raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:Will bashing individual players here alter the result? Please Folks! don't let your disappointment and frustration at a loss today, cloud your judgement. The team were let down by POOR KICKING!!! If we had built up the lead our play deserved we could have been praising Raph!!

No time for bitterness, let us build for NEXT YEAR!!!!!!
This ^. If the small forwards had of kicked straight like they do for most part we wouldn't be here suggesting trades... we would be praising them.

Nobody sheparded Raph or warned him when he got tackled in the first... I love his run out of the back line (in general..)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:I did the cardinal sin and watched the replay this morning after wanting to erase it as soon as I got home yesterday. Raph Clarke plays with NO urgency or desperation and he is too indecisive. His second efforts can be read a mile away, that's how slow his reaction time is. I always hoped Max would come in for him and watching the replay reinforced my belief that this was the only decision this year that I did not agree with Lyon. Max would have been more inspiring to his teammates out there yesterday and this will always make the loss even more bitter to me.
Max has retired. Get over it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintkid
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:I did the cardinal sin and watched the replay this morning after wanting to erase it as soon as I got home yesterday. Raph Clarke plays with NO urgency or desperation and he is too indecisive. His second efforts can be read a mile away, that's how slow his reaction time is. I always hoped Max would come in for him and watching the replay reinforced my belief that this was the only decision this year that I did not agree with Lyon. Max would have been more inspiring to his teammates out there yesterday and this will always make the loss even more bitter to me.
I felt the same way Supersaint but seems others think differently about Clarke being more valuable to the team's structure. :roll:

HarveysDeciple

saintkid wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
I felt the same way Supersaint but seems others think differently about Clarke being more valuable to the team's structure. :roll:
Raph Clarked played on Shannon Byrnes.....could max have followed Byrnes up to a wing and tackled him when he twisted and turned inside out?
Not a snowflakes chance in hell.

SuperSaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Yes hindsight makes for meaningless speculation but Max retired today the 27th, he was still a listed player on the 26th. :wink:

davidgrantfan
Club Player

Raph did Ok...in fact rather well in all the finals. He had a fantastic last quarter against Footscray, and played very well against Collingwood. (just a shame he missed that kick for goal...would have boosted his confidence further I reckon). Raph has improved game by game, and I think he is probably a lot faster than he looks. He is one player who stood up in the finals and that is what we need.

I agree that Raph looked like a fish out water against Geelong early in round 14 , but I think we have to back Lyon's call.

Raph is taking marks and feeding goal- assisting handballs. Sure he has had some clangers but he isnt Robinson Crusoe in that department. That happens to the best of them.

I could name several players that people here thought should have been sacked last year, or not drafted, and yet they have all become key team players.

Raph is not the problem, just as Max was not the solution. Luckily for us Raph hasn't taken all this whipping boy stuff to heart. Give the guy a break and trust for once that Lyon knows what he is doing.

"Even the most widely held opinions should never be regarded as an ultimate truth"...Science and Public Policy Institute USA.. on the subject of climate change.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

He didn't have a good game and was the weak link in the zone a number of times.

Got skinned by Byrnes a few times at critical moments when we had the ball locked into their F50 and applying pressure in the last.

Cats would desperately clear, footy would go to Byrnes, he'd break and the pressure valve is released.

He just always seemed on the back foot. His injured calf wouldn't have helped.

I think Ross knew this and moved him onto Johnson in the end.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:i like him,
yes at the start he did some TERRIBLE things.
but i really am coming around to the big fella.
Ok so every media commentator and every other fan from every other club is wrong? saints fans see raph through thick rose tinted lenses.

bozza1980
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ok so every media commentator and every other fan from every other club is wrong? saints fans see raph through thick rose tinted lenses.
Since when do we make desicions on our players based on what other clubs' supporters think?? Are you kidding me?? All year these same idiots told us we were overrated and no good, yet they have some idea about our players, spare me!!

Media other club supporters I don't care what anybody else thinks, Raph was a solid contributor yesterday. He has picked up the mantle of St Kilda whipping boy that Jason Blake was finally able to shake off this year. I'm glad for Blake but sorry for Raph and I'll be sorry for the bloke that inherits the mantle from Raph.

I don't have rose or any other coloured glasses, he is not our best player and he never will be, but he is in our best 22 and bleating about his mistakes until you blow a gasket isn't going to change this.

max#8

hopefully after his performance lyon can finally see that raph has no place in our football team. he was panicky and cluzty and incapable to corale. his two efforts against burns in the last when he matched him to the ball but then got beaten and allowed an uncontested kick into their 50 was dreadful. even though he provides some kind of run out of defence his decision making and disposal do not allow him to dictate play. he season has been average, always doubts were placed over him. he did not deliver and its hard to think that he ever will, hes is not good enough and should get the f*** out of this team. he may not have cost us the game but he just is not good enough to perform consistently at this level.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

max#8 wrote:hopefully after his performance lyon can finally see that raph has no place in our football team. he was panicky and cluzty and incapable to corale. his two efforts against burns in the last when he matched him to the ball but then got beaten and allowed an uncontested kick into their 50 was dreadful. even though he provides some kind of run out of defence his decision making and disposal do not allow him to dictate play. he season has been average, always doubts were placed over him. he did not deliver and its hard to think that he ever will, hes is not good enough and should get the f*** out of this team. he may not have cost us the game but he just is not good enough to perform consistently at this level.

You win. Tool of the year. Congratulations. In the mail later this week.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
After watching the game, I was surprised to find that Raph was the reason we lost it...I thought the 14 points we kicked may have been more relevant.

max#8

plugger66 wrote:
max#8 wrote:hopefully after his performance lyon can finally see that raph has no place in our football team. he was panicky and cluzty and incapable to corale. his two efforts against burns in the last when he matched him to the ball but then got beaten and allowed an uncontested kick into their 50 was dreadful. even though he provides some kind of run out of defence his decision making and disposal do not allow him to dictate play. he season has been average, always doubts were placed over him. he did not deliver and its hard to think that he ever will, hes is not good enough and should get the f*** out of this team. he may not have cost us the game but he just is not good enough to perform consistently at this level.

how bout you reply with a point instead of just dismissing my argument. he gets caught with the ball more than any other player in our team and his efforts yesterday were not up to scratch.

Milton66
SS Life Member

max#8 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

how bout you reply with a point instead of just dismissing my argument. he gets caught with the ball more than any other player in our team and his efforts yesterday were not up to scratch.
Your crowbar is in the mail. Use it wisely, please.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

max#8 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe it is the way you posted your thoughts.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Or maybe you are wrong. The people who know/play with/coach Raph hold him in high regard. I'm tipping that you're not chairman of selectors?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Will bashing individual players here alter the result? Please Folks! don't let your disappointment and frustration at a loss today, cloud your judgement. The team were let down by POOR KICKING!!! If we had built up the lead our play deserved we could have been praising Raph!!

Agree. Isn't it funny that a thread knocking him, once again gets more posts than a thread on Friday trying to support him. Hence my "infamous" pledge support threads.

The reason I picked Raph, Blake, Ray and Zac to have those pledge threads is because they cop so much S++T on this forum week in and week out and I am sick of it.

Raph was injured and if no one saw that, then they weren't at the game. Yes, he got tackled in the first minute. It's done. There were lots of individual events in the game. I am too dignified and hurt to single out.

Goodnight.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:

Agree. Isn't it funny that a thread knocking him, once again gets more posts than a thread on Friday trying to support him. Hence my "infamous" pledge support threads.

The reason I picked Raph, Blake, Ray and Zac to have those pledge threads is because they cop so much S++T on this forum week in and week out and I am sick of it.

Raph was injured and if no one saw that, then they weren't at the game. Yes, he got tackled in the first minute. It's done. There were lots of individual events in the game. I am too dignified and hurt to single out.

Goodnight.
Sadly, some people need a scapegoat to cope with their own shortcomings. Also known as the "victim" mentality where people have to blame some one.

I sat near some real tools yesterday, and if I wasn't outnumbered, it would have got ugly on the train.

Raph is no superstar, has a long way to go and has only played a handful of games.

Overall, he has proved his worth over the last 2 finals series.

Ignore the muppets on this forum.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mostly rubbish.....

he was terrible....especially with the footy in hand....but at times he was easier to run around than Faser Gehrig....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:He's great 95% of the time, but occasionally plays as if he's on another planet. Like that time he got tackled by Rooke today.
Was that the time a team mate peeled off for a handball rather than lay a sheperd??
Yep. That time.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Yes hindsight makes for meaningless speculation but Max retired today the 27th, he was still a listed player on the 26th. :wink:
Max was told six weeks ago that he would not get another game.
Facts are facts. Footy is a cruel meat market. No place for sentimentality, except among supporters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Facts are facts. Footy is a cruel meat market. No place for sentimentality, except among supporters.
I agree that I think he was told quite some weeks ago, it's just media that couldn't let it go...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Confirmed my worst fears. He's starting to get targeted by the opposition for his lack of urgency.

Lovely bloke from all accounts but he's still not in our best 22 when, IMO, there are better options.

He should hire a stalker over summer to get him used to life under pressure. Just hates it.

Nice runner when he has the ball but I fear his brain explosions cost the team at least 1-2 goals each week. It also boosts the opposition and hurts us mentally.

Just has to improve. He'll be aware of that now, if he wasn't already.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Why would Max have been told that when Ross knew that if something happened to Zac, Max would be required.

Telling Max he would never play again 6 weeks ago isn't exactly keeping him on his toes is it?

Phuck you don't half talk some sh1t.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

well done, a poster has finally made me totally agree with plugger66

TOOL OF THE YEAR

Put his body on the line and gave us flexibility. Lets be honest, it was a scarlett toe poke between victory and loss

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith