerically linked with his familiar 38. And there's a strong character link with Max's dogged loyalty (and non-silken skills). A good match.

I'd like Jack Steven to get no. 3. I can see the spirit of Burkey living on through Steven.

I was thinking of Zac for 3 or 4 too. (I wouldn't altogether mind if Steven were given 4) But I somehow think Dawson will stick with 43 for the rest of his career -- in acknowledgement of his last-chance humble beginnings at St Kilda. I think there's a sense of honour attached to self-effacing obscurity -- especially when you become a champion at what you're doing.

Peake might get 34 -- adds up to his old number 7

If Bally goes into the PSD, and we pick up a recycled player in return, give him number 14.

Eddy and Geary don't quite deserve a lower number yet. Wait and see.

Don't use 35 until the right player comes along. Maybe the same for 4.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why the hell wouldnt 35 be used again. Its a friggin number.
Thank goodness.

Give it to anyone, let them make their own history with in.

I dislike the Carlton way of retiring numbers - f*** that, half the time it doesn't even work out after waiting for the next star....

3 - Steven? (Armo to follow in clarkes footsteps of 20-3.....Cant see jones changing from 38.....Also, steven associated with 34)
4 - Geary (Really feel he has earned it, will play 22 next year and is associated with his number 42)
6 - Lynch! (Fisher looking like to be delisted)
8 - Dawson (Can really picture this number on his bak!)
9 - Lovett

35 - The payer we draft at 30something in this draft!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I expect that there will be further numbers made available.
6. I think Leigh is even further away from a senior game with Lovett and Peake being picked up.
17. Begley reportedly wants to return to Ireland.
14. Who knows?
And they are just the low ones.

ace
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:On a side note, interesting to see that X (through no fault of his own, injuries, death of his father, etc) never truly lived up to his potential that saw Burkey present him with his old number...in hindsight it should've been given to Ball.
To Dal Santo or Montagna they are loyal to the club.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
avid
Club Player

I don't want to see anyone in number 4 until it's certain they're a club champion.
(I wanted Bally to take it over, a la Plugger. Shows how uncertain "certain" can be.)
Remember Paul Morwood running around in No 4? Just seemed like a slap in the face to Darrel Baldock to me. (No major disrespect, Paul, if you're reading this. -- any other number would have been OK.)
I'd be happy if Geary earned it, but I just don't think he's a sure enough bet yet.

I don't think Leigh Fisher's going to be delisted, so I'm not thinking about no 6 yet.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I don't want to see anyone in number 4 until it's certain they're a club champion.
(I wanted Bally to take it over, a la Plugger. Shows how uncertain "certain" can be.)
Remember Paul Morwood running around in No 4? Just seemed like a slap in the face to Darrel Baldock to me. (No major disrespect, Paul, if you're reading this. -- any other number would have been OK.)
I'd be happy if Geary earned it, but I just don't think he's a sure enough bet yet.

I don't think Leigh Fisher's going to be delisted, so I'm not thinking about no 6 yet.

By that time they will undoubtedly keep their own number - its catch 22.

Unless Leigh has another year on his contract...... I cant see him staying.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
avid wrote:I don't want to see anyone in number 4 until it's certain they're a club champion.

Well he does so he may still stay.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Well he does so he may still stay.
Interesting - Well Fiora showed last year that Ross doesn't waste time if players arn't in there plan. Guess its a wait and see.

Batnoe

SaintWodonga wrote:
jonesy wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Pretty sure clit jones will get a lower number..
That's why he's hard to find...
oops!

haha