I love that we love Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I don't love Ross Lyon.

I like him, he's a good guy.

But his coaching throughout the finals deserves scrutiny.

He is as much as fault as the guys who panicked on the day last week.

We had a few people at the club, Lyon included who didn't handle the big occasion very well. People who made errors when it counted.

Selection was wrong. Tactics were wrong. Interchange use was wrong.

He had a good year. But certainly not 'love worthy'. Milne had a good year too.
Yes sack Lyon.
:roll:

Lyon is a coach that is honest and constantly questions himself...and his players...and seeks improvement....

That Lyon has been brutally honest about the GF and has openly indicated few what-if's post match (much as we all have) is a sign of his ability...rather than his flaws.

I am very confident in Lyon and his methodolgy in taking us forward.

Was Lyon 100% perfect .. = no?

Did he do most things right this year and in the finals = yes.

Expect eternal perfection and you will be eternally disappointed.
What I expect and hope for is a consistently good effort and constant improvement. In Lyon you have both.

Lyon was clearly coach of the year in 2009....and we should be very grateful that he is the St Kilda coach.

PS:.
..and the St Kilda players did not panic...yes some rushed their shots on goal...but a "panicked" team does not grind out a 4 quarter effort like that..118 tackles and a huge % of contested football equals a team that is up and about....
We had eternal perfection... he was just unlucky and got sacked. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I don't love Ross Lyon.

I like him, he's a good guy.

But his coaching throughout the finals deserves scrutiny.

He is as much as fault as the guys who panicked on the day last week.

We had a few people at the club, Lyon included who didn't handle the big occasion very well. People who made errors when it counted.

Selection was wrong. Tactics were wrong. Interchange use was wrong.

He had a good year. But certainly not 'love worthy'. Milne had a good year too.
Are these your opinions, or gleaned from his own admissions?
Both.
Given that by his own admission he brought up some late 4th quarter tactics, some interchange misunderstandings regarding Ball....I assume that selection being wrong is the only part of the above that is your opinion?
Both situations that you mention were my opinion prior to Lyon fessing up to them.

So yeah, the selections mistakes are my opinion aswell.
Of course they were....

linz
Club Player

Great job. Pragmatic, honest, demanding, and always seeking perfection.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Milton66
SS Life Member

One of the most professional, clued up coaches we've hadin the last 40 odd years.

Not bad for a 3rd year rookie.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....
There were a couple of guys who were oddly 'first picked' each year that on GF showed why their selection was questioned throughout the year.

Some of 'Lyon's favourites' didn't cut it and it was an error to pick them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Both situations that you mention were my opinion prior to Lyon fessing up to them.
Has anyone else noticed how the Flog Report comes out only after the author has had time to digest all the media write ups and posts on here and BigFooty?

Then out comes the "opinions"....

Why don't these opinions come out before all and sundry has dissected the game? Rather than these constant " I - told- you- so's......well after ...

Lyon comes out and bares his soul...and then surprise surprise Roger Flog then reveals that yes that was his opinion prior.... NO RF posts on this prior to the Press Conferences though........

Why no praise for praise for Lyon's Gameplan which had a list many rate much better than St Kilda's beaten everywhere but on the scoreboard?

Why no praise for Lyon building a team ethic better than any I have every seen by any team?

Why no praise for Lyon in turning so many players around? I mean who would have thought that CJ would become the competitions best tagger....limiting Gablett for example to average games twice this year. Lyon that is who..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....
There were a couple of guys who were oddly 'first picked' each year that on GF showed why their selection was questioned throughout the year.

So I was correct to assume that the only part of your post that was your own opinion, is related to selection issues?

Everything else you mentioned is not opinion, it is self confessed musings from Ross Lyon himself.

So why not just say "I had issues with such and such selections" ?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how the Flog Report comes out only after the author has had time to digest all the media write ups and posts on here and BigFooty?

Why don't these opinions come out before all and sundry has dissected the game? Rather than these constant " I - told- you- so's......well after ...

Lyon comes out and bares his soul...and then surprise surprise Roger Flog then reveals that yes that was his opinion prior.... NO RF posts on this prior to the Press Conferences though........

Why no praise for praise for Lyon's Gameplan which had a list many rate much better than St Kilda's beaten everywhere but on the scoreboard?

Why no praise for Lyon building a team ethic better than any I have every seen by any team?

Why no praise for Lyon in turning so many players around? I mean who would have thought that CJ would become the competitions best tagger....limiting Gablett for example to average games twice this year. Lyon that is who..
Great post. Perfect

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah coincidence is a funny thing huh

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....

Very mischevious comment about "favourites".

Who praytell would you have selected?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....

So I was correct to assume that the only part of your post that was your own opinion, is related to selection issues?

Everything else you mentioned is not opinion, it is self confessed musings from Ross Lyon himself.

I don't think you read my post.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Great post. Perfect
Oh Ok.

I love Ross Lyon.

Sorry, my mistake.

I forgot where I was for a minute.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Great post. Perfect
Oh Ok.

I love Ross Lyon.

Sorry, my mistake.

Would love to hear your counter argument, Rodger. Go for it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Great post. Perfect
Oh Ok.

I love Ross Lyon.

Sorry, my mistake.

Would love to hear your counter argument, Rodger. Go for it.
Sorry, but what am I meant to be countering?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....

Oh but I did, you had these revelations prior to Ross...you just allowed him ample time to come clean before you felt compelled to share them with us?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

All we are saying

Is give peace a chance

All we are saying

Is give peace a chance.....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....

Oh but I did, you had these revelations prior to Ross...you just allowed him ample time to come clean before you felt compelled to share them with us?
Oh dear.

Again, sorry. I forgot where I was.

I love Ross Lyon. He is perfect.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven
Club Player

a good coach - soon to be a great coach...........

Tramps like us.............
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Ok Rodger

He knew what he did wrong and acknowledged it.

We bombed it long too much in a low scoring game where a couple of quality entries would have done it.

He admitted that and I LOVE him for that. He admitted his mistakes and had taken responsibility. If we kicked straight we would have won. So is it his mistakes or the players mistakes that cost us the flag. Who knows?

The group will be better off for this experience.

Goodnight.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Ok Rodger

We bombed it long too much in a low scoring game where a couple of quality entries would have done it.

He admitted that and I LOVE him for that. He admitted his mistakes and had taken responsibility. If we kicked straight we would have won. So is it his mistakes or the players mistakes that cost us the flag. Who knows?

Goodnight.
F**k me.

I would have loved him much more if he didn't panic in the most important game in the club's recent history.

Jesus.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Ok Rodger

He admitted that and I LOVE him for that. He admitted his mistakes and had taken responsibility. If we kicked straight we would have won. So it is his mistakes or the players mistakes that cost us the flag. Who knows?

Goodnight.
Not just that, from what I have read and seen, he hasn't singled out any incident or player for blame and has been behind the playing group 100%.

Make no mistake, RL will be absolutely bleeding inside for any mistake he or a player made during the game.

A true leader, taking the heat for his troops.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven wrote:a good coach - soon to be a great coach...........
Precisely.

Had a great year. But couldn't cut it when it mattered.

Infact, he blew it.

However, he did enough right to give us a chance aswell.

Nice to see some perspective.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

schneides kicks 4 goal 1 and we wouldnt even be talking about it

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:schneides kicks 4 goal 1 and we wouldnt even be talking about it
Absolutely.