This loss vs 97 GF......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Totally on board with Zed's post.

'97 far worse for me.
Geelong were worthy winners

Not that that makes me happy, but I at least I feel somehow decent about it. Still can't get the taste of hatred for Adelaide out of my mouth.
I think exactly the opposite.

I think 97 was easier to digest because, frankly, we got blown away and the finish was flat becasue we were steamrolled.

This time Geelong were GIFTED a flag because we made dumb mistakes. I don't think they were UNworthy winners. But I do think they were EXTREMELY lucky. And if they were honest, I think they'd agree.

09 was a close and avoidable defeat. 09 - as painful as it gets.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

1997 by far the worse...easily beaten by a team we should have pummled by 10 goals, we didn't even seem to put up a fight. At least we came out of this one know it was our own stupid fault, plus the 'experts' seem to agree we can hold our head up high and won't be looked on as a joke next year. I didn't feel that was after '97.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

This loss (to me) was worse. I was at both games. We lost easily in 97. We not good enough.

This year we were good enough to win, we did not take our chances. So to loose when we had the game in our sights, to be in the contest for so long, really hurts.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintly
Saintsational Legend

this time feels worse. I keep seeing that it took 12 years to get to the grand final from 97 to 2009. i'd hat e it unravel.

this time i cried, went to the family day. the players looked inconsolable.
we were the best all year and didn't win the grand final and i keep thinking how can we improve from that!

and i wonder gawd i hope the players don't think like that!
it must be very hard for them!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

This year is worse for me. Was at '97 and it was bloody horrible.
2009 is worse though because we chucked it away. So much promise from a dominant year, so much enjoyment from winning 19 in a row, so much expectation that at last we would taste success and at the end of it all, we have sfa. I really thought we would do it this year.

bozza1980
Club Player

Both sucked, but this one sucked more.

It really sucked and still sucks.

This loss will remain a millstone around our necks, question marks will remain until we finally win one. 1 more quarter, 1 lousy quarter and it is all completely different.