Third tall / Lead up forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The darkness wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The darkness wrote:
desertsaint wrote:as an example - for the hawks, barry hall has been touted as a potential lead up forward, along with buddy, to allow roughead to play deeper near the goal square.
i reckon steve johnson fits the bill perfectly - if only mooney and hawkins were better.

who do we have as an option? no one really comes to mind.
Gwilt hasn't shown enough unfortunately.
Hope we look closely at this come draft time.
who is going to play this role in the next few weeks...not at the draft table
We may be forced to stick with Gwilt just to play the role and hope that he pulls his finger out and contributes for 4 quarters...He has all the attributes but fades in and out too much...could be such a damaging player, both physically and on the scoreboard though just doesnt seem to want to impose himself on the game.

From what I hear, Jimmy is a lovely guy, who just lacks confidence.
He doesn't truly believe he belongs in the side.
If he ever gets to the point where he truly accepts he should be there, he could be anything.

Oh well thats great...Im sure hes a ripper of a bloke, but how much incentive does a bloke need to pull his finger out and believe in himself...He could be the key to a frekin premiership FFS.
I'll take an arse of a bloke that wants to work his ring off for 4 quarters anyday.
I'm sure the coaching staff and psychologists are all telling him just that.
If we're lucky it'll sink in and he'll prove to be as much of a match winner as he was in that final in Adelaide.

rexy
SS Life Member

The darkness wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The darkness wrote:
desertsaint wrote:as an example - for the hawks, barry hall has been touted as a potential lead up forward, along with buddy, to allow roughead to play deeper near the goal square.
i reckon steve johnson fits the bill perfectly - if only mooney and hawkins were better.

We may be forced to stick with Gwilt just to play the role and hope that he pulls his finger out and contributes for 4 quarters...He has all the attributes but fades in and out too much...could be such a damaging player, both physically and on the scoreboard though just doesnt seem to want to impose himself on the game.

If he ever gets to the point where he truly accepts he should be there, he could be anything.

Oh well thats great...Im sure hes a ripper of a bloke, but how much incentive does a bloke need to pull his finger out and believe in himself...He could be the key to a frekin premiership FFS.
I'll take an arse of a bloke that wants to work his ring off for 4 quarters anyday.
To be fair I have never seen work rate as his issue???

He needs to be a better player to have a long career but it is not pulling his finger out that is the issue. Beleiving in yourself is not about trying harder, it is about backing your judgement and taking risks etc. It will either just happen or it wont IMO.

For what it is worth I thought Jones Ray Mqualter and a few others looked like they were playing safe on Sunday. Looked like the preassure of keeping a spot for the finals was waying on them.

Maybe this year?
reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:Can someone please explain what a "lead up forward" actually is?
Its the forward that does not get much of the football due to the team always going for Roo or Kosi

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:From what I hear, Jimmy is a lovely guy, who just lacks confidence.
He doesn't truly believe he belongs in the side. If he ever gets to the point where he truly accepts he should be there, he could be anything.
i hope he can find that self belief as i do think he has something to offer. he is still young and his time may come.

i think this week he's out purely to make space for lenny and ball.

rexy
SS Life Member

reincarnated wrote:
Its the forward that does not get much of the football due to the team always going for Roo or Kosi

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:) there's a bit of truth in that.

a "lead up forward" is a forward who leads "up".

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Could Farren Ray play the lead up forward role ??

Takes a good grab,bit of pace,pressure skills,nice enough kick,should ba able to spin around and get it in quick and every now and then ghost across a pack for a deep mark.....

Thoughts ??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

not the worst idea as he takes a good grab.

bj would be the best option but is so valuable as a utility. wouldn't be surprised, though, to see him playing there at times over the next few weeks.

The darkness
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:Could Farren Ray play the lead up forward role ??

Takes a good grab,bit of pace,pressure skills,nice enough kick,should ba able to spin around and get it in quick and every now and then ghost across a pack for a deep mark.....

Thoughts ??
Great option, could definitely play the role...has a huge engine too...seems strange though that no one has nailed down this spot.
We will be going into the finals playing guys in a pinch hitter type role rather than having a bloke who has made the spot his own . By not having a third tall to make the floating/ lose defensive player accountable we will get chopped up across half back. Opossition teams will simply let Roo roam further away from goal and cut off any further entry toward Kosi. Maybe I am cluthing at straws but the more I think about this the more worried i get.. Im sure Ross has his plans though but this is the one aspect of the team that worries me..

mustangjack
Club Player

i think zac could be the man hes quick good hands and a good kick with a bit of c,,,,, to disable any back line . :idea:

Milton66
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
The darkness wrote:

I think he has a fair bit of footy talent. Maybe his game against the Crows in the finals has set expectations on him too high?

Or perhaps we expect him to play to our perceptions, rather than what's asked of him.

Sadly, many supporters rate players based on disposals or goals. Guys like JG and Eddy are workhorses, who's job is to free up the stars. If they kick a goal or 2, then it's probably a bonus.

That said, JG is my footy fairytale poster boy, and I'd love to see him do well, given where he's come from in a footy sense.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
35...LEGEND
Club Player

The darkness wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:Could Farren Ray play the lead up forward role ??

Thoughts ??
Great option, could definitely play the role...has a huge engine too...seems strange though that no one has nailed down this spot.
We will be going into the finals playing guys in a pinch hitter type role rather than having a bloke who has made the spot his own . By not having a third tall to make the floating/ lose defensive player accountable we will get chopped up across half back. Opossition teams will simply let Roo roam further away from goal and cut off any further entry toward Kosi. Maybe I am cluthing at straws but the more I think about this the more worried i get.. Im sure Ross has his plans though but this is the one aspect of the team that worries me..

like you i worry too....becomes too easy at times for the opposition to kill off forward thrust's......

But at the same time we won 19 straight with noone nailing down the job.....worried about nothing maybe :?

Still would like to see Farren given an oppotunity at it.....maybe it's a wild card for September...............................aaaaand maybe not. :P

Milton66
SS Life Member

I think too many miss the point, without sounding rude.

The premise of our game plan has been fwd pressure in order to cause turnovers, and goals.

Therefore, the reason we have done well is that our fwd set up may not require that 3rd tall fwd that everyone is stressing about.

Bringing the ball to ground via tackles etc, allows our crumbers and mids to create scoring opportunities.

Combine that with restricting the opp from scoring, and you get a 19-2 result.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

its a shame if what MM says he has heard is true

i think he has a monster left foot, is reasonably accurate and the guy is actually very quick....we just dont see it very often

OI!!
Jimmy
stop the im not good enough shite
ya are....
just get out there and do it
train the f****** house down mate and get into this side

fire up!!!
8-)

Quixote
SS Life Member

I think Ben McEvoy should be 2nd ruck and our 3rd tall forward. Great gloves and a super kick.

Reckon he is playing for a Finals Series this Sunday vs Kingy.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
ace
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt is the best lead up forward in the business.
Unfortunately we need him to stay close to goal to kick a winning score.
Riewoldt can't be in two places at once.

There are two solutions to the problem in future years.
1 Find a lead up forward.
2 Find someone to replace Riewoldt close to goal.

The second of these two options may prove easier to find.
It would be especially good if the replacement can kick more accurately than Riewoldt.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
starsign
Club Player

I still can't help thinking BJ is they key to it come September

Maybe wishful thinking after witnessing his amazing !st Q way back, but I'm also mindful of his great value upfield

The Farren Ray proposal has merit, as too Zac if their diligent efforts to get Max back to his optimum succeeds

I've been hoping like hell Jimmy could just take that extra step all year
His body strength in and around, and the raking left-footers have been his upside, but it's that vital missing ingredient, I agree

Sammy H would've been handy!

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

The issue is if you have the third player/lead up whatever you want to call them then you have to use them.

How many times do the other players actually kick it to Gwilt.

I would suggest that the figures and I am sure there are stats somewhere that for every 50 times the saints go inside 50

it is direceted to #12 25 times, #23 15 times, #44 5times and take your pick the rest.

So it is a bit hard on Jimmy to say he is not working as the third tall when his marking opportunities might be 5 a game.

Our problem has always been that #12 is such a focus and we need that plan b and c, that might involve Gwilt or others and getting the deliverers to actually look for those other options.

saint vince
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Fair question milton66, and a term often used and maybe misunderstood.

I could be (and probably am) completely wrong but I would describe it as :

Also known as a "hit-up" forward,

a 183-190cm "half forward flanker" who can lead from the 25-35 metre mark, taking a top 3 defender with him to the 65-70 metre mark.

Ideally a strong mark, good hands, solid through the hips and can swing both sides and drill the ball to "the spot" that the big two should be at.

Can then immediately turn on the forward pressure should the ball rebound, and at the same time having enough impact to make the oppo coach consider putting a top 1 or 2 defender on him.

Just my take on what I've thought to be that type of player.
If only we could have this bloke. Just described a hypothetical great of the game. If we could get a few of these qualities I would behappy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The forward line is built around two big-marking forwards and two small crumbers, so a flanker like Gwilt is pretty much doing the assists or grabbing a mark here and there for a goal shot. He would be getting more action if he flew against Roo and Kozi in marking duels, but that's not his job. We should also be looking at getting more goals from the midfielders -still a deficiency regardless of winning or not. Speaking of Gwilt, I would love to see him played in the centre as he could play that position like Greg Williams, -strong body, not that quick, but excellent penetrating disposal by hand and foot.. something our midfield lacks a bit.

saint vince
Club Player

spert wrote:The forward line is built around two big-marking forwards and two small crumbers, so a flanker like Gwilt is pretty much doing the assists or grabbing a mark here and there for a goal shot. He would be getting more action if he flew against Roo and Kozi in marking duels, but that's not his job. We should also be looking at getting more goals from the midfielders -still a deficiency regardless of winning or not. Speaking of Gwilt, I would love to see him played in the centre as he could play that position like Greg Williams, -strong body, not that quick, but excellent penetrating disposal by hand and foot.. something our midfield lacks a bit.
I'm pretty sure in that QF in 05 he played on the wing or on the ball. I thought that was the psition he was going to end up playing.

aussiejones
Club Player

I agree with "How many times do the other players actually kick it to Gwilt. "

Gwilt has shown a bit recently IMO. Plus he is a well built unit.
Needs to be used more as a kick to player. Plan B when Kosi and Roo get too much attention.

saint vince
Club Player

spert wrote:The forward line is built around two big-marking forwards and two small crumbers, so a flanker like Gwilt is pretty much doing the assists or grabbing a mark here and there for a goal shot. He would be getting more action if he flew against Roo and Kozi in marking duels, but that's not his job. We should also be looking at getting more goals from the midfielders -still a deficiency regardless of winning or not. Speaking of Gwilt, I would love to see him played in the centre as he could play that position like Greg Williams, -strong body, not that quick, but excellent penetrating disposal by hand and foot.. something our midfield lacks a bit.
I'm pretty sure in that QF in 05 he played on the wing or on the ball. I thought that was the psition he was going to end up playing.