Max Hudghton Tributes - to be passed on to the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

emma
Club Player

SainterK i think that is an amazing idea.

Max,
You are adored by all who have anything to do with the St Kilda football club; for your loyalty, dedication, courage and passion.
A true champion, you will be sorely missed.
Always be a 'favourite son' to us.
Thanks for the memories.

saintly_safes
Club Player

You have been an out & out champion of the St.Kilda football club. I love you like a brother. All the best in what ever your future plans hold

widereceiver
Club Player

One of my favourite players ever to pull on a guernsey, not the most talented but amongst the most passionate and courageous.

I was sad you didn't get to go out with a flag and a great performance in the GF, but maybe your time was up having only played a handful of games. I will always remember you as one of our greats.

Shoulda been an All Australian full back, shoulda been a premiership player.

Thanks Max
Last edited by widereceiver on Mon 05 Oct 2009 3:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Legendary
Club Player

A guy who played for the jumper, the supporters and the club above anything else.

I will never forget the headlines when he cried, the fact that he shared the pain of loss with so many of us sitting in the stands.

Maxie was one of the blokes you felt a strong connection with as a supporter, because he showed the raw emotion that fans feel everyday of their life as St Kilda supporters.

He loved this club, he loved competing on the field, he loved when we won, he bled when we lost and he embodied St Kilda.

Maxie had courage in spades, and his fearlessness when attacking the footy was matched by few of his peers.

He improved in his last few years, becoming the best stopping defender in the AFL. He was never beaten in the contest, always ready with the third and fourth efforts.

My lasting memory of Maxie is that incredible closing speed, on the tail of his opponent, and the long reach and punch of the footy out of his opponent's hands. He could play on tall or small, quick or slow, and would beat all of them with the same courage and committment.

Max Hudghton, you are a champion of the St Kilda football club.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

you cried when I cried, you roared when I roared..

You bleed red white and black. You destroyed the best forwards and that respect will never disapear.

Will always have a spot in my red white and black heart for you max!

Thankyou

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Keep 'em coming people, thanks!

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Max, I've watched you all your career and you've been a great player for our club. Thanks for all the memories.

You were always a great player for the Saints, and will always have a great place in our hearts.

I wish you all the best in the future, for a wonderful life post football.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Long live the value and the courage of the St Kilda number 8.
So many jumper numbers mean so much, but this one has to go to someone special.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

never got the real credit you deserved
fantastic fullback and one of my two favorite players
legend
good luck with everything for the future

8-) 8-)

groupie1
Club Player

Max

Along with Robert Harvey, you're the bloke most truly deserving of the ultimate success with the Saints. As Shanahan and Penny came and went, you played a whole career above your weight division; your tactical brilliance and your courage and heart made up for that to make you easily one of the best defenders of the modern era. St Kilda fans recognise you as a genuine champion of the club, opponents recognise you as one of their most difficult to play against. You've been one of the 5-6 genuine elite at the club for the best part of a decade.

You bled red, white and black, shed tears in defeat, celebrated success, embodying the St Kilda motto Strength Through Loyalty.

We'll miss you, Max. Always reassuring to know you were lining up to take the opposition's best forward out of the game.

You're a truly important component of the St Kilda resurgence, and will always be remembered and admired by fans of the era as a true St Kilda warrior.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thank You for giving your all for the Mighty Saints, Max.

sydney saint
Club Player

Thank you Max . I loved the way way played the game. Should be able to bottle your passion & enthusiasm. You gave so much to St Kilda football club.Good luck in future ventures.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

max,

congratulations on a fabulous football career and all the best for the future. your courage and commitment over many seasons will not be forgotten and i hope you stay close to the club always.

saint64
Club Player

onya Maxie. Thanks for your commitment to the club and all the great memories.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Thank you Max :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Dear Max,

Thank you for all the hard work, dedication and passion you've given our football club. You personify all that is good about the game - determination, attitude, passion, and a genuine personality. You have been criminally underrated by opposition supporters and in media circles, but you have always been a favourite of ours. You were truly worthy of at least 2 AA guernsey's and it is a fallacy that you will not end up with a Premiership medal.

All our feelings as supporters were conveyed by you out on the ground. Like many supporters that fateful 2001 evening against the Dogs, you shed your tears, and we truly empathised with you. You rode every wave of emotion, from getting in Alistair Lynch's face after that Xav Clarke goal against Brisbane in 2004, to acknowledging everything your team mates did on match day. You were the general of our backline, and a true leader. There is nobody I'd want beside me in the tranches more than you, Bakes, Burkey or Barks.

You had an uncanny knack of getting a fist to the ball. Your deceptive closing speed and strength, allowed you to play on a variety of forwards. Over your career, you have been continually touted as the toughest full-back in the game by peers at other clubs - Fevola, Richardson and Franklin spring to mind. Your only direct opponent that could honestly say thay had the wood on you was Neitz, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Max, you were a trooper, and will always be remembered fondly by me. You have always been one of my personal favourites, and you have bled for the R, W & B. There is not a more desperate and passionate footballer out there than you, Max

Thanks for the memories, and hopefully see you at OHAFC next year with Buckets, Browny, Wakes & Vossy!

The Saints are coming!
westy
Club Player

Thanks Max. Not only were you true to the Saints, but also true to No. 8 Tough as nails. The praise from former opponents is testament to your ability. Good luck in the building industry.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Thank you Max, you gave so much to the club. Your passion and dedication is something any player can learn from. A gentleman and a true sainter legend. You will be so very missed!

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
RoseInOz
Club Player

Max my husband (a Hawks supporter) and I have always thought you were the most under-rated player in the AFL. You really deserved to be an All-Australian.
We will miss your hard-nosed playing and courage under fire.
Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Rose Murtagh

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
megs4#31
Club Player

Thank you Maxy for being a one-club player and showing exactly what heart St Kilda players should have. You will always have a place in the hearts of St Kilda supporters. I always knew the ball was safe in your hands and your skills and dedication were always 110%

Best for the future mate.... GO SAINTAS!

Go saints, 2009 is our year!
milney044
Club Player

Maxy Hudghton
I think Rob Harvey sumed it up best when he said no other player had graced the number like yourself. And that coming from Banger is saying something.

You truly were supurb Maxy and with such a fear of being beaten, you so rarely were. One of the most consistent and reliable players to get the job done. And although you retire without that most desired premiership medallion, you can at least hold your hat on this. I could count on my fingers the number of times you were beaten over your career and that is one mighty achievement.

Thanks for all you gave to the STKFC, we really couldn't have asked for any more. A true Sainter from start to finish.

All the best Max

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
MACEwasACE
Club Player

Max,

Your are an Out and Out Champion for of the Club the AFL and yourself.

We'll miss you.

Thanks for the memories and good luck with what ever you do from now on.

IF It is to be it is up to me.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

nice work Bakes fan

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it perfect....he is very talented.

This will be the cover for the book to be sent to Max, I hope everyone continues to post some tributes.