"Saints pair set to say goodbye" - re Ball/Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ThePunter
Club Player

Ball loves winning so much, his Mum had to keep him out of competitive sport for two years when he was a child.

I think he'll want to stay, and will be asking Ross exactly what he needs to do, and then doing that.

We can't really hope to keep Goose. I know he loves the place, but he wants to play senior football.

reincarnated

Thinline wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Thinline wrote:I blame your self referencing for our loss.

From here on end I shall call you Fat Vernon, Reincarnated, after the chub guts in Stand By Me.

Don't know why. Just seems to suit.

I could sledge you for stating the absolute obvious, but I don't have the energy.

Ball ain't no mercenary. He'll stick, or he'll retire.
You always state you do not have the energy to continue yet you type that you do not have the energy to continue. So why type it? Save your energy.

Reincarnated is correct on this issue. Luke Balls knows it. Not saying he not a talented footballer but to suggest he was in the top 20 in the league re player payments is a bit of a cockup. No chance in hell he deserves it.
Fat Vern.

You must be shattered about your mate Fev flying the coop, huh?

Look, Vern, I care little for your tone, your thoughts and the tired selective drivel you regurgitate over and over and over and over.

You are Bernard Shakey on Kosi only GENERALLY.

And at least Bern has sense of humour, a grasp on the concept of brevity and superior musical taste.

Over and out on you from now until eternity.

Put that down as a victory if you wish. I don't mind.
Reincarnated has a sense of humour. Tell Reincarnated a joke and Reincarnated will tell you if Reincarnated laughs.

Why would Reincarnated care about Fev? He does not and will not ever play for St Kilda so why bother caring. Care about one's own backyard and nobody elses.

Labelling Reincarnated such a name displays your limited ability to engage in conversation. Do better, Reincarnated knows you can so do it.

Sainterman
Club Player

I really hope Bally stays. 22 possies in 50% game time on the weekend shows his worth IMO.

In the event he doesn't, and walks out, would this not leave a large amount to be spent in our salary cap? If he was on $600K, and you throw in Max retiring, Matty going too...should we then be able to have a crack at a big name? Perhaps that 3rd tall, or a pacy midfielder that kicks goals? Or any other position we think needs work.

Damn, I wish we had kicked straight....this would all be irrelevant then! :-(

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

reincarnated wrote:
Thinline wrote:Melbourne will be doing whatever they can to get Ball, but I reckon Bally would take a $ cut. That said, with Armo coming through, perhaps Bally will be squeezed out.

We'll see.

Love him as I do, Lyon seems lukewarm, and Ross holds the scissors.

Maguire has no value to anyone but us. Risk risk risk.
It would take a money driven s.o.b to leave a team who just made the Grand Final to move to the last placed club with no chance of a replica performance for five years plus
Reincarnated, I 100% agree! After seeing Balls face on the weekend, there will no way he would be leaving us. He will get further opportunities next year. MacGuire may be a different story.

None of us are privy to the conversations between these players and the coach and true to Connors form, playing contracts out in the media. Unfortunately, he has opted to do this with 2 players who appear to be on the fringe at the Saints and are not worth the mone. He is doing more harm than good.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

reincarnated wrote:Ball had a good game last Saturday and he is intelligent enough to realise his last contract was way over his worth as a footballer both in terms of age and talent

He owes us. Very dissapointing to see him go and would be frowned upon much like Melbourne supporters to Brock McLean
He owes us!!!

What for not getting enough head injuries, for not going in hard enough, for not been a leader and shedding tears for the club.

You idiot!! He owes you NOTHING

spert
Saintsational Legend

If Ball has overcome the issues that caused RL to drop him from the seniors, then he has a spot in the team, but he won't have a spot in the midfield as the current top crop running around in the AFL are fast, strong, and have excellent foot skills, Ball is strong for his size and fearless, but lacks the other attributes I suspect he got a game in the GF for a tagging role against a team where more than one good tagger was required. I would love him in the forward pocket in place of Milne, playing close to goal as no doubt he would put his body on the line to get the ball and has a good defensive game.

reincarnated

terry smith rules wrote:
reincarnated wrote:Ball had a good game last Saturday and he is intelligent enough to realise his last contract was way over his worth as a footballer both in terms of age and talent

He owes us. Very dissapointing to see him go and would be frowned upon much like Melbourne supporters to Brock McLean
He owes us!!!

What for not getting enough head injuries, for not going in hard enough, for not been a leader and shedding tears for the club.

You idiot!! He owes you NOTHING
Reincarnated is drawing reference to his contract. Us as in the football club. Not Reincarnated.

Luke Ball went in hard enough, copped it, is a leader and cries. That is a given however that does not mean he deserves to be in the top 20 payed in the league

bozza1980
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:It won't be money that Luke would considering as the key factor for leaving.

It would be whether or not he is comfortable playing half a game and every second week in the 2s.
I understand where you are coming from, but when it came to finals time, he was in the side.

The way I see it, the past few months wouldn't have increased his value in the market, exactly the opposite.

I am hoping that is because he is not going anywhere, and Ross is putting in the hard work, to get the best out of Luke for the Saints long term.
I just don't think he'd leave for any other reason than him being told, or realising himself, that the club doesn't believe he has a significant role to play in the future.

That's what it will come down to.
I agree.

I hope we keep both but could understand them testing the waters.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Ball leaves, especially to Melbourne who have nothing we want.
As for Goose, well it may be because his opportunities are limited as I can't see who he is going to replace in our backline.
Sadly like Max he would be waiting for an injury to get a chance.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Goose traded for two reasons:

(1) It will be hard for him to break into our side next season, given how long he's been out and younger player development

(2) He could do better at another club, get more chances.

Can't see us getting much more than about pick 60ish for him though (a third rounder!).

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

3rd generation saint wrote:I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Ball leaves, especially to Melbourne who have nothing we want.
Really? I'd entertain a Ball/Sylvia trade deal. Sylvia is a likely 3rd tall prospect for us; he's a strong mark, long kick and has enjoyed his best season to date (even with a few boofhead moments off the field). Certainly worth a look.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i would like to know why ball only gets 46% of game time in a GF when in that period of time he had 22 touches 7 clearances, 7 tackles, 10 contested possies, 5 inside 50s, and earned 5 frees
had 7 clangers, but on a day like that thats going to happen...Lenny had 10

now thats a fantastic half of footy...and imo should of been on the ground for at least another 30mins

im puzzled by this :?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Many .KNOB comments on this thread. I am surprised those .KNOB comments are responded to, to be quite frank.

.IGNORE

:lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
flyingwhale18
Club Player

cant see Luke leaving, he seems the type of bloke that will stay with a great group of people and the team that drafted him, than to be traded to a bottom of the ladder team for more money.

the guy is a warrior.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
makemytime
Club Player

keep the core together, we need ball and goose, especially with maxy retiring and our need for a mid-sized forward

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:i would like to know why ball only gets 46% of game time in a GF when in that period of time he had 22 touches 7 clearances, 7 tackles, 10 contested possies, 5 inside 50s, and earned 5 frees
had 7 clangers, but on a day like that thats going to happen...Lenny had 10

now thats a fantastic half of footy...and imo should of been on the ground for at least another 30mins

im puzzled by this :?
Must say that is 1 mystery I still dont understand.....he didnt appear injured...hes winning the footy......why wouldnt you play him?

Would love to know why......those stats for his time are pretty good...

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

beats me Teflon
lenny and bally were bloody great, then i just remember not seeing bally too much anymore
it was only much later i saw his TOG
im stumped, i well and truly dont understand it

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

99% of what you will read in the news at present on player trades is just rumour and speculation.

Some is also just fuelled by mangers seeking to push upa players salary.

If Magure is not part of Lyon's plans next year...no doubt he will be given the chance to play on elsewhere.

Equallya fit Goose with another pre-season may well be.

Ball is a different matter. Based on his GF I doubt he is going anwhere. But none of us at present know the reasons beghing Ball's low TOG. Is it fitness..is it ability..is it atttude???

I know that Hird has stated this week that it is due to:
* Ball not covering ground at pace
*lack of penetration in his kicking

...but again is that due to fitness...or declined skills????

One thing with ross though is that we know that he will make the tough calls.

But again this article is just pure speculation IMO.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Connors Tarrants manager? Not that this has any relevance whatsoever to the discussion...just wanted to get in on the act! :wink: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

I know that Hird has stated this week that it is due to:
* Ball not covering ground at pace
*lack of penetration in his kicking
Hird was just repeating what he heard in a speculative article earlier in the year.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

from a heraldsun article
St Kilda's Matt Maguire is another defender who could create interest at the Blues, although as of yesterday he was said to be favouring Hawthorn or Essendon, both of which have shown keen interest.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:from a heraldsun article
St Kilda's Matt Maguire is another defender who could create interest at the Blues, although as of yesterday he was said to be favouring Hawthorn or Essendon, both of which have shown keen interest.
I would be extremely happy if Hawthorn took him. A straight trade of Goose to Hawthorn and Rioli to us :wink:

Depends on how badly they want a defender I suppose. :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
reincarnated

saint75 wrote:
I would be extremely happy if Hawthorn took him. A straight trade of Goose to Hawthorn and Rioli to us :wink:

Because the choice of Gibson and Maguire is such a difficult one. Even with Maguire's suspect leg's. Reincarnated expects that whatever is potentially offered for Gibson get's replicated for Maguire regardless of his injuries.

Gibson is putrid

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

reincarnated wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Because the choice of Gibson and Maguire is such a difficult one. Even with Maguire's suspect leg's. Reincarnated expects that whatever is potentially offered for Gibson get's replicated for Maguire regardless of his injuries.

Gibson is putrid
Was a bit tongue in cheek reincarnated. Hawthorn are notoriously 'difficult' when it comes to trade week. Would love Rioli though.

Agree re-Gibson.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

L fisher
goose
and our highest pick for rioli
lol